1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Reason You Play Civ III

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by jarhead_leif, Oct 23, 2012.

1. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Agree with Rysmiel ... the scale of the game. I'm going to take another run at Civ4, but the individual unit promotions are kinda daunting sometimes. I enjoy bigger armies; I'm learning to enjoy hand-crafted armies of individual units. I enjoy having lots of cities; I'm learning to specialize for GP production. I prefer the Civ3 cultural victory conditions over Civ4's.

2. goodsmell

goodsmell Psychonaturalist

This comment and all other comments solve another dilemma (go back to civ3 or give civ4 another shot)

I guess I'll stick to civ3 as I always do :D haha

3. Dishpan_Hans

Dishpan_Hans Chieftain

I still play because after all these years of on-off playing I've never mastered Monarch :king: level, never really played higher levels.

It can still piss me off. It still gets emotional. I still accuse the AI of cheating...get mad, :mad: delete my saved game...and am back to playing within a few days. :crazyeye:

Also, I got my father CIV IV one Xmas and he didn't like it and lost a disc for it. So I never got to play it much.

4. Loudspeaker

Loudspeaker Chieftain

I remember buying civ1 in 1991 or -92... It gave me a woderful game experience that I have never tried before. Then came civ2, and I thought this was perfect (exept that you could kill an unlimited amount of troops with just one unit, if they were stacked). Just as I thought civ could not be any better came civ3. I loved it and still do. A friend gave me civ4. Didn't like it. Returned to civ3 and have stayed there ever since.

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Because CivIII just has better graphic artists :mischief:

6. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

:thumbsup:

7. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

I play Civ III because I find it easier to mod than the fancy 3D stuff in Civ IV and up. I just use Poser and a few other "low end" 3D programs to make my own graphics. I believe for Civ IV you need considerably more resources to serioiusly mod it. I could be wrong...I really never got into Civ IV and don't own V so I'm not 100% on that. But overall I'm comfortable with modding Civ III and find it easy to do. I guess I'm a little nostaligic too. :)

8. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

It makes me wonder what program it is.:)

9. nyarmondt

nyarmondt Chieftain

Main reason = I like civ - obviously ;)

Second reason, I like it better as civ2 (not as civ1 - but my eyes can't behold those old dos graphics for prolonged periods as I used to do. )

Third reason, my oldish computer can't handle civ4 or 5

10. knight508

knight508 Chieftain

Because I just want to achieve a single victory at least on Regent difficulty at this point. The game was part of a really good Steam summer sale so I decided to fire it up. Definitely the most aggravating out of Civ 3, 4, and 5 IMO. I've yet to win a single game so now I'm damn determined to do so at the "non-cheating" level of Regent. I'm doing okay right now but I had to reload once because I overlooked something. This game has very, very, very low tolerances with even the most nanoscopic of mistakes having devastating outcomes for your hours of invested time (I now save frequently).

Well, after a couple more hours I think I'll honestly toss this game to the curb. It's just not fun to play. Too clicky, too many cities to manage, too many units to manage, too many things that can be overlooked (causing saving almost every turn), the civlopedia is a bit lacking (constantly alt-tabbing to look up what should be quick/obvious things), super volatile AI, and enemy units can move just as quickly in your territory (and vice-verse). For the amount of time you have to spend constantly tweaking stuff (anarchy/corruption/unhappiness doesn't help) it seems you'd get twice the fun per hour in either 4 or 5 or something completely different (Endless Space!).

11. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

For a newcomer it may be a bit overwhelming at first, as long as you are not yet familiar with the UI and the basics of what has to be done manually and what can be left to the governor.
    My advice to you would be: try a smaller map and when starting the game activate the flag "Accelerated Production". The game goes faster then. Ah, and make sure you are starting the Conquest version not the Vanilla version (not sure, which one Steam will set as your default...) the UI is much improved in the latest version.
    Also helpful to minimize the amount of time spent for micro-managing everything: install and get familiar with CivAssist II. (Can be downloaded here from the Tools forum.) After I discovered this tool, the time for playing a well-concentrated game was reduced to a third for me.
    This should help you having fun playing while at the same time becoming familiar with the finer details of the game. In the end I think that Civ III is still the best and the most fun of the entire series. This is the one where having a good strategy from start to end matters most.

12. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

There are a few mistakes that some less-experienced players make, which you may be making. Build lots of roads, since they increase commerce which leads to more science. That requires building more workers in the early game, to build those roads. Don't fill interior cities with defenders - unlike Civ4, the cities don't get upset when there are no troops present. Indeed, if you're running Republic, you won't get any military police (MP) happiness benefit.

Having said that, the different games in the Civ franchise appeal to people with different temperaments. Civ3 fans like to found and conquer lots of cities, and field large armies. Civ4 fans like to specialize their cities, and there are multiple beelines in the tech tree to get the right wonders. The rock-paper-scissors nature of Civ4 combat appeals to some more than Civ3's use of armies and MGLs. Civ5 goes even further, emphasizing tall empiers of 5 or 8 cities, vs. Civ3 empires of 50, 70 or more cities. If you find other Civ games more appealing, then we'll look for you in the other forums on the site!

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

You really don't need to be constantly tweaking cities due to corruption, at least on Regent or Monarch. Some players do that, particularly on higher levels, but for mere mortals, that's overkill and may indeed suck out the fun. Build courthouses in moderately-corrupt cities and learn to live with the rest.

Unhappiness isn't that hard to deal with, either. Once a city starts rioting, go into it, click the center tile, and the game automagically re-assigns citizens so that they are happy. If a lot of cities are rioting, it's a sign that something is wrong (you need more temples/cathedrals/luxuries/luxury funding, or less war), but it's easy to whack the moles when they do come up. I find it much less annoying to deal with unhappiness in Civ3 than Civ5, where you can found a new city and all of a sudden have -75% production everywhere because your people are now "very unhappy".

You shouldn't have to save every turn, either. Yes, good decisions early on are rewarded, but a few bad decisions rarely ruins the day on Regent. Even on Monarch, you can win while occasionally making stupid decisions. If you realize soon after that you made a boneheaded move, there are auto-saves. But I'd personally recommend taking it slower and accepting the mistakes in the short-term. Play a game, post a couple saves here, and ask for some analysis of why things might have gone wrong. Within three games, you'll likely have a good shot at winning. Couldn't hurt to upload a save now. We can guess at what might be making it seem so tedious, but with it a save it might be easy to point to one or two things that are making everything else zero-tolerance.