The Rise & Fall of The Mughals ~ v2 ~

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Rambuchan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. civ4us2006

civ4us2006 Chieftain

No, I am not running in a different language . . . just English. I tried to download a second time in hopes it might have been a fluk. Instead, I was revisiting my of friend: FILE NOT FOUND

"Art\Units\..\..\CIV3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\Otomo Spearman\SpearmanOtomoRun.amb"

GAME WILL NOW EXIT

2. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

civ4us2006: I believe the problem you are having relates to the "Hindu Spearman" unit, which uses the sound effects for the "Otomo Spearman" from the "Sengoku Conquest".

Do you have the "Play the World Expansion" pack, as well as Conquests?

If you don't then the game will never find that file it is looking for and will keep crashing. So, if you don't, then try this to make it use different sounds that you will certainly have:

1) Go to: Scenarios > Rise of Mughal 2 > Art > Units > Hindu Spearman.

2) Open up the ini.file for the Hindu Spearman.

3) Scroll down to the entries for [Sound Effects].

4) Now paste this over what you see there, so you replace the lines for these exactly:

RUN=..\Pikeman\PikemanRun.amb
    ATTACK1=..\Pikeman\PikemanAttackAPikeShield.wav
    ATTACK2=
    ATTACK3=
    DEFEND=
    DEATH=..\Pikeman\PikemanDeath.wav
    DEAD=
    FORTIFY=..\Pikeman\PikemanFortify.wav
    FORTIFYHOLD=
    FIDGET=..\Pikeman\PikemanFidget.wav
    VICTORY=..\Pikeman\PikemanVictory.wav

5) Save it, and fire up the scenario again.

If you spot any more crashes because you do not have the PTW files, then check your ini.files in the units folder to find if there is another unit trying to reference those Sengoku files. Simply follow the procedure above, choosing a vanilla unit's sounds instead.

Or you could just go score yourself a PTW disc!

Hope that fixes it.

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Retired Moderator

Don't forget that Conquests does include Play the World. So if he has the former, he should have the latter.

4. Drendor

Drendor King

I have played this scenario for over 20 hours now...

First of all I think the soundtrack is awesome, hell i even play it when I´m not playing. :crazyeye:

The game.

First i tried the mighty Mughals on monarchy difficulty.
    The first 20 turns i settled alot of new cities and worked the lands.
    My first war was against the Bengali. Their elephants are pretty nasty but I had fire lancers and good asian rockets to counter that. I also managed to bring in alot of allies in the war. For example the Rajputs and Nepalese. The Rajputs rode all over my country with their 3 move war camels to fight the war for me against the Bangals. It was a pretty sight.

After a long war (40+ turns) I finally counquered all of Bengali and got the nice dancing court wonder.

The blue nation beginning with an A.... :blush: backstabbed me in the middle of the war against Bengali. I actually lost a city to them, wich the Rajputs then recaptured. But by now I had the power and the help of some allies to repell this southern new attack.

I conquered all of that nation too and had a peace for maybe 20 turns.

Now it was time for Rajputs, eventhough they had been my allies through 2 wars. :mischief:

By now I had been using local cav and some horse artillery for quite some time. When Safavids declared on Rajputs I joined them and almost all of their cities are conquered too.

I will probably win this easy if I continue, i have 25 k victory points and no one is close to threathening me

The only tricky parts was staying out of war with Safavids (I payed tribute to them while I was engaged in Bengalen) and my siege of the 12 size Bengali capital wich was defended by 30+ troops including 15 palace guards.
    12 size city means 100% defense and I had only fire lancers and mughal riders. It was first when I got my first local cavs that I managed to capture the city.

Right now I´m playing Great Britain on emperor.

The garrison and supply line improvements are really powerful. Maybe too powerful in the hands of a human that maybe settles new colonies faster than the AI.

