1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Really Real Eagle Tribe

Discussion in 'Eagles' started by Cyc, Nov 15, 2010.

?

Pick your Tribe!

Poll closed Nov 20, 2010.
  1. Byzantines

75.0%
  2. Japan

25.0%
  1. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

If we do play as the Byzantines and get hit with the early GA, it will give us a slight boost in getting the Great Lighthouse and possibly the Great Library.

edit: Post 888!

2. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

If there is a GA earlier than desired is there anything that can be done to make it a positive?

Hmm, To have enough Dromons exposed to this would mean many cities are actualy founded circling the capitol and then stretching to the coast and expanding on it is still a great amount of time. We can take this time to consider what to do in this event, else we choose when it will occur :)

3. CharlemagneXLII

CharlemagneXLII Prince

Not in a while, no, I remember now that that does cause the GA. My Byzantine experience comes mostly from playing against them (human opponents).

I would like to try to cooperate with our neighbours, so hopefully we don't get a GA before we want it. That being said, it is worth it IMO for the domination of the seas. (Plus, there can be wonders gotten as Sparthage said.)

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

If we choose to be the Byzantines, we will start on the coast. So creating our core, we will have at least three cities on the coast. That means a good third of our core can build Dromons. If other Tribes are inland Tribes, they will have to work their way to the water.

One of our coastal core cities could work on mining so that it will be a potential Wonder builder (I see the Great Light House and the Mausoleum of Mausollos being mentioned), although I must warn you, Calis is dead set against building Culture. I think the most I've seen him build is the Great Wall.

5. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

Was there some discussion early on of everyone starting at the coast? I thought I read something about that but now I can't find it.

6. Cyc

No, it was not proposed as a requirement. The question I remember was should all sea-faring Tribes start on the coast. How dumb is that? Some of the topics CIFO raise are way out in left field.

7. Calis

Calis on time

:eek: I am not too eager to build culture buildings just for the culture. I try to build useful buildings (as in boost research).

As I mentioned somewhere else, building libraries will give us culture anyway. I am not very wonder addicted, that is true. But The Great Lighthouse as the Byzantines is a must have (for me).

8. Calis

Calis on time

I asked Lanzelot about this and I understood that is is made sure that saefaring tribes start on the coast. Otherwise playing the Byzantines would be without much sense.

9. Cyc

:) I understand your stance on culture. And I am glad we got a commitment here. :thumbsup:

But see, in my resource-barren games, Temples do serve a purpose. They allow growth and expansion. They are also an initial blocking, so to speak, of an AI cultural assault. Not only do they establish culture for me, but in order to combat my Temples, the AI must stress Wonders. The more Wonders they build, the more I can capture.

Yes, now SEA Tribes will start on the coast. Guaranteed. I explicity discussed this with denyd, as it wouldn't make much sense to have it otherwise. I closely monitored and contributed to that discussion (I don't even know why it existed), to make sure no bozo rule would emerge. It was one of my first opinion forming experiences with CIFO.

EDIT: Ah, good. Chamnix finally voted. Thank you, sir.

10. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

It looks like we have a Byzantine (7/13) majority guys.

11. Chamnix

Chamnix Chasing Time

I was considering holding out until the really really real Eagle tribe, but I finally gave in :).

I'm not convinced that the Byzantines are that good for multiplayer civ3, but I want to find out :).

12. Cyc

:D And at this point, it appears you'll get your wish, as there is only 7 or so more hours to vote.

13. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

Aye, a lot may depend on the layout of the map. Should be interesting. :)

14. Cyc

With Falcon02 gaining access today, that makes 14 citizens. Even if the remaining citizens who haven't voted in this poll all vote for Japan, the Byzantines will still win.

Citizens of the Eagle nation, we have choosen our Tribe.

15. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Hey, what if 7 newcomers get access in the next 11 hours and they all vote for Japan?

16. Cyc

:blush:
    I thought yesterday was today....

We will see what happens. :)

17. Cyc

Just wondering. When, exactly, did you ask Lanzelot about this? :dubious:

18. Calis

Calis on time

T'was several days ago...

19. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Poll is officially closed. The really real eagle tribe is Byzantium.

20. Cyc

Hey, we had 12 of 14 possible votes cast in this poll. Excellent. :thumbsup: