The Rise of Macedon

It's possible to check how many units of a certain type or certain civ are killed in a certain coordinate "box" or region in a certain period of time now.

In other words, if the Prussians defeat the Austrian Army in the field, then Austria capitulates. Perhaps they keep all cities but they are now Prussian Allies and Prussia perhaps gets a gold or unit bonus.

Frankly, very few wars throughout history have hinged on the capture of a city. Far more it seems were won by the destruction of an army in the field. With lua, civ2 can finally do that.
Yes, actually WW2, the Roman, Hellenistic, and Mongol Wars, and Imperial Age Colonial wars (all HUGE favourite topics in Civ2 scenarios, notably) are among exceptions, relatively speaking, of wars in history where conquering your enemies and taking their cities and territory outright was the modus operandi. It is true, now that I consider JPetroski's words here, that a LOT of wars outside the ones I just listed and a few other military epochs were won by big battles on battlefields instead.
Also, if these mechanics that Techumseh is looking for could be done, some of my stalled scenario ideas may actually become more possible in the form I'd envisioned them in.

I'll be travelling through this map section with my students the next four days, including the Aigai royal tombs in Vergina (can't take photos of all the gold though) and the temples at Dion. :)
I'm surprised the gold's still there after all this time and wasn't plundered by Crusaders or Ottomans in the Middle Ages... :p

I need the designer back to do anything with this scenario :) I hope to get to release it someday as there was a toooon of work put into it from the three of us.

He popped in awhile back. I think he had a computer issue that destroyed significant work of his, which is always demoralizing. Nothing like getting Macedon up and running to fix that though, if he's lurking :)

Hiya chaps. Long time no see :)

Hope you're all well. I suffered a major motivational drought & then got caught up in other projects. I have been checking in from time to time but don't want to commit to any projects that I don't think I'll see through. It's not fair on others to put in effort that may well go to waste. The loss of pretty much all of my work was crushing & really was the final nail in the coffin. I think, paradoxically, Lua made me realise I didn't have the stamina to take things to the next level. It's an amazing tool, with vast potential but that much freedom can be intimidating.

John, you're more than welcome to adopt Rise of Macedon, if you feel motivated to complete the project. I loved the idea of Philip carving out a powerful kingdom & laying the groundwork for Alexander's campaigns. Each move adding a pillar to the foundations.

Glad that you're OK - I will move forward with it eventually. We did far too much work not to see it completed!

Good to hear from you, McM!
I hear ya, dude. I took a break from CIV2 in 2019 and a few times in 2020. Sometimes the scenario creation drive just peters out.
Lua is like facing down a Terminator at first, but I am slowly learning the ropes like a caveman with a Enigma code machine...:)

But I think I speak for the crew here in saying it's just nice to hear that you are faring OK.

I do appear to have a bit of a technical issue. When I launch either ToT or ToTPP, I get to the initial menu screen & the first few bars of music start, only for the game to freeze. I'm using the same USB as before, so nothing has changed with that. I'll try re-installing ToT+patches and see if that helps but thought I'd ask if this was a known issue?

Top Bottom