The Republican Tax Bill Demonstrates US No Longer A Democracy

:dubious: Looks like for the first time since I was a teenager, I'll be tax free.

But it's still a terrible plan. It will accelerate the flow of wealth away from our middle class to our super rich. It will resurrect the bubble economies of Hoover and Bush. It will most likely trigger inflation. ll explode the national debt

Well, yeah, but if you give the average Republican voter ten bucks a week they will tell anyone who will listen that all those things are insignificant.

I don't know, I don't do my own taxes but I just don't think you're right about this. Even the bill's proponents seem to acknowledge that most people who live in the higher-tax states (which, not coincidentally, are blue states) are going to get hit on the state income tax deduction thing. My friends who are grad students, meanwhile, are getting three or fourfold increases in their tax bills, most of them are jumping a bracket or two.
How much are your grad student friends making? When I was a grad student, my reportable income was under $20,000, which would have brought lower taxes.

No one that uses the standard deduction will be affected by the loss of state and local deduction. According to the IRS in the last published analysis, that is over 70% of filers, so not "most people". https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/14inintaxreturns.pdf

:dubious: Looks like for the first time since I was a teenager, I'll be tax free.

But it's still a terrible plan. It will accelerate the flow of wealth away from our middle class to our super rich. It will resurrect the bubble economies of Hoover and Bush. It will most likely trigger inflation. ll explode the national debt
We're not, but our taxes will go down.

The flow of wealth from the middle class to the super-rich seems like a talking point. Where is the evidence? The top marginal rate is the same and deductions are fewer. It looks like top earners will pay more.

Businesses are another issue. They are getting a tax break.

J

Exemption for private jet maintenance I think, which is really stupid and a break for the wealthy only.

The flow of wealth from the middle class to the super-rich seems like a talking point. Where is the evidence? The top marginal rate is the same and deductions are fewer. It looks like top earners will pay more.

J

Speaking of talking points, count on you to parrot the GOP line.

Just talk about income tax rates, and pretend that the two things D'ump got elected to accomplish aren't part of the tax bill.

What a shill.

l

Businesses are another issue. They are getting a tax break.

J

Income to the rich comes mainly from inheritances and capital gains.
Estate taxes are obliterated, and capital gains from business investments will benefit from tax cuts to businesses.

How much are your grad student friends making? When I was a grad student, my reportable income was under $20,000, which would have brought lower taxes.

It's almost like you didn't even read the part where the value of tuition remission is going to be considered taxable income.

l

Estate taxes are obliterated, and capital gains from business investments will benefit from tax cuts to businesses.

You left out the repeal of the alternative minimum tax.

When D'ump was a candidate his website listed all of his "positions in detail." None of them were more than a half page with a handful of bullet point, all of which were vague nonsense, except for the tax reform page. It was VERY specific about repealing the estate tax and the alternative minimum tax, because those were the two things he was personally interested in and the only real promises that he had made to anyone that he intended to keep.

Aren't we also going to attempt to try the failed Kansas experiment? Aren't pass-through taxes going way down so that everyone who owns a business can get absurdly low rates and starve the Treasury?

How anyone can classify this tax hike as anything but a wealth transfer up the economic ladder is beyond me. Even if you accept the premise of trickle-down working as advertised you are explicitly buying into the necessary condition that wealth transfers upward before it trickles back down.

That is a disproven stereotype. The majority of Millionaires in USA started middle class. There are certainly examples of idol rich, but this is not the norm.

This makes no sense, "capital gains from business investments will benefit from tax cuts to businesses." Capital gains come from selling things. Investment values will benefit from lower business taxes, true. That is good for anyone with a pension, 401(k) or IRA invested in the market.

It's almost like you didn't even read the part where the value of tuition remission is going to be considered taxable income.
That. Perhaps you did not hear.

Under current law, both scholarships and tuition waivers are not taxable. But the House bill draws a distinction between the two. Under the proposal, universities can still reduce their students’ tuition bills without incurring tax consequences. However, if graduate students work as teaching or research assistants as a condition of getting that tuition help, then the amount of tuition reduction would be considered taxable income.

Universities that wish to avoid saddling their graduate students with large tax bills therefore have an easy way out. They can reclassify their qualified tuition waivers as scholarships, and avoid incurring any tax consequences. Because schools have this alternative method of providing tuition help, it is unlikely that many graduate students will see tax hikes if the House bill becomes law.​
https://www.forbes.com/sites/presto...wont-destroy-graduate-education/#575198864876

Aren't we also going to attempt to try the failed Kansas experiment? Aren't pass-through taxes going way down so that everyone who owns a business can get absurdly low rates and starve the Treasury?

