The Renaissance of House

Hamilton321

Prince
I have decided to devote a thread to a significant trend in music which has emerged very clearly over the last five years. The specific trend I am referring to is the rise of house music. It is more likely that you have heard large amounts of house music and know what it sounds like if you live in Europe than if you live in America due to the high number of house artists and house songs which have charted in Europe, although there are a few House bands which have become popular in America such as the Chainsmokers and Marshmello.

House is a somewhat hard to define genre, as it overlaps with other genres and many house bands fuse other elements into their music. I find it somewhat confusing what is and is not house, and this is not made easier by its overlap with other genres particularly EDM; it is like other EDM in that it uses catchy electronic tunes and uplifting messages, yet different in that use of visualization and metaphor are frequent themes in house music. Common and mundane things such as relationships, nature and insecurity are frequent subjects in house songs.

House music is one of the most varied music genres and is probably the most varied modern music genre (my personal favourite style is deep house) the Wikipedia page for styles of house music lists around forty different styles; acid house, afro house, ambient house, Balearic beat, bass house, Baltimore club, Chicago house, deep house, diva house, Dutch house, hardbag, electro house, big room house, complextro, fidget house, funky house, future house, garage house, ghetto house, juke house, techno house, euro house, footwork, funky house, French house, future funk, ghetto tech, Gqom, hard house, hip house, Italo house, nu-disco, progressive house and a few more that I am too tired to write.

One interesting thing about house music is there is not really anything new about this genre, it has its origins in the eighties and there were house songs in the #1 slot on the American top charts as early as 1990 (Vogue). However, the genre receded quite heavily during the middle and late 1990s, with many genres disappearing completely, and in the early 2000s house was largely relegated to garage bands and electronic indie bands, however, the relatively unpopular artists of this period inspired a young generation of artists to bring house music back into the mainstream, with many of the most popular house artists of the last few years being late millennials.

There are very young, very popular house artists from almost every nation, to name a few there is Norway’s Alan Walker (the house artist I am most familiar with), Sweden’s Axwell^Ingrossso, England’s Disclosure, Germany’s Zedd and South Korea’s Shaun. I am going to conclude this with some random things about house. House is kind of an ironic genre in that while it is one of the most international genres, almost all of it is in English no matter what country it is produced in.

A significant minority of house artists perform and make public appearances while wearing masks. This is to show solidarity with their fans and to say that despite being famous they are neither insecure nor arrogant about their fame. The mask also helps them to be known more for their music than for their face. Also something interesting is that on average cover channels on youtube who make many covers of house songs seem to be growing faster than those who are not, but I lack the statistics to confirm or deny this.

If you have a favorite house band, style or song, tell me in this thread. I am interested to learn what you may know about this genre and what your favorite style of house is.

House is good but techno has been the real show the past few years.

Dig Odesza

and Bonobo

I'm never quite sure what genre of electronic music I'm listening to.

Yeah me neither, kinda scared to post any music in this thread in case someone pops in and tells me it isn't house. :lol: For example I listened to the Odesza song posted above, initial instinct was to classify that as 'trap' not house, it kinda sounds like what I remember of Baauer. (In particular it sounds like this one to me...) I'll just keep calling everything 'electronic' and leave it to the electro-heads to sort out the details.

First post says Disclosure are house so I can safely post this:

Link to video.

Yeah me neither, kinda scared to post any music in this thread in case someone pops in and tells me it isn't house. :lol: For example I listened to the Odesza song posted above, initial instinct was to classify that as 'trap' not house, it kinda sounds like what I remember of Baauer. (In particular it sounds like this one to me...) I'll just keep calling everything 'electronic' and leave it to the electro-heads to sort out the details.

First post says Disclosure are house so I can safely post this:

Link to video.

Yea I agree with this, I just posted electronic stuff that I like.

Yea I agree with this, I just posted electronic stuff that I like.

Oh well if that's what we're doing then here's some... techno... I think? Nah this is glitch. Ambient. It's definitely dubstep. Honestly this might actually be house.

Link to video.

To me none of the music posted is ITT house (though I love Bonobo and Jon Hopkins, they're just not house to me. Disclosure probably counts, most people agree they're deep house or smth), but I'm a confirmed music nazi. Most post 2000 House is kinda **** in my opinion, and almost everything that's popular was unlistenable, especially Swedish House Mafia.

Speaking of music nazis, there is one really true house musician for me. And his name is Moodymann, hailing from detroit. And he's kind of a music nazi himself. Essential to house music is imho the political struggle it represents, and moodymann perfectly encapsulated that. He also sometimes goes by "Kenny Dixon Jr." which I think is his real name. And he's pretty crazy, like almost Sun Ra crazy.

Chicago house is also pretty sweet. It set the foundation. Jesse Saunders is pretty important there. I don't **** much with deep house or acid house, though some good music has come out of it. Some other notable house artists: Marcellus Pittman and Omar S.

Last edited:
Oh well if that's what we're doing then here's some... techno... I think? Nah this is glitch. Ambient. It's definitely dubstep. Honestly this might actually be house.

Link to video.

This song kinda defies genre, but I would much rather put this in the techno camp than house. Have you heard Open Eye Signal? His best album imho, much more techno like and a bit darker:

Listened to the Moodymann songs, quite enjoyed them although admittedly I find it difficult to link it to political struggle. Don't know if that's just because I'm having to look back from a present in which the style has been efficiently declawed, or if it's removing the music from the location of its birth that doesn't make sense, or maybe it just isn't a suitable medium to carry that message.

This song kinda defies genre, but I would much rather put this in the techno camp than house. Have you heard Open Eye Signal? His best album imho, much more techno like and a bit darker:

Yup I believe Open Eye Signal is the song of his on my old iPod with the most listens, or at least, the songs of his that don't also feature King Creosote (if you count KC then 'Bats in the Attic' just squeaks it). Would agree that Immunity is better than Singularity overall, the latter if I recall correctly kinda climaxes in the middle and then coasts to the end in a sort of post-coitus which I thought was a bit jarring...

As a confirmed music centrist I enjoy Swedish House Mafia as well though :p

nah, you're right! those songs are some of his least political, they're just the grooviest :lol: most of his other tracks have blackness or sexuality as their main topic, the Black Mahogany album is a good example

Last edited:
[obligatory new vegas reference]

I'd suggest Biancaluna by Alex D'elia or Shift Happens by Sienis to you, Mr. A.

They've been on my playlist for years. :rockon:

I prefer things harder than House. House lacks drops which is just sad.

One of my favorite moments at the club was a deep house set in a room with a subwoofer stack that went to the ceiling, back in early 2013.

The outgoing song was a kick with a bass in between each kick like BUMPbumpBUMPbumpBUMPbumpBUMPbump

Then it switched to the incoming track with the same exact pattern at the same fundamental frequencies BUMPbumpBUMPbump but somehow just better and bigger and the crowd went wild.

That crowd went harder x times y for the 4 hours I was there until 3:30am than any drop-hungry crowd I ever witnessed. Half the crowd was 40+

From earlier this year, my screen recording of my friend's insta repost of the DJ's insta:
you can see me in the turquoise and orange hat, I'm going harder than I look, and the crowd is going harder than I am. This was a 6 hour set from 11-5am, the DJ never took a break. We went from 11 to about 3:30, took a couple pauses for drinks and bathroom but otherwise went full hard in the front center the whole time. Btw there were as many people behind him as in front! Full 360 around the booth it was so cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom