1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise and Fall of the Sea People (IMMaw)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by BornInCantaloup, Jan 22, 2020.

1. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

860 AD :
    Spoiler :
    Once is not usual, I build wealth (!) to speed up my way to Feudalism (after Forges and Courthouses and Ikhandas are done, mind you) :
    Spoiler :

China approaches, bombards for a turn. I offer a sacrificial worker as a tribute to the mighty Mao but he doesn't capture it !
    Instead, he bombards and sits for the turn.
    Feudalism comes in, I realize the archers I have queued are not upgraded to longbows... Squeek !

What can I do, now ? So many catapults... Feudalism came in one turn too late, sadly. I guess I'll resign now before I suffer a horrible death. "The horror, the horror..." Are you talking to me, Marlon ? Do you think this is Apocalypse Now or what ?
    Well, what can I say ? I already provided Soundjata (woodsman 3 axeman) with a screen of moral victory. Surely that is enough.
    *Sigh*
    Oh, wait ! Or maybe, just maybe, those Horse Archers would be best used on offence, uh ?
    Maybe you should have brought another War Elephant, Mao, eh ? I bet you hadn't thought about that ! Ha ! How fondly I remember the time you razed my Heroic Epic with 50 cavalries... Not today, Mao !

Spoiler :

So, the War Elephant eats 3 Horse Archers. I lose 4 units total and feel pretty good right now. The Empire is looking strong.
    The 19 cities are mostly set up and in position to pay off.
    Few pics for overview :

Spoiler :

Ulundi comfortably produces 2 HAs per turn. I haven't decided what to do with this GG. Perhaps split the xp on some Longbows or settle somewhere in the Byzantines lands : there are some nice production cities in the south.
    Overall pop is looking fine. I lose more than 250 gold if I raise my slider (not building wealth) but I am also close to 400 bpt.

Nicaea and Nicomedia are a little late, compared with other cities and I haven't cleared Justinian's Triremes (single city, I should kill him if I want to clear his units).
    Most cities won't be building wealth, by end of turn. I just haven't managed them, yet.

I can probably backfill my land, now. I probably wait on my Golden Age to revolt into Feudalism.
    Buddhism has not spread well, so I don't need Monotheism. I'll try to scout New-York (Mausoleum) in the meantime : last I saw, it's a hill city but there were only 2 garrison units.

Also northern cities :

Didn't realize my power rating looked that good : 0,8 to America... Maybe I can snipe New-York.
    I wonder if I can reiterate the coup we did against Justinian. Have America send a stack our way, take a detour around it and capture the land. Trouble is, he must be getting Castles.

I've got Stone and should probably try to failgold some into the Moai Statues, which I should also complete somewhere.

New-York :
    Spoiler :

Temple of Artemis, Oracle, Mausoleum of Mausoles, Academy, settled people ? No walls ?
    I don't have vision over the city, I hope this is accurate - the view is clear because bare map is toggled on. Or it will get updated when I get closer.

I was thinking I'd research Machinery, next, but maybe Construction first is the better choice.
    I kinda need both anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    krikav likes this.
  2. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Looking good BiC!!! AI has no idea how to handle the pressure so keep it up!
    Do you think you could have a side stack razing AI naval cities. You know, their SoD bombarding you on the frontilne and then you strike/cripple with Amphibious maces? Is ti already too late for something like that?

krikav likes this.
  3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I thought about something like that too, would be fitting for the sea-people. But I'm not sure it's possible to achieve though. :)
    Whenever I go for amphibious attacks in normal games, I rely heavily on ceasefires and element of suprise, no such thing here!

4. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I guess heavily promoted combat/CR2/Amphibious Maces could take care of 2-3 unsuspecting flatland defenders. But my sense for what could work is very rusty and probably wrong. I never played an AW game seriously.

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Always fun to have you drop by shaka, rusty or not. ;)

shakabrade likes this.
  6. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Oh ! Shakashak ! Good to see you !
    Yes, I'm quite sure there are still ways to surprise the AI. I don't know about a naval stack, as I'd be investing from nothing. But letting them bombard while I go behind their lines is definitely something I wanna do (Justinian fell that way). It's not that the naval stack is too late, it's that the land routes are more open. At least at the present. And I'll probably get maces, soon. Gumbolt pointed out rightly that my expansion was reckless but, now that I've recovered, it also gives me the means to tech up. I could even envision teching up to the Renaissance.
    The amphibious plan (take the promo out and land before attacking) could certainly do a lot in some setup. I've seen my first knights, so even combat 3 horse archers feel weak.
    If you want to play one of these games, I reckon you'd do well to do some warming up, first. Well, at least, I'd need that. Then, the opening is all about unit (ab)use : you remember those threads with GKey, old Snaaty paving the way, Doshin putting in some work.

7. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

I have come to a stadium of the game where it is a permanent draw; no-one can harm me but i cannot conquer someone seriously neither; i could at least pull of a victory over the time, but that's not very interesting.... so i decided to start a new AW challenge and after a few random rolls, it was.... Alex.... with a promising start. Certainly far beyond my Top 10 leaders, but here, he looks somewhat juicy. Click here if you want to join the game.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020