The recent downtime

The point is moot anyways. vBulletin is fully capable of handling a site the size of CFC, and these problems, if it's not a problem with the server/host itself, is a problem with the people in charge of managing the software and finer details of the content on the server.

Removing features is not the way to go.

I strongly disagree with the removal of forum jump. Yes, I would rather see it go than more useful things like PMs or Social Groups. Yes, if it singlehandedly crashes the servers constantly then it should go. However, I doubt that is true. These My Account glitches are annoying as well and I would like them to stop.

However, I do want to thank the hardworking people at CFC and Atomic Gamer for getting the server back online and that I'm sure that these problems will be a short chapter in the history of CFC.

:D

Is that Plotinus on the left ?

Great drawing ! :goodjob:

I thought about drawing all the mods, but gave up after glancing at the list. So here I only included admins (so yes that's Plotinus). And Lefty.

Thunderfall's towers rather poorly drawn; I've never been good at drawing ships. :blush:

Just want to add my voice to the people asking for subscriptions/read posts to be sorted out. It is extremely irritating to keep up with threads without this feature working correctly.

Only that downtime on Saturday, but the rest...

I reported an Database error in the previous thread... I think it was on the last or first to last page.

speaking of OFF TOPIC. What is the reason for that pile. If this is a conversation about elimination, start there.

It gives a place for everything that does not fit into other places to go other than away or constantly having Mods spend all their time saying "that's not a Civ topic, deleted".

I haven't had a single server busy message since that massive outage. :goodjob:

I haven't had a single server busy message since that massive outage. :goodjob:

Good to hear. Note that what I was trying to do (that apparently caused / exacerbated the outage) was to repair database tables. It may be that damaged tables were part of the problem, as they have now been completely rebuilt. Please continue to report outage / slowdown issues.

I'll see what I can do re the subscriptions. There is an intermediate option I can investigate.

RE the forum jump menu: Apparently it generate a crapload of html on every page, so removing it reduces server load and consequently also reduces page load times.

If you're investigating something else, could you possibly return it back to the server-side subscriptions and not cookie-side in the meantime? I doubt that was causing much of an issue to begin with, and even if it is, cookie-based subscription issues are more annoying than occasional server hiccups.

And if they are causing an issue, well, try the intermediate solution.

RE the forum jump menu: Apparently it generate a crapload of html on every page, so removing it reduces server load and consequently also reduces page load times.

I understand, keep it away then. Forum Jump: R.I.P

This all threads viewed thing is one of the more annoying things that's happened.

I agree. It really shouldn't be a permanent change, it's very difficult to deal with.

It's always the same, isn't it? Should be simple enough to greasemonkey that back in.

vBulletin has had server-side thread tracking since v3.5.0, which was released 6½ years ago. Surely if servers 6½ years ago could handle the extra sql and cpu load, then servers today can handle it too?

And yeah, I can't see the forum jump thing being too big a deal. It could just be hardcoded into the site's layout, rather than regenerated on every page load (I assume that there is some subroutine that is querying the database, looking for forums visible to this user, then plonking them into a drop-down).

EDIT: Did a google for the thread marking thing. Is the "intermediate" option you're talking about "Database (no automatic forum marking)", ainwood? As per this thread? http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=172692 Cos yeah, it says in there that that option puts less load on the server than option 3, which seems like what we were using before.

I wouldn't notice a difference, personally, in terms of usability btwn #2 and #3.

Top Bottom