The Rise and Fall of the Mughal Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luddi VII

Sheep farmer
“The Rise & Fall of The Mughals”
By Rambuchan and Luddi VII

Background
“Delhi was then in the control of the Lodi Sultans, a dynasty of Afghan Muslim rulers who did a great deal to enrich the architectural heritage of the city that was to become India’s capital. Despite internal dissensions the Lodis managed to field an army of 100,000 men and 1,000 elephants against (The Mughal) Babur’s paltry force of 12,000. The armies met on April 20, 1526, at the historic battlefield of Panipat a few miles north of Delhi. Despite the odds, Babur routed the Lodi Sultan (with his superior cavalry manoeuvres and cannon shots), and took possession of Delhi.”

The Look
The whole scenario has been given a feel which envokes all the cultural influences to India in the time period of our scenario. This has been done by including paintings (rather than graphic icons) for the tech tree, wonders and pedia entries. So you will typically work your way through first a Hindu artistic painting style into a Mughal / Persian style and eventually into 18th century European oil paintings, with some Chinese and Nepali influences along the way. The Wonder Splashes of course contain the best paintings, but you have to build em to see em!

The Civs:

All playable, with King units, all with at least one UU each, and arranged into 4 culture groups:

6 Indian Civs ~ Golkonda, Vijayanagara, Rajput, Bijapur, Ahmadnagar, Bengal.

2 Persian Civs ~ Mughals & Persians. The most powerful at the start.

4 European trading companies ~ East India Co. (English), V.O.C.(Dutch version of EIC), Vasco's Traders (Portuguese) and Compagnie des Indes (French). Starting with early bases and some powerful late game action. Their kings are also amphibious.

3 backward local civs ~ Nepal, Burma and Ceylon. Representing the influence of the Far East.

And 1 wildcard civ (as local) ~ The Malacca Pirates! Arr! With Ghost Ships and amphibious UUs :D

Units: Ranging from War Camels to Mahout Elepants, and from Invisible Holymen to Viceroy Cavalry, there is plenty of military action. There is particular attention paid to late middle age Firearms technologies and the tech tree’s military branch works heavily on the development of Gunpowder, leading to some serious artillery options.

There is also great emphasis on the units’ abilities through the varied terrain of Lou Long’s map. UUs are ideally suited to their kingdoms’ terrain. For example, the Vijayanagara (southern Hindu) UU the Bramin and all Elephants move more swiftly through jungle terrain and Nepal’s Gurkha UU moves well over mountains. This aspect is not to be underestimated.

Wonders: Many are simply renamed eg. the Pyramids is now called 'Lingum Worship' (Lingum = Phallus or Penis). Shakespeare's is now called 'Burton's Kama Sutra' - of course it makes people very happy and rises the population above 12 . And there are many new ones including 'Kerala Martial Arts' which auto-produces Kalaripayattu Fighters, a significant aid to the Indians. There are also wonders to represent the eventual European domination of India.

One can win the game via a Spacerace / Trade Mastery Victory, which sees two Wonders being built – “Trade Mastery” (req. 2 luxs) allowing you to build the only SS part > “The Jewel In The Crown” (another 2 luxs req).

Improvements: You will find many auto-producing improvements, plus the recognisable ones renamed. Amongst the auto-producing improvements are

Fakir’s Lodge: Requires Opium in the city radius in order to build. Once you’ve hooked up the narcotic supply, the mystics will come flocking and a Fakir (invisible holyman) will be auto-produced every 8 turns along with a boost of culture.

Mahout Stables: The ONLY WAY to get the best of the three Elephant units in the game. Requires Elephants resource. The intense Elephant and Mahout (Handler) training will auto-produce a Mahout every 8 turns and boosts production.

The Europeans have a heavy line of powerful auto-producing improvements but they must be used wisely.

Resources: Elephants, Camels, Saltpeter, Iron, Horses etc.

Luxuries: Opium, Cotton (allows the building of a Cotton Factory in the late game), Incense, Silks, Gems, Dyes, Spices.

