The Rise & Fall of The Mughals ~ v2 ~

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Rambuchan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

I think the people have spoken. Bring on Zakir Hussain :mischief:

What's this new scenario you're working on?

2. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

OMG, the horror pressure, the horror pressure.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of doing little bits and pieces here and there. When I do the new soundtrack I will not only do that. I will also clean up the tech tree, provide a nicely decorated background for it, fix the little bits that need fixing on units and icons, plus I will throw in some new surpises to make it a really new experience. But, to be perfectly honest, right now I'm busy with the other scen and I'm still sick of dealing with the Mughals after so much time spent with it. If you knew how much time I spent with these files (think in months) then you might cut me some slack you know.

The new scenario I am working on will be streets ahead of this one. A mix of medieval history and fantasy, on a global scale. Click the "Medieval Macabre" purple text links in my sig to get an idea of the world I'm busy bringing alive (while you guys harp on about some Zakir Hussain :p )

3. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

I'm just giving you a hard time ;) This scenario based on the Medieval imaginary world sounds like a great idea.

4. Rambuchan

Yeah, I know you are buddy. And I'm just being a Teflon modder.

The next scen has come on a heck of a lot further than just being an idea.... And I'm far more motivated and excited by that than revisiting something I've already done. Sorry, but all good things come to those who...

5. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

Make a fuss? Sorry there's an old (Portuguese) saying that translates as follows: He who doesn't cry doesn't get the tit :lol: Alright Ima stop spamming now. Look forward to this next scenario.

6. Rambuchan

Don't worry man, you'll get your tit, just when this mama's good and ready. :lol:

7. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Don't look now but there's a barnyard full of squealing piglets running around demanding dinner. :p

8. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Our leader is temporarily indisposed :p so I thought I might stop by to keep things moving along.

I finished my game with the Pirates. I managed to hang on to the end but of course I didn't win. Has anyone else tried playing the Pirates? You can have a lot of fun with them raising havoc with the other civs.

9. Rambuchan

Congrats on finishing up your game 7ronin. I too enjoy having a bash around with the Pirates, I have actually come close to some victories with them, by exploiting the city elimination to bring down the big guns. Never quite managed it though.

---------

Now, I'm visiting the thread with that new soundtrack in mind. I've got one question and some information, to prepare and inform those not familiar with Indian Classical Music and its basic principles.

Question:

How long do you guys usually play the scen for per session? I ask this because this music is, by its very nature, of epic proportions. One track that I have in mind is 35 minutes long alone, for example. If I had this as the first track, those who play for 20mins at a time would only hear this track and nothing else. So please let me know roughly how long you play for, so I can present you all with some variety. Also, what about in Diplomacy? (Personally, I hold off my games for rare but massive, multi-hour, proper time wasting sessions, so an epic soundtrack works well for me).

Info:

Firstly, I've already put a fair bit of music history and theory info into the pedia. This deals with various cultural elements of a diverse Classical Music Tradition, also how it differs from Western Classical Music. So you can look to the entries for "The Royal Music Room" and "Deccan Arts" for some information on what you shall hear shortly.

Secondly, I'm just going to share this one, rather simple and well put, basic intro to Classical Indian Music. This too will provide a nice framework for a deeper understanding. Get the low down here and (check his links too).

I will also scan some nice "beginner's guide" notes to all this music and post them, so you guys will be experts in the various forms of Indian Classical Music and truly get under the skin of it all and have that much vaunted "immersive experience". :cool:

10. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

Whenever I sit down to play, it's always for a couple hours. So bring on the 30 minute compositions, that's the way I like it! :p

11. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

@Rambuchan have you been considering another additional scenario at an earlier time period 1700's maybe?

You could have:

Mysore
    Marathas
    Hydreabad
    Sikh Confedearcy
    Mughals much reduced by now
    Afghans
    Increased European prescence
    And fringe local civs

I think it would be most intreasting. You could have leaders like Shivaji, Tipu Sultan, Durrani etc... What do you think?

12. Rambuchan

Silver: Hiya. Yes, of course I thought of that! And I think it would be great. There are many allusions to the later period in the game already, like with the Sardar Rider.

I've thought of that both as a stand alone scenario, and also as an extension of this one (the next age on the tech tree). I don't think I can do the second option because, as your civ list indicates, many of the kingdoms and powers were totally different by then. So the first option would be the way to go. But, like I say above, I'm busy making something else right now. If you want to adapt this one, then go right ahead :)

Jonatas: Right after I posted about the music I had a sniff around on my hardrive and stumbled across a dusty corner with some seriously epic classical tracks in it. There's one track here that is 1 hour and 3 miuntes long. The file is actually 116MB all on its own! Furthermore, I've realised that this is a Shakti tune, recorded live at a concert which I even went to! :eek:

But anyway, we could never recreate this musical experience as it was truly intended. Many of these performances of a single "track" would go on for hours and in some cases, days. Like I've mentioned all over the 'pedia, those boys liked to chill :cool:

13. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

Now you're just teasing me :mad:

This is true. But a lot of music made by Zakir Hussain or Shakti is a unique hybrid and brings together many influences. From what I understand (and I'm no expert), Shakti incorporated both Hindustani and Carnatic styles, with of course an English guitarist. And it's wildly intense, philosophical (in the true sense of the word) and absolutely beautiful. From my liner notes: Shakti means: Creative Intelligence, Beauty & Power.

Great trailblazing music in any case, especially the live '76 album :D

14. Rambuchan

Indeed it is a hybrid and all those other things you mentioned. I'm going to spill out a mix of styles and will be making selections over the next few days.

FYI: "Shakti" is also associated with the feminine / gentle power, at least in the mythical and cosmological sense.

15. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

Yes that's what I understood too, that it represents the female force. However from the crazily intense music I heard, I always assumed it was a powerful female force, not a weak one. Just the way I like it...

16. Rambuchan

The Female Force can be powerful and intense, as well as gentle, oh yes.

17. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

I pulled up the wikipedia etymology of Shakti :D It's pretty cool:

I like that, it can mean female consort or weapon.

18. Rambuchan

I find this whole school of cosmology and spirituality very sensible indeed, despite its seeming and stereotypical "cosmicness". As with so many other cosmologies, it simply tells us the tale that what is within is without and vice versa.

Furthermore, it's a quite beautifully sublime, explorative and malleable (not rigid) philosophy, much like the music. Ah!

19. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

I never play Mughals for less than an hour. My usual session is around two or three however I think I have played for as long as twelve.

Please a new scenario. Rise and Fall of the Princely States? You have to do a new one if only to find a place for "Lingum Worship."

20. Azmorg

Azmorg Bretwalda

Hey Rambuchan!

One way to get around the ol' "I never hear anything but the first music track 'cause I only play for a few minutes at a time" snafu is to suggest that the player load the entire music list into their media player as a playlist, set it to play at random and then turn off the music in Civ (leave the sound fx on of course). This way the short-time players will have a chance to hear all the good stuff.