How anyone can classify this tax hike as anything but a wealth transfer up the economic ladder is beyond me. Even if you accept the premise of trickle-down working as advertised you are explicitly buying into the necessary condition that wealth transfers upward before it trickles back down.
Tax hike? What tax hike? The whole thing is supposed to be a tax cut.

Pass through is going down to levels common in the developed world. The average is about 23%. UK is going to 18%. 20% is not out of line.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...sed-for-pass-through-battle-tax-debate-update

One of the big arguments has been that pass through savings are subject to a window, so that not every business owner benefits. How do you get to this benefiting the wealthy? It reduces a business cost. It also introduces an incentive to bring profits home. For example, Apple has over 200 $Billion invested overseas, a lot of it in China.

J

Last edited:
America wasn't a Democracy ever since the country voted for a candidate to be President who won the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes but still didn't become president. Doesn't sound like a democracy in my opinion.

You just don't know what you're talking about. They are going to start counting tuition waivers for grad students (and university employees for that matter) as taxable income. That means that for most grad students their taxable income is going to more than double.

Any position other than "this bill is a total dumpster fire with no redeeming qualities" means you're a supporter of it in my eyes.

I'm just posting facts, it does not raise taxes on every poor person, that's just a lie.

You even said you don't do your own taxes, you have no clue how it's going to affect you- RUN THE NUMBERS! It's just maddening that every lib is jumping on the bandwagon crying about how this will up their taxes without even knowing how much taxes they pay! How can you possibly say it'll lower or raise unless you calculate your return with both numbers?

Civvver, you do understand that the vast majority of the "middle class" are married with children, right? I mean, I don't fault you for pointing out the personal to you benefits here, but you aren't exactly the "general case."

Those numbers were hypothetical, not my personal numbers.

Yes, I am married with two kids. My returns get way better cus of this bill, mostly because of expanding the child tax credit.

The are above the line deduction that are being taken away they are not part of the standard deduction.

Transforming the personal exemptions to the standard deduction breaks even at a couple with one child. Plus, you lose the benefit of itemizing (your standard deduction you have to top has doubled, plus you have lost your exemptions). Plus, many common deductions have been eliminated or reduced. I would like to see the math where you are getting a 33% tax cut. I ran the numbers and my cuts were fairly nominal.

Well I don't know your situation. Share the numbers if you want. But most people don't have tons of deductions. Like 75% of people currently take the standard. Me personally I'll pay around $2000 less in taxes. Maybe that doesn't seem like a lot, but you know what? After taxes and increase insurance premiums and retirement plan deductions and all that other crap every year I'm lucky if my take home pay increases by that much. So it is a pretty good amount considering.

Under current law, both scholarships and tuition waivers are not taxable. But the House bill draws a distinction between the two. Under the proposal, universities can still reduce their students’ tuition bills without incurring tax consequences. However, if graduate students work as teaching or research assistants as a condition of getting that tuition help, then the amount of tuition reduction would be considered taxable income.

Universities that wish to avoid saddling their graduate students with large tax bills therefore have an easy way out. They can reclassify their qualified tuition waivers as scholarships, and avoid incurring any tax consequences. Because schools have this alternative method of providing tuition help, it is unlikely that many graduate students will see tax hikes if the House bill becomes law.​
https://www.forbes.com/sites/presto...wont-destroy-graduate-education/#575198864876

Thanks for finding that, there are plenty of ways to get around this. If free tuition is your pay, then yeah it'll get taxed. But it doesn't have to stay that way.

It's the same thing when people post their little charts about how all the poor people's taxes are going up in 10 years when the cuts expire.

The cuts have to have a 10 year limit because of rules that get around the filibuster- it can't add to the deficit after 10 years to be permanent. Bush tax cuts were the same way. But what happened when they were set to expire under Obama? Nothing, congress made the low and middle class rates permanent and actually some of the top rates reverted. The same thing will happen with these. So the whole fear that this is good only for now but will increase your taxes down the road is also false.

The legit issues with this bill are:
1. It reduces taxes on the rich, some by a lot. Do they really need these breaks?
2. It adds to the deficit. Opinions on that vary.
3. It probably won't lead to massive job boom from supply side economics.