Victory Conditions:

VPs
8 City Elimination
Dom / Conq
Space Race / Trade Mastery (as described in Wonders paragraph)
Cultural

Credits:

Scenario Creators: Rambuchan and Luddi VII
Map Creator: LouLong

Unit Graphics: Dom Pedro II, CivArmy, CamJH, BeBro, Aaglo, Kinboat, embryodead, TMT, LBPB, JimmyH, BAP, TVA22

Resource Graphics: Ukas

Special thanks to El Justo, for general support.

Thanks a lot to all of you! :thanx:

Enjoy! :goodjob:

See below for DL's and installation instructions.

NOTE!! A new version of the scenario is now posted. PLEASE GO TO THE LINK BELOW TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=166297

Installation Instructions
1. Unzip the main scenario file and place it in the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios folder.

2. Unzip the biq file and place it in the same folder as the main files.

3. Now you should be able to play.

Please report any errors or bugs.

THE INDIAN CULTURE GROUP

A mix of Hindu and Muslim Kingdoms. Some wealthy and powerful, other on their way out.
-----------------------------------

Golconda:

Leader: Jamshid Qutb.

Traits: Religious, Agricultural and Commercial.

They build the Golconda Guard instead of the Pikeman / Defender / Defender of the Faith.

The Qutb Shahi Dynasty founded the Kingdom of Golconda, one of the five kingdoms that emerged after the break up of the Bahamani Kingdom. The Qutb Shahis ruled the Deccan for almost 171 years…

Vijayanagara:

Leader: Shivaji Rama Raya

Traits: Religious, Agricultural and Commercial.

They build the Brahmin, a fast moving, attack foot unit, which ignores movement cost through jungle, has stealth attack ability. It also detects invisible Fakirs.

The Vijayanagara Empire is included in this scenario as they provide the most colourful, powerful and relevant representation of Hindu Kingship to this period, despite the fact they were roundly defeated by a temporary alliance between Golkonda, Bijapur and Ahmadnagar in 1565AD. They have been referred to as "the last bastion of native Hindu culture" by V.S.Naipaul.

Founded in 1336, the empire of Vijayanagar (named for its capital Vijayanagar, "City of Victory,") in present-day Karnataka…

Rajput:

Leader: Rana Pratap

Traits: Militaristic, Expansionist and Religious.

They build the War Camel, a fast moving cavalry unit, which requires the Camel resource to build. It is weaker in defence to its rivals but it can detect invisible Fakir units, which you have to admit is a pretty cool compromise.

The term 'Rajput' does not occur in early Sanskrit literature nor do we hear of Rajput clans before the eighth century A.D. This proves that they were a later addition to the population of India.

The Rajputs according to Tod, are of Scythian origin. He includes under the designation of the Scythian, the nomad hordes of foreign tribes who swooped down upon India during fifth and sixth centuries A.D. Thus the term Scythian refers to the Huns and other associated tribes. Smith puts forward the following arguments to prove the foreign origin of Rajputs…

Bijapur:

Leader: Ibrahim Adil Shah II

Traits: Industrious, Religious and Militaristic

They build the Bijapuri Bowman, a fast moving archer, of equally mediocre attack and defence.

It was Bijapur, in a temporary alliance with Golconda and Ahmadnagar, who crushed the once mighty Hindu kingdom of Vijayanagara in 1565AD.

This kingdom is one example of many which were slowly taken over or switched to the Islamic faith. The Adil Shahs maintained cordial relations with the Safavid Persians, both trading with them and assisting with the introduction of Islamic culture into India. These Muslim kingdoms of the Deccan plateau flourished from the fourteenth to eighteenth centuries. Bijapur arose to power from the ashes of the Bahmani Sultanate. The Bahmani Kingdom encompassed what later became known as The Deccan Five, three of which have been included in this scenario…

Ahmadnagar:

Leader: Burhan Nizam
(not actual portrait)

Traits: Militaristic, Industrious and Religious

They build the Sardar Rider, which is a fast moving cavalry unit, requiring horses and iron.