Great fun so far. I declared war on france the first turn and allied with the Vi....ya... :blush:
    I put Pondicherry under siege but it was impossible to hurt their troops so I broked the siege after maybe 30 turns.
    France was very lucky at sea, for example, one of their caravels killed two of my pirates during the early turns and they hurt my navy alot.
    Suddenly Portugal sneak attacks me but their longbowman fails to kill my musketman in my newfound city.

I now put much effort into settling the coast in Gujarat and Sind. I want to control the salpeter and sell it to Safavids instead of letting them have it
    I also settle agressive against the Rajputs, making them loose an iron colony and building a settlement close to their cotton.
    france are fast and manage to send a ship with a colonist to the salpeter resource south of safavids before me. I send a settler and maybe 5 arty and 8 musketman and manage to destroy their city after a hard struggle against their 4-5 spearmen who they managed to create in 5 turns.

Now Bengali sneak attacks my Calcutta settlements. I have settled a fort inland so I have 2 cities in this area. My musketmen are very lucky against their first wave of elephants and my cities manage to hold (at one point Calcutta was down to 1 defender with 2/5 hp) until I managed to bring in reinforcements from the south. It also helped alot with defending Calcutta area when I payed 450 gold to the Mughals to come to my aid in the war against Bengali. I also allied with nepal in this war.

Remeber I was at war with Portugal? I put alot of effort into capturing their city north of Aden (our english base & palace). After a long siege my 15 cannons and 20+ musketman managed to capture the city

More report from the british later....

5. Rambuchan

Like I say, there's something a bit bigger and richer in the pipeline. However, it's pretty epic and unusual, so it's taking ages. Plus it is summer time, hence world cup and barbecue season :cool:
    Thanks for the media player music suggestion. Upon reading the responses as to how long folk play for and plenty further thought, I think I prefer the music in-game. With the media player option, you don't get the diplomacy link up and it also smells a bit like musical file sharing (which I ain't into).

Of course, people have the option to take the music files out of the 'Build' and 'Diplomusic' folders and put them into a playlist as their soundtrack. But the option to have the music in-game isn't so open if I went for the media player approach.

It's a worthy point to make though and your post will give folk the idea and guidance I'm sure.

6. Rambuchan

civ4us2006: Reading Plotinus' input reminds me that you should have those necessary files. Check up on them in CIV3PTW/Extras/Medieval Japan and make sure they are there, and are ok. I can't say much else really, other than good luck!

Drendor: Thanks for an entertaining and detailed game report. Without wanting to sound unreasonable, it is a refreshing change to read a game report rather than tech problems which aren't in the scen. Sounds like you've had some fun.

Yes, the first 20 turns do play out as a REX passage of play from the epic civ. That's a crucial stage for many civs in this scen. But thereafter the intrigues of the time and place begin aproper. Sounds like you played it wisely with both the English and the Mughals. Props to you!

Your Mughals game played out quite similarly to many of my early test games (taking on Bengalis and Rajputs, suffering heat from the Safavids, moving south). I've also found that they are capable of some quite different types of strategy too.

However, don't for one minute think that you've got the game in the bag if you've got a sizeable VP lead. There's that city elimination rule in to check complacency (and boredom!) in the late game. On Emperor level, I've actually lost quite a few games like that. Plus there's the possibility of being undone by someone else's "Trade Mastery".

As the EIC, I think you did very well kicking the Portuguese out of your 'launch pad island'. That city will be very useful and productive for you. And why let those dang Portuguese have those resources? Ditto the Safavids! Sounds like you're progressing well with your other cities and wars.

Remember that the balancing act with the VPs and City Elim. is that you want allies who will kill each other off, not win the VPs. That's the treacherous line I seem to tread quite often when I play this.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you get up to with the East India Company and how different you find it to the Mughal game experience. Thanks again for posting. :goodjob:

7. Drendor

Drendor King

I have played Britain some more and it is now 1563 AD

After the victory north of Aden i decided to try and capture Goa before I sued for peace with Portugal.
    During maybe 20 turns i put Goa under siege and sent ALL reinforcements west of South africa to the siege.
    Bijapur was allied with me and managed to kill a portugese musketman now and then while I bombarded them with a huge stack of rocket wala. I upgrade all my cannons to the much SUPERIOR wala and now I have 77 pieces excluding captured arty. :eek:

Eventually my bombardment started to wear the portugese defenders down and I killed almost all of the defenders with rocket walas.
    Suggestion: Maybe the european nations should have another upgrade for cannons? Feels a little ahistorical to run around with those units.

