The Rise of Moraie

"Doesn't make sense to me. Why would they go eastward? There's nothing there."

"There's Ta-Tu, though."

The scouts had observed as the Mongol warriors broke camp and marched east. Opinions were divided as some wanted to follow, while some were in favour of continuing the exploration to the north and west. Others were concerned about the safety of undefended Moraien, and urged quick return.

"Who cares? As long as they're not heading to our city, that's fine with me." this was followed by sounds of agreement form the others.

"No, our city is defenseless. Let us return at once. The Mongols might only be moving to join with their friends in Ta-Tu before attacking Moraien."

"Do we know that?" dubious, one warrior who have been silent spoke.

"So you would risk it happening, then?" countered another next to him.

The appointed leader of the exploration was silent throughout the debate. His charge was to explore the northern lands as much as he could before returning. Yet now the safety of the city seems to be at risk. If the Mongols attack, the lord would need every man who can fight. Better to err on the side of caution, he thought. "Break camp and make ready to move out. We return home at once."

The Science Advisor frowned. A message was received from the southern exploration party that the Mayans have beaten them to a nearby village, and the villagers have been enslaved by the Mayans. And more, the villagers brought with them a variety of religious rituals and ceremonies, akin to that of the Mongols, Hittites and Sumerians. Shaking his head, he knew that it was not their fault. His lord was informed, and was not pleased. If only our warriors had gotten there first. Reaching the audience hall, he saw that the other advisors were already there. Apparently something of importance had happened.

"You're late." whispered Farei as Cad came to stand next to him.

"Is something amiss? The council seems to be gathering a bit earlier than usual this morning."

"Envoys from a people called Germans reached our city last night. They were encountered by the warriors we have up north. I thought you knew." said Farei, lifting an eyebrow in question.

"No, I wasn't informed." Cad's eyes narrowed.

"You must've been off to your secret workshop then eh? Maybe you should let people know where it actually is so that next time.."

His eyes were transfixed at the door. Following the Foreign Advisor's stare, Cad saw that the Germans had entered, and took his place next to Farei. The envoys walked slowly towards the Lord of Moraie. Everyone quieted and turned to get a better look at the foreigners. When they finally reached the apropriate spot,they bowed.

"Greetings,lord. We bring word from Bismarck, Great Chancellor of Germania. He wish you good health, and that your people prosper." still bowing, the envoys spoke stiffly.

Sashie VII nodded and said, "May your Chancellor also be blessed with what he has wished us."

"It's wonderful. We should build a temple for our people, you know. Organizing burials are much more convenient when the shamans have someplace else to conduct the rites instead of their houses all the time." said Calor, the Cultural Advisor to Domea. They were walking down the hall to their quarters.

"I don't know about that, but the citizens would be happier." said Domea distractedly. Calor noticed and touched her arm.

"You're not still mad at Cad, are you?"

"No..well, just a little. The treasury is my responsibility. He could've asked me first before he went off promising the Germans this and that." Domea stopped by the window and glanced out, sighing. "He should have asked."

Patting her friend's back, Calor said, "You know he's such a fool for new things." Sighing again, Domea then smiled and glanced at Calor.

"You're right. At least Farei managed to cut it down to just two gold bags."

"See, things aren't so bad after all."

"Apart from that, there are certain beasts to the south that are suitable for these wagons and carts, my lord. The locals call them horses, and they roam the grasslands not far from our city." Cad was ecstatic. His fellow shamans have perfected the usage of wheels and innovated some designs for it as well. "And to the best of our knowledge, we're the only ones with this technology!"

"I see. Well done, Cad. But I have another task for you." Sashie began outlining the new objective for his Science Advisor.

"Yes, great one. We shall start experimenting with different metals immediately." still beaming with pride, Cad turned to start giving out instructions when his lord spoke again.

"But do not spend excessively towards this. Take no more than is necessary from the treasury." Sashie VII didn't notice Cad's crestfallen expression as he exited the chamber.

Making his way slowly to the courtyard, Sashie VII nodded to several servants as he walked. Things seems to be well for the people, at least for the moment. Domea have finally gathered everyone of the Val clan, and arranged for them to found a city to the south. Their chieftain will be appointed to lead the pilgrim, and organize the building of the new settlement. The preparation has been long and tedious, but the day has finally come. They would leave after he had given the Val chieftain his final instructions, as well as the Vals. He made a mental note to send Farei and his diplomats to the other nations afterwards, and see what may be gained from their newfound technology. And Milliad would need a better place to train our soldiers, too.