The Nizam Shahis were based in Ahmadnagar from 1490 to 1636, but after 1600 ruled under the Mughals. Their brief moment of patronage produced an illustrated history, the Tarif-i Husain Shahi, celebrating the king who led the victory over the Hindu Vijayanagar state, and various royal portraits.

After the fall of the Bahmanids, their viziers the Baridis (1504–1619) continued to rule in the city of Bidar, famed for a metalworking technique invented there…. The Mughals were in control of these lands by 1600AD…

Bengal:

Leader: Sher Shah Suri aka. Sher Khan

Traits: Religious, Commercial and Agricultural.

They build the Elephant Archer as their cavalry class UU.

Bengal is a significant area in Indian history. Birthplace of some of India's greatest literature, the venue of the Buddhas lectures and stiff resistance to the Mughals, the principality in which the British East India Company were first granted taxation rights are just some of the highlights….

THE PERSIAN CULTURE GROUP

Powerful, wealthy and advanced empires looking to expand!

The Mughals

Leader: Akbar The Great

Traits: Militaristic, Scientific and Industrious.

They build the Mughal Cavalry as their cavalry class UU, which rules the early battlefield.

Descended from Gengis Khan & Tamberlane, the Mughals were the superior force on the Sub-continent throughout the 16th and 17th centuries. Their line runs: [Babur (1526-1530), Humayun (1530-1556), Akbar (1556-1605), Jahangir (1605-1627), Shah Jahan (1627-1658), Aurangzeb (1658-1707)].

Along with The Ottomans and The Safavid Persians, The Mughals make up “The Three Gunpowder Empires” of the Middles Ages…

Safavids

Leader: Shah Tahmasp

Traits: Commercial, Religious and Militaristic

They build the Mameluke, a fast moving Camel cavalry unit, which unsurprisingly requires camels to build. It can detect invisible Fakir units.

The Safavids were powerful kings or shahs during this period. They were however largely disinterested with military expansion toward India during the time of the Mughals, whom they saw eye to eye with mostly. They exerted plenty of influence through their friendly Muslim Sultantates in the Deccan instead to procure their share of the wealth of India. The fact that very little military attention was paid to India by the Safavids is due to the fact they were in regular combat with the prime force in the world at the time - The Ottoman Empire - which was expanding to their west. It is fortunate for you that our map does not include lands to the west or you would be getting beaten up a lot!...

THE EUROPEAN CULTURE GROUP

All Trading Companies. All function under 'Colonialism' government (as opposed to Monarchy, Mansab System or Feudalism).

East India Co. (English)

Leader: Sir Thomas Roe

Traits: Commercial, Seafaring, Militaristic and Expansionist.

They build the Maxim Gun (not historically accurate but gives them the ‘oomph’ they really had) - a lethal late game artillery / foot unit, which can rip through many of the best defensive troops competitors can offer.

The British East India Company, popularly known as "John Company", was founded by a Royal Charter from Queen Elizabeth I on December 31, 1600. Over the next 250 years, it became one of the most powerful commercial enterprises of its time. The British East India Company's business was centered on India where it also acquired auxiliary governmental and military functions….

V.O.C. (Dutch)

Leader: Jan Pieterszoon Coen

They build the Swiss Mercenaries instead of the Pikeman and the Carrack instead of the Caravel, as their UUs.

On March 20, 1602, the representatives of the provinces of the Dutch republic, granted the Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC) a monopoly on the trade in the East Indies. Its purpose was not only trade; the Compagnie also had to fight the enemies of the Republic and prevent other European nations to enter the East India trade. During its history of 200 years, the VOC became the largest company of its kind, trading spices like nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and pepper, and other consumer products like tea, silk and chinese porcelain…

Vasco's Traders (Portuguese)

Leader: Vasco de Gama

They build the Serpe alongside cannons and the Carrack instead of the Caravel, as their UUs.

