1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Republican nomination

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

And quite a lot of it must go to financing their career… how many tens or hundreds of millions of dollars does a presidential campaign cost? On the other hand, Drumpf is using his presidential campaign and donations to shore up his leaky, often-bankrupted businesses. And as an after-effect he just sows fear, hatred and dissension along the way.

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Why the heck is this thread still going strong?

3. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Cleveland hasn't happened yet.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Because we have to discuss the Republican presidencial nomination somewhere.

5. dutchfire

So, I thought this might be the best place to discuss the Cruz endorsement. Because if this is not the conclusion of the 2016 primary, it surely is the first step of the 2020/2024 GOP primary. What are your opinions on it? I think it makes relatively little sense. Endorsements matter, but mostly when they're early. This one is too late, and with too much background, to really help Cruz' reputation with Trumpsters, and it is a major stain on his ideological purity, which was his main asset.

The lame stream media are explaining this by saying that Cruz is fearing a Senate primary challenge in 2018. This thing will only help him marginally in the primary, and if you're aspiring to be president, a winner takes it all, many candidate race, you should probably accept these small risks instead of tainting your long term image.

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I don't really get it. Cruz went up on national TV and refused to endorse Trump and tried to set himself up as the anti-Trump to rally around; but now he endorses Trump? The campaign ads write themselves. Get a montage of him saying how terrible he is then end on him saying "I endorse Trump" coupled with an ominous voice over going "Can we really trust his judgment?".

I though he was a devious scumbag before, but now I know he is an unprincipled devious scumbag.

7. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

yea, Cruz's one thing going for him was that he gave the appearance of sticking to his guns. He shut down the government. He has 99 senators basically hating him. He had boehner call him "lucifer in the flesh". He didn't do it at the RNC. He actually had some decent words about the "pledge" at the republican debates, eg one source:

"I'm not going to get into criticizing or attacking Donald Trump, but I'll give you this response: I am not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father," Cruz said, adding that those attacks had undone his pledge to back the eventual GOP nominee.

"That pledge was not a blanket commitment that, if you go and slander and attack Heidi, that I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say, 'thank you very much for maligning my wife and my father,'" Cruz said."

but, of course, no one will remember this in 2020. But this path I think sets himself up to go the route of the huckabee -- offshoot into political nothingness and go around doing random stuff here and there-- instead of back up to being a (crazy) contender in 2020.

8. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I've said this before, and I will repeat... Whether you were on the side supporting or not supporting Donald Trump is going to be one of the big ticket issues in the 2020 Republican nomination fight, and possibly the whole election.

9. dutchfire

How do you predict "I was against him before I endorsed him" is going to do? Asking for a friend.

10. Sommerswerd

My first experience with the term "flip-flop" was during the 2004 election when it became an absolute albatross around John Kerry's neck... From Wikipedia:
    The "flip-flopper" label is political leprosy.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

A politically unsavvy unprincipled devious scumbag. In four years he could've been the head of the #no2ndterm4HRC crowd or the ‘Drumpf ruined the country, he funded HRC’ crowd.

12. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I'm not a fan of Ted Cruz, but to be fair IIRC he signed a pledge saying he would support the nominee. When the pledge was signed everyone thought that it would be holding Trump back from going third party against someone else.

13. Civrules

Civrules We the People

He wants a political future and it would have looked bad if he didn't keep his pledge, especially if trump wins and does well as president.

14. Sommerswerd

If "honoring his pledge" was his motivation, he would have endorsed at the convention. He didn't forget about his pledge in Cleveland and then someone reminded him about it this week, and he snapped his fingers and said "Tsk, you know, you're right! I forgot all about that!... Oops... Alert the press! Ted Cruz is a man of his word!"

15. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Are you saying though that it will be mandatory for Republican candidates to have supported Trump, or an endorsement will be an indelible stain on their record? If you're saying the latter, I think that's way too optimistic. After four years of Clinton, they'll be out for the blood of anyone who they see as having helped her win, with no self-awareness about it being their own damn fault.

16. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Yeah, it still looks bad for Ted.

17. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

He could have at least taken the opportunity to announce his own candidacy for the 2020 race at the same time as endorsing the party nominee as the best chance of beating Hillary in 2016.

18. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I wonder if carly fiorina will announce she vice-endorses trump**

*she actually already did earlier in september

i wonder if cruz will get dug into a hole for that in 2020.

19. Sommerswerd

Neither... I can't say it will be a "mandatory" or "indelible" issue, whether its for or against Trump.

I do appreciate you pushing on it though because it does make a huge difference whether supporting Trump would be a prerequisite or a disqualifier or simply an extremely controversial issue that keeps coming up. I especially see the Democrats using the issue to hammer the Republican candidate who did support Trump.

As far as how it plays out in the Republican primary, I'm not sure. I'm thinking that the pro-Trumper's will characterize the NeverTrumper's as traitors, disqualified from the nomination while the NeverTrumpers will paint the pro-Trumper's as faustian destroyers of the party. Another nuance will be how the GOP (including Trump) actually fares in this election. I say nuance though, because whether its a close election or a catastrophe for the Republicans, the NeverTrumpers will have the "I told you so" argument, but the pro-Trumpers will be trying to blame their defection for the results.

20. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

I think the first rule of Fight Club will be in effect with regards to Trump in 2020, assuming he loses handily.

Ted is merely hedging his bet now that we are 6+ weeks out and Trump has a nonzero chance of winning. His little principled stand was fine and dandy as long as it came at no cost to his political future. I think he probably realized immediately that he had made a mistake, and once the polls tightened after Labor Day, his chance of being vindicated by a total Trump wipeout of the GOP had all but disappeared. He just hopes that now he won't be first against the wall in case Trump wins, but he can't take it back no matter how badly he wants to.