After I captured GOA and got their nice Inquisition wonder + some captured arty I made peace with Portugal. I also made peace with Bengalen after my alliance with the Mughals was expired. No ground was traded in the Bengali war and I was probably a little lucky holding Calcutta before my reinforcements arrived.

Now I planned to bully the Rajputs and started to move my forces to Surat line (I have settled 2 other towns on that peninsula so it is a little british stronghold) and my colonies in Gujarat and Sind.
    Now the Safavids demanded salpeter and I told them to go where the sun dont shine. Luckily much of my forces was nearby and could easily be shipped to the places where they were needed.
    The Safavids advanced towards my colonies near the salpeter resource at the coast but I blew them to pieces with my artillery.
    Meanwhile the pesky Rajputs sneakattacked my settlement close to Jaisalmer.
    Those nasty war camels almost captured my city before my reinforcements from Surat line arrived.
    I have now captured both Jaisalmer and Sirohi from the Rajputs and Koh-i-bir from the Safavids. I also captured Shirvan and Herat at the coast from the Safavids. I will crush the safavids, I dont think they can resist my army of rocket wala guarded by hordes of musketmen :king:

Laterz! Imperial swine Drendor

8. Rambuchan

Hi there you Imperial Swine you. :D
    Two points to make on this good idea:

a ~ I've put some Euro arty in already. Both the Portuguese and the English have flavoured / UU arty pieces (Serpe and Maxim Gun).

b ~ I've very much followed the "hired hands" spirit of the generals of the time with this scen. That's why many units (eg. Rocket Wala), and Small Wonders (eg. Rajput Resolve) are buildable by all. Remember that during the times of the British Raj, their colonial military was made up moreso of Indian soldiers than British. Even administration saw a tiny fraction of a percentage of British personnel sitting at the top of a very steep, densely populated, power pyramid. The rest of the pyramid was made up of Indians. This pattern was in place before they arrived also, with the Mughals assigning many military and administrative jobs to Hindus.

This is why I haven't followed the stark division and assignment of troops that many seem to expect.

> Your assault on Goa sounded quite ruthless (77 arty!!?), but necessarily so. Goa is a real tough nut to crack. I hope you enjoy and make good use of the rewards.

> You also seem to be doing quite well against the Safavids. But watch them, they are no push overs like some others are. Denying them the Saltpeter was a good move. However, bear in mind that the Charcoal resource will still allow them the Firelancers (nothing big to worry about but to be noted).

> "Now I planned to bully the Rajputs"

An excellent proposition! :goodjob:

9. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

IIRC, the Medieval Japan folders definatley come with C3C too, because they are needed for the Sengoku Conquest...

I'd just like to say, great work, again! I've been playing as Napal. It was dead fun beeing a backwards civ, until I realised that declairing war on my neighbour that's close to all my un-guarded cities and killing his king would not destroy his empire!

I've also been playing as the Dark Red civ (I can't remember the name...). That was also fun, with me racing to build settlers faster than the Europeans, and building cities that "conviniently" give me resources that were in my opponents borders, all nicely roaded up...

10. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

I downloaded the scenario yesterday and I'm hooked! :D

I hadn't played good ol' Civ3 for a while so I decided to check out the scenarios forum if there were any promising new/updated scenarios. Then I saw this and downloaded it immediately because I remember playing the V1 something like year ago and I liked it then. I still like it!:goodjob:

I started the game as Bijapur. The early game was peaceful and there wasn't any wars. Then everyone started alliances agains Mughals and Rajput. I joined to anti-Mughal/Rajput alliance. There wasn't any action in my lands so I continued peaceful empire building...