So I have issues with the bill. But it does not raise taxes on poor people, that's just false across the board. Only a few specific people with specific deductions will see increases.

Only a few specific people with specific deductions will see increases.

Do you agree that the pattern of the specific deductions targeted is designed to be punitive to residents of "blue states"? My congressman can expect to be clubbed like a baby seal next year for putting party loyalty ahead of his constituents and signing on to a 'hey let's punish California' move. I'm not unhappy, because I am not that concerned about taxes and getting a democrat into that seat for the first time in decades seems a good move for the long run, but that's just me.

That article is either dishonest spin, or the author is not familiar with what he's talking about. The most elite private universities may be able to change their tuition waivers to scholarships. Other universities, particularly public universities where these things can sometimes be determined by legislation, will not find it so easy. And whether or not students end up bearing the cost, this measure disincentivizes people from pursuing PhDs. Doing that is incredibly stupid. I know plenty of people in academia who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to how PhD programs are funded and not one of them is happy about this provision. Not one has blithely responded by saying, "oh, I guess we'll just change the waivers to scholarships then."

I'm just posting facts, it does not raise taxes on every poor person, that's just a lie.

I don't recall anyone claiming it would raise taxes on every poor person. But the Republican Party itself has admitted this bill is about transferring wealth to its wealthy donors. They, quite literally, would not have passed this bill if it didn't accomplish that. I'm reading the CBO analysis of this thing right now, specifically the section about the "revenue-raising" parts of the bill. And frankly, I think it is somewhat silly that you are trying to pretend most of the revenue isn't going to be raised from people who...aren't rich.

Universities that wish to avoid saddling their graduate students with large tax bills therefore have an easy way out. They can reclassify their qualified tuition waivers as scholarships, and avoid incurring any tax consequences.
This makes no sense... You're trying to defend a bill by literally pointing out how many loopholes it has. The whole point of this "tax reform" bill was that it was to lower rates and pay for it by closing loopholes. Now you're saying that the pay-fors that were coming from the closed loopholes are meaningless, because there's already loopholes to get out of them? :crazyeye: What is your point? That the bill is ineffectual and worthless at delivering what it promised? OK... So was that intentional on the part of the Republicans? Or just incompetent?
Thanks for finding that, there are plenty of ways to get around this. If free tuition is your pay, then yeah it'll get taxed. But it doesn't have to stay that way.
"Plenty of ways to get around this"? Are you joking? Let me give you an easier way to "get around this"... DON'T PASS THE BILL!:lol: What you're saying is that the bill isn't going to work because there's already loopholes to "get around this"... so why pass it?:confused: Makes no freaking sense...

This makes no sense... You're trying to defend a bill by literally pointing out how many loopholes it has. The whole point of this "tax reform" bill was that it was to lower rates and pay for it by closing loopholes. Now you're saying that the pay-fors that were coming from the closed loopholes are meaningless, because there's already loopholes to get out of them?
Since the piece is in the opinion section, I will acknowledge the authority is lower. That said, Forbes will usually be right about money issues. I would rephrase your purpose. The intent of the bill is to restructure taxation on businesses. The funding is through closing loopholes, which received less attention up front and more last minute tweaking. It is sufficient for the moment to say that shutting down PhD programs is not an intent. Compare the Clean Energy Act which was trying to shut down coal mining and use.

What is your point? That the bill is ineffectual and worthless at delivering what it promised? OK... So was that intentional on the part of the Republicans? Or just incompetent?
So says an ACA supporter.:grouphug:

J

Since the piece is in the opinion section, I will acknowledge the authority is lower. That said, Forbes will usually be right about money issues. I would rephrase your purpose. The intent of the bill is to restructure taxation on businesses. The funding is through closing loopholes, which received less attention up front and more last minute tweaking. It is sufficient for the moment to say that shutting down PhD programs is not an intent. Compare the Clean Energy Act which was trying to shut down coal mining and use.
You acknowledge the piece was not written by Forbes, but still think it's true because it's published by them? You know opinion pieces are just an archaic form of comments section, right? The guy who wrote the article works for a right wing think tank, The American Enterprise Institute.

Some of the things they have opposed:
Net Neutrality
Raising the minimum wage.
Dodd Frank

Some things they've defended
Big tobbacco
second Iraq war
Global warming denial
Voter ID laws

Last edited:
Top Bottom