1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Republican nomination

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Bingo. Just watch.

2. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

If I'm advising one of the Governors, I'm not going after Cruz. He is not a threat that warrants a considered response. Let Rubio, Paul, and Trump be your Cruz attack dogs. Christie has done well to swoop in at the end of a clash with some snarkery about the Senate.

Have some takes ready to fire off when given the opportunity on Trump running from the debate, but you don't shift your focus to Cruz.

If you're a Governor Cruz and Trump eating each other alive is a good thing.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Even if you're not. Cruz is going to fall off the planet when the primaries reach out of the deepest red states anyway. No one really cares about Cruz.

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I agree that he can't out-debate Cruz one-on-one, but I disagree that Trump is in any kind of corner.

The easy response is to say "Its disgusting to hold your donation to the great Vets of America hostage as some kind of bribe or ransom for quid-pro-quo... Typical corrupt politician behavior. If you have 1 Million to give to Vets, then why not just give it, and make your challenge independent of any sleazy quid-pro-quo? Why are you using the Veterans as a political football?"

5. Sommerswerd

It was always like the Jerry Springer show, cause this is America, and that's the kind of entertainment we like... and that's what politics is to a large degree, entertainment, especially since the emergence of FOX News and MSNBC.

The only difference is that Trump is so much better at it than anyone we've seen before, that he shines a spotlight and exposes our politics for what it is, what it has been for a long time (maybe always), largely a popularity/entertainment contest.
    +1 I'm looking for Christie to basically be a proxy Trump at this debate and go for Cruz's throat, attacking him for his "New York values" comments... bringing up 9-11, Giuliani, Pataki, himself etc, ie "There's good solid Republicans in these part and you insulted us!" I wouldn't be surprised if Christie goes after him for being Canadian, and not really "understanding" what being Americans is about

They would be utter fools to spend the whole debate attacking the empty chair. It will make the whole debate about Trump and play right into his hands. It will make them seem like the cowardly ones. They will seem small, like Lilliputians attacking the sleeping Giant. The best strategy for the debate is to ignore Trump entirely and pretend he doesn't exist. Don't ask any questions about him and don't say anything about him at all.

6. Colon

Colon Chieftain

Meanwhile, in Brussels:

7. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

As I mentioned earlier, Trump already did a very similar thing with his CNN debate demand, so that high ground is long gone.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Trumps method of winning is the "buy up the houses in Monopoly but don't get hotels so no other player can buy houses". Vacuuming all attention.

9. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Then the winner is the person who is the most like Jerry Springer. Guess who that is.

10. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

Ohoho, the Trumpening continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...dates-may-join-donald-trump-away-from-debate/

It seems Trump is hosting his own debate, with blackjack, and hookers. And other candidates.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/fox-statement-taunting-trump-was-all-roger-ailes.html
    And at the same time, it seems like he's set on claiming Roger Ailes's scalp, going over his head and insisting on speaking directly to Rupert Murdoch, and apparently bypassing the Senior Executive's ban on interviews on Fox News, by using in-station politics to his advantage.

11. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Yeah, this really doesn't hurt Trump at all. Trump should just say "No, eff off," make the $1.5 million donation himself, and then point out how sleazy it is to use veterans this way. Trying to hold a donation to vets hostage to get Trump to debate Ted Cruz, in an event where Cruz makes the rules and brings in the crowd? Yeah, Trump is going to come out of this looking like gold. Ted is going to look like a pile of offal.

This is seriously the dumbest tactical move Ted Cruz could possibly have made. I think it highlights how different the levels are that the candidates are operating on. Ted Cruz is completely tone deaf to how this will look to people. Trump will see it for what it is, point it out to people for what it is, and Ted Cruz is going to look slimy, petty, desperate, and politics-as-usual for using vets to try to score political points.

I suspect the Cruz campaign has gotten some alarming news from their internal pollsters for him to try something this desperate.

12. Sommerswerd

What you're implying is that Trump could/would be held accountable for contradiction or prior inconsistency... which... c'mon. Trump can claim the high ground anytime he durn well pleases... with impunity.

13. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

The voice of sanity in a wilderness of madness. So much of this thread reminds me of twitter.

14. Archbob

whyidie, even the Vegas odds favor Trump getting the nomination and the establishment seems bent on taking down Cruz. None of their candidates can gain any traction. Trump has a solid lead in IA now. He's almost got them in Check-Mate. Look at the facts, not theories. No republican candidate has ever gotten the nomination without winning in either IA or NH and no Establishment Candidate is going to win either one this time unless a divine miracle happens with the republican party. They're not going to win SC or Nevada either. The establishment is pretty much Toast at this point.

15. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

The problem with the theory that Cruz and Trump will disappear once voting starts is that there just isn't a decent candidate in the bunch that is poised to grab the reins and take over the nomination contest. Rubio comes closest, but the problem with Rubio is that whatever camp you come from, you have 1 or 2 other candidates that better suit your tastes.

In other words, he's every primary voter's backup to their backup prom date. They'll settle for him if they absolutely have to, but there's a good chance he'll be out of the running before anyone actually resigns themselves to asking him.

16. Archbob

Rubio's the best looking of the candidates by far, why hasn't he played that angle?

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

:lol:

I can't help but laugh when people trot this out like it is some sort of monolith of history.

It has NEVER happened!!!!

That just sounds so much better than "It hasn't happened so far in ten whole tries, three of which involved an unopposed candidate."

18. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

That is exactly what will happen.

19. Archbob

Of course, your discourse of "its never happened so its really likely to happen this time" makes so much more sense right?

There's a reason why none of them have won without those two states because you have no momentum if you don't win or even come in second in those two states. People view you as irrelevent and a loser if you don't do well.

20. Aea

Aea Chieftain