Years passed and the war was still going on. It seemed that the anti-Mughal alliance was losing. I didn't care about that and instead I decided to expand my empire so I attacked Golconda (sp). I captured Haidarabad (sp) but I wasn't able to capture any other cities though Vijaygana (sp) helped me. I wasn't sure if I should contiune the war or not. But then I saw that the Mughals had captured Indore and Ahmadganar (sp)! And what's worst their army crossed my border!:eek:

I'll continue the story tomorrow because I'm too tired to write... :)

11. johnnyjal

johnnyjal Prince

I love the new version!
    It's great, thank You!!

I too could not resist playing as the arch villian East India Co
    on my first try. For once I stuck to my original plan and did
    not try to get too much. I colonized along and up the Luni
    to the poppy fields south of Delhi and eastward towards
    the Bengali plains of cotton. And also from Calcutta to close
    enough to Benares to get the silk away from the Bengalis.

I thought the ai would have no chance against such a simple plan.
    But soon a horde of Mughals appeared from nowhere heading towards
    Surat Line. I could only hope that musket and cannon would be enough.
    It was. And also enough to finish off the remnants of the furious assault.
    Luckily I also had a prized tech that was enough for the Safavids and
    Portugese to join me in an alliance against the Mughals. Soon I think all
    were in an alliance against the Mughals. I saw that cities far to the north
    and west changed hands frequently between the Mughals and Safavids.
    And soon only Delhi remained Mughal. Delhi survived many years and
    countless assaults by the Portugese. By the time Vasco took Delhi
    I had my thin red line from Surat Line to the Bengal plains of cotton
    and enough cannons and muskets to deter anyone from attacking.

I'm not sure why but the Safavids turned on me. I though it foolish
    of them. They lost and re-lost enough cities in their valiant struggle
    against the Mughals that I knew it would not take much to bring them
    down. The Rajputs joined me in an alliance. I only wanted a buffer zone.
    I was determined to bring these traitors down myself.

By this time I had my first ship of the line, some firelancers and rocket walas.
    These loaded into galleons with muskets in support sailed off with the ship of the line to sack their coastal cities or ones closr enough to the sea.
    I only had to sack two cities before their whole empire was in ruins.

With no Mughals and no Safavids and in possession of all I needed
    to build the great wonders I know I would win. To be sure there were
    fakirs hiding behind some cavalry disrupted other's supply of cotton
    whenever they could.

The Portugese were formidable but did not seem so ambitious or aggressive.
    I knew the Dutch and French were envious but did not think they would risk
    war against so many gatling guns and cavalry. As I waited for the great
    wonders to be completed I wondered if I could secure freedom of the seas
    for everyone. There is too many prviateers about and I've head of other
    strange ships but have yet to see one. I sent a very powerful fleet
    acccompanied by a powerful strike force to the east to see what I could find.
    At least it would give the Dutch something to think about.
    Before anything came of this expedition I had the Jewel in the Crown.

It was a great and fun game to play.
    I will play again, only this time as Vijayanagar.
    I do not know how I should play as this civ
    or what my objective should be.
    I think my first priority should be to find some way
    to be rid of Ft. St. George. I remember the mass horde of
    cannon and musket I massed there as the EIC. Probably
    Pondicherry too. I think I will leave the Portugese alone.
    Maybe I can take Golconda and parts of Bijapur
    and trade for anything else I need.
    Weaken the EIC and the Mughals may get too powerful.
    What could I do aganst them??

Great game to play and history to learn
    and appreciated sense of humor.
    But that damned Delhi Belly is so much more persistant than before!

Thank you!!