They have finally reached the top. It was a long climb, and it was only their rigorous training that kept them on their feet all the way.

"Such a wonderful view! It was well worth it." exclaimed one man, followed by out-of-breath grunts of agreement.

Still catching his breath, their leader signalled for his men that they would rest for a bit. Around him, some men were looking down at the lands surrounding the mountain while others were content to sit or lie down.

"Look! By the hillside!" one man pointed down to the eastern hills.

"I think it's the Hittites." said his comrade-in-arms.

The others gathered to see where they pointed. "And there's more to the west, too. Why have they come south?"

They then turned to their leader. His face was grim. "Whatever the reason, we must find out." he said. He left unsaid the gnawing thought on everyone's mind; What if they've come for Moraien?

Great stuff so far, Sashie!

I hope you don't quit on this one ;)

:king:

There's no defense in Moraien! :eek: ! Don't let the warriors take it without a fight!

The moon shone brightly that night.

Laughter sounded around the new settlement, as they gathered to feast and celebrate their new homes. The lands were as good as Lord Sashie VII promised, and that they were entrusted with it pleased them.

The Val chieftain however, was not as joyful as those around him. His mind was plagued by dark thoughts, giving him no peace despite the rejoicing of his fellow clansmen. Still remembering the words of the Darr chieftain before they left the Moraien, he was unsure of himself. He knew that the time will eventually come for him to choose, yet he wonders if his choice would be wise..

They saw the band climb halfway up the mountain before dark. Under the cover of darkness and the forest they slowly moved closer to the foot of the mountain, to strike at dawn. The fires clearly marked the location of the enemy, and they were anxious to attack. Young, bloodthirsty men, they set out from their village to seek their enemies and return with the heads of those they slew, proof of their manhood and worthiness to the tribe. And at long last, their chance had come. Both sides were roughly equal in numbers, from what they observed earlier. Their advantage would be stealth and surprise, and this they shall use well. Eager for their share of killing, most were already talking loudly of how many they shall kill, each boast outdoing the other. Like the untrained, reckless youngsters they were, none rested before the battle nor thought to post sentries around their own camp. Which was their undoing.

The ambush was swift and well executed. Caught off guard, most of the unsuspecting barbarian warriors died before they could reach their weapons. Some kept their wits and fought, but were cut down easily by the superior foe. Within minutes it was quiet, the only noises being that of the dying barbarians. They too were quickly silenced by the victors. The leader of the attackers looked around the carnage and nodded in satisfaction. He chuckled as one barbarian gave a twisted strangled croak when he stepped on his neck, crushing his windpipe. Spitting at the barbarian corpse at his feet, he gave orders to regroup and return to the siege of Ta-Tu.

The group stopped.

The Moraien warriors had watched the sporadic battles between the Mongols and Hittites to their west. Disinclined to interfere, they soon moved away from the hill and the boundaries of Ta-Tu. They were but a few minutes down the trail when the advance scouts returned with word of signs of a battle, seemingly taking place the night before. They had passed by the corpse-littered camp and spent the afternoon piling the dead atop a funeral pyre. Barbarians they may be, no warrior deserved to die rotting under the sun and rain, left to be ripped apart by the scavengers. Not even the most hated of enemies. More than a few wondered who had slaughtered these barbarians. While no Moraien would hesitate to fight a barbarian, such indifference towards the dead disgusted them.

After the work was done, they made camp a little farther up the river and discussed the situation at hand. To the east the Mongol-Hittite war was raging, and they must not seek trouble with either side, Some argued for more exploration up north, but the fact that most of the northern lands are Hittite was pointed out in response, silencing them. The discussion then turned to the barbarians. Logic dictated that for the wandering warrior band to be here, a village is nearby. It was barbarians who almost destroyed the people of Moraie and they are sworn enemies of Moraie. Thus it was decided that they would search for the village and burn it to the ground.

Farei saw the hesitation of the German diplomats, and pressed on. "Surely at the price of six bags of gold, this is a highway robbery for us. A golden opportunity! Do you believe that your chancellor would have rejected this offer?"

The Germans looked at each other and one spoke softly. "But as with all other agreements, we cannot bind our nation without his knowledge and permission. Even if