The Renaissance, the fifth age

painkiller

ibiza lover
How about having a 5:th age in Civ 4. This age would be the renaissance and it should be the renaissance because it's a VERY important timeperiod. The world didn't go from Middle ages to Industrial ages. Very important things happened during the renaissance that eventually led to intustrialization.

Intustrialization started in England in the year 1780 and the middle ages didn't last until this year.

All previous Civ games have 4 ages so introducing a 5:th age is probably not a realistic idea but anyway it's just a suggestion.

This is a very Euro-centric idea. Most of the world didn't have the Dark Ages, so they consequently didn't have a Renaissance. (Now if Dark Ages were introduced...).

warpstorm said:
This is a very Euro-centric idea. Most of the world didn't have the Dark Ages, so they consequently didn't have a Renaissance. (Now if Dark Ages were introduced...).

Yes I forgot about the rest of the world...

I agree with warpstorm. The ages of the world are pretty good as it is.

While I think your heart is in the right place, I think the euro-centric comment sums it up.

I think this is a consistent problem in the way people think about Civ. Some people see it as a historical simulator -- something that reflects the way things DID happen. Whereas it more has to be flexible to illustrate how things COULD or sometimes DON'T happen.

Just as a thought:

Some African intellectuals are calling for an African rennaisance, to the days when kings and queens and wealth and knowledge were sought by foreigners around the world. What makes a rennaisance happen? I have no idea.

I agree that a fifth age would be to much for all "civfanatics" to handle and since non European citizens think that this a euro-centric idea there might be some better things to reconsider. Every civ should instead have a set of civ specific techs or even a branch of techs for themselves.

Top Bottom