:goodjob:

12. Rambuchan

Thanks for the posts. Nice to see both old and new faces enjoying this scenario. I'm glad :)

Oh Vijayanagar are pretty good fun, and quite different from the other mainland civs. I would recommend either building up a large empire in the south, in the manner that you've suggested, making sure you hit those Europeans early, before they get out of hand. And / or stike an alliance with powers in the north to face down the might of the Mughals. If done right, you should not have to encounter any Mughal forces. Your allies will get weak in taking them on and then...who knows what could happen... :mischief:

13. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Hey, Rambuchan! I don't see you around these parts much anymore!

My stratagy for playing as Vijayanagar wasalways to side with (in this order) the British, Portugese(SP?), French, Dutch, Persians, Mughals. The Europeans (and Persians) would do all the "work", whilst I'd go around, colonising and waiting until I got a chance to build a "spaceship".

14. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I have played Vijayanagar trying to follow the spirit of the advice in the Arthashastra (the Indian equivalent of Machiavelli's The Prince).

First of all is the law of the fishes: the big ones eat the little ones, so try to stay friends with those bigger than you and eat as many little ones as you can so you get bigger.

Second is the ring theory of geopolitics: imaging the map as a dart board with your kingdom as the bullseye. The circle of kingdoms just next to you are your natural enemies, and the circle just beyond them are your natural (temporary) allies. It was a lot of fun creating alliances to do what Hitler and Stalin did to Poland, and then trying to quickly make new allies as the next concentric circle flips from former ally to potential enemy.

I had to play a couple of times to get the rhythm down but it was a very satisfying game experience.

15. eaglefox

eaglefox Chhatrapati

I was just reading the description for this scenario and its sound interesting. But something has me confused though. This scenario is named the rise and fall of the Mughals, however the empire responsible for the decline of the Mughals (the Marathas) has not been represented. I was just wondering which civ you chose to be the reason for the fall of the Mughals. Is it gonna be the European ones?

16. eaglefox

eaglefox Chhatrapati

I suppose its just the game engine that doesn't allow Marathas to be there in this scenario. Its sad cause they are my favourite civ from this time period. They achieved so much with so little to start with and became a pretty big empire taking out almost all of the Mughal territory upto Bengal in the east and Agra in the North.

17. Rambuchan

Virote_Considon: Hi there! You don't see me around these parts because my life is filled with many other things these days and I simply don't have time to spend on modding. Nevertheless, as you can see, I do check in every now and then to see how folks are doing with this. I think Blue Monkey has given some very good advice for your game in a most excellent post.

Blue Monkey: As above, excellent post. The Arthashastra is indeed an awesome work of political guidance and is very much a forerunner / role model for The Prince (is there evidence of Machiavelli knowing about it btw?) Both texts have been referred to in the Pedia somewhere or other if I remember rightly. You have identified the two most significant pieces of advice in that text for people seeking to succeed in this game, namely 'big and little fish' & 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. The Arthashastra contains far more than just such strategic guidance. It also provides an invaluable insight into the culture and social airs and graces that the Mauryan royals were immersed in. You must also be aware of The Shahnameh or Shahnama, if you have knowledge of The Arthshastra. Much the same advice can be found in there, besides much else in the way of Persian Iranian history, myth and culture.

eaglefox: Hi there and thanks for taking a look at this scenario. The omission of The Marathas is down to (a) the game engine and (b) the start of the time period. The Marathas arose after the beginning of the time period, from the ashes of the Bahamani Kingdoms and Deccan Sultantates (some have been included here). They simply were not around at the date this scenario begins and the constraints of modding do not allow a civ to appear out of nothing. Modders must make these concessions and sacrifices unfortunately, but you're dead right that they were very much the ones who rang the death knell on the Mughal enterprise. [edit: I have given The Marathas a nod with the UU included for Ahmadnagar actually, so check the pedia entry on The Sadar Rider.] As for your question about who might step into their shoes to play The Maratha role in this scenario.....that would be you!!

18. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

:lol:Anyone who recognizes the source of my nom de guerre will chuckle at the layered joke here (Who better to advise on how to get rid of the Mleccha):lol:

19. johnnyjal

johnnyjal Prince

This is great advice. I tried it hard. Yet it did me no good in my game
    as Vijayanagar. I lost miserably. I did manage to rid myself of the thorns
    in my side of Brits and French and even to take most of Bijapur and Golcanda.
    It cost a too powerful Bengal and Mughal. I was soon reduced to nothingness
    and unable to find out who finally won. I must try again as these guys.
    They seem to be in the middle of everything but w/o enough resources.....

---and those Safavids seemed to do nothing but take the $$ and wait
    on the sidelines...................

20. St Exupère

St Exupère Warlord

Hello,

Finally found the time to play this scenario: it is incredibly addictive in all respects. Merci! I knew very little of this historic time period, I have now learnt a lot.

(1526-1560)

I am 50 turns through my 1st game with the Portuguese at Emperor level. There is a lot of good land to grab early on and I had 2 fantastic strongholds in Goa and Cannanore to expand (btw, should Cannanore and Calicut not be positioned the other way around along that western coast?).

In the southern tip of India I managed to outrun the Dutch and French and built present-day Cochin and Nagapatao which gave me access to both spice and elephant. So far that area has remained peaceful and I have built a nice army in order to counter any sneak attack by Vijayanagar (which I feared for quite some time, yet never happened), while having fun with my pirates and rocket wallas pounding at all the fleet activity going on. I have had time to invest in land and city infrastructures and feel I could soon launch some sort of attack from this solid and self-sustaining base in Kerala.

The Goa area was both much more strategic and tough. I managed to build 2 cities in present-day Satara and Gadag securing iron, cotton, silk and elephant supplies which seemed splendid. My colonists all came from Goa while Mascate was sending troop support for a while until a couple of my gallons were sunk in the middle of the Arabian Sea by pirates. That marvelous slice of territory right in the Indian heartland was never going to be accepted too long by my Deccan neigbours and at the most crticial time it was Bijapur that launched (by itself) a massive attack around ~1540, focusing on my newly-found city of Satara. Their bowmen were in huge numbers and much more mobile than my troops; I had not built any walls and it came down in the end to a lone Musketman preventing Satara from being taken after an epic battle. Such heroic defense prompted Afonso de Albuquerque who immediately raised an army of serpes in Goa while my cannons were upgraded to rocket wallas - the former soon starting a much welcome Golden Age. I had a tough time defending Satara and then my borders, but eventually Bijapur was losing way too many soldiers while my garrisons and supply lines were starting to pay off. Daman (renamed Baçaim for more accuracy) fell, cutting sea access to Bijapur. My army struggled to reach the jungle-infested Raichur but it eventually fell too while all those Bijapuri bowmen coming in from the north were systematically cut to pieces by my artillery of rocket wallas stationed in Satara. I was now in control of 4 cities around Goa and utterly dominated the field. Capturing Bijapur (+ its nice Caves wonder) and Talikor was easy and apart from an Himalayan colony all that is left of Bijapur now is Gulbaraga. Bijapur failed to forge an anti-Portuguese alliance and though I was very lucky to have that musketman stand alone and prompt a leader early on, my depth and technical superiority + Golden Age due to serpes were always going to prevail vs their mobility and numbers.

Elsewhere I also colonized part of Burma from my two original bases, without any support from the mainland. Pirates were a minor threat and I was never attacked, now helming 4 rich ports off the western burmese/siamese coast by ~1560. I might soon be able to attack the Malaccan Pirates strongholds in the region.

In ~1560 I am head-to-head with Mughals on VP, 2nd in land, 6th in population. No Europeans (other than me) have managed to seriously make progress in mainland India, and the early Mughals war efforts have all back-fired (vs Bengals and Safavids). The size of my army is roughly the double those of the 2 Persians civs and the English.

I want to finish-off the Bijapuri, colonize a bit further in India and Burma and start focusing on science in order to avoid being outrun there (which I am slightly currently, having preferred the cash for war + infrastructure efforts). After that, only God knows who is to feel the wrath of my inquisitors.

More later...