The Refugee game mechanic.

egaonogenki

Warlord
War, famine, disease, and disasters - they are the major reasons for refugee migrations. So are economies that fall off a cliff.

Do weather (and earthquake) disasters happen yet in Civ? (Last Civ I played was 4.) If not, that ought to (On the easiest difficulties, not quite, but more often the higher difficulty you play.) Regardless, any weather disasters should cause a refugee crisis in nearby civs.

(Or if your civ is big enough, the population just gets shifted to nearby cities.)

Famine: I understand that in previous civs, you could only feed civs from your LOCAL farmland.

However, why not let that no longer be the sole way to feed your people? If your population is bigger than what your local sources provide in your city's radius, why not truck in (train in, ship in, or fly in) the crops from farther away? Trade-off would be to pay extra for transportation, and if from OTHER civilizations, pay another premium atop that.

But when that is NOT affordable, that's when famine strikes. So, that's when refugees must move to other areas.

If there's a war, then your civilian population drains from the front lines because they must find safer living elsewhere. However, you RECEIVE a population boom if a war is near to your civ's cities. Because of the obvious burdens, you pay extra fees to house them, but can appeal to the UN for aid.

If it's a disease refugee crisis, your hospitals overflow and your population gets sick, unless you pay extra fees for new vaccines and treatments.

I would like extra challenges in this game, so the Refugee game mechanic is welcome. (I would take in as many refugees as I can, and try to resettle them in whatever new cities I build.)

I would like to see it, preferably as one part of a new population/migration mechanic. I wouldn't want lots of random disasters or diseases though.

I would like to see a system where each city have sort of a "desirability rating", with migration going from cities with low to high desirability. Famine, looting and nearby warfare should naturally give a city an extremely low rating, thereby providing a refugee mechanic. Preferably, I'd also like pop growth to be seperated from direct food surplus, and harder to control (no silly "avoid growth"-button), and have overpopulation give problems such as unemployment and growing slums.

Top Bottom