The first Portuguese encounter with India was on May 20 1498 when Vasco da Gama landed in Calicut (present-day Kozhikode). Over the objections of Arab merchants, da Gama secured an ambiguous letter of concession for trading rights from Zamorin, Calicut's local ruler, but had to sail off without warning after the Zamorin insisted on his leaving behind all his goods as collateral. Da Gama kept his goods, but left behind a few Portuguese with orders to start a trading post....

Compagnie des Indes (French)

Leader: Jean Baptiste Colbert

Traits: Expansionist, Seafaring and Commercial

They build Musketeer alongside the Company Musketman

The first French voyage to the Indies was in 1603, by Paulmier de Gonneville, of Honfleur. Almost immediately afterwards, in 1604, King Henri IV authorised the first Compagnie des Indes Orientales, with a 15-year monopoly of the Indies trade. It was formed by a Dieppe shipowner, Jean Ango, although the real spirit behind the company was a Fleming, Gérard de Roy. Things moved slowly, but by 1610 a small fleet had been bought....

A Space Race/Trade Mastery Victory

Most of the foot units, presented in their 'culture lines'.

A mix of some of the units, mostly UUs.

A Peacetime invisible 'Fakir Raid' on The Safavid Persians, by the French!

And finally a pic of the Kerala Martial arts wondersplash, many more paintings hidden in the splashes, pedia and tech tree.

Looking at it in the editor, I'm forced to ask what on earth Nepal is doing in Tibet?

I realize it would be alot of work, but it would be nice if appropriate unit icons were implemented. Seeing Defenders of the Faith as cruise missiles is slightly disconcerting!

Seeing as the AI is too scatterbrained to load units into ships except in cities, the British and French units starting on islands are kinda wasted.

More comments when I've played the thing.

(Some cities are placed way off, but seeing you're a pretty erudite couple, I assume this is intentional.)

Yes please keep them coming TLC. :)

Defenders of the Faith
as cruise missiles is slightly disconcerting for me too! It should not be like that and was never like that in testing. Checking it out now, but Luddi is the tech chap for all that.

TLC!!!! :gripe: You giving me a heart attack like that!!! Of course many of the units have used all kinds of things in the Biq, but in the game they are fine. Jees! I went a bit faint there. :lol:

Nepal in Tibet: Deliberate for gameplay. No way we were gonna get any kind of proper regional representation in the Himalayas, and it isn't really important. Generally the 'Local' Culture group is far less accurate because they are less consequential on the scenario as they were in history.

City Placements: Ditto. Gameplay. We opted for some cities being slightly off and it being fun to play, as opposed to being bang on the mark and having a crap game!

Ah! Our Mentor arriveth. :hatsoff:

Hope you like it El J!!

@ TLC: I suggest you save your comments until you've played it in game. If you comment on the basis of the biq as you have done, you'll be there all day mate! :lol: As mentioned in my edited post above, in game all that stuf is fine.

Rambuchan said:
Yes please keep them coming TLC. :)

Defenders of the Faith
as cruise missiles is slightly disconcerting for me too! It should not be like that and was never like that in testing. Checking it out now, but Luddi is the tech chap for all that.
Turns out the problem is that the scenario search path is set to "sunday test\Rise of Mughal" instead of "Rise of Mughal". This is bound to make the scen crash immediately upon loading. Correcting the path give sensible icons.

Shakespeare's is now called 'Burton's Kama Sutra' - of course it makes people very happy and rises the population above 12

haha. nice. :)

Look forward to trying this.

Plenty more like that my friend ;). As mentioned in the OP, building the wonders (or debug) is the only way to really see those paintings properly. Burton's Kama Sutra being a prime example.

:lol: I don't even know what those are! As you know JO, I am a real techno dunce. The process which resulted in the look is as follows:

I have a massive collection of art from this period anyway. I buy it IRL for my home and surf the web for it a lot also. So I simply went through all the pics I had and found that many were relevant to the techs/wonders/improvements etc. I simply named the pics after whatever and sent them all to Luddi, with a simply message: "Make it so!" and he always did and I'm very grateful to him for that.

I hope this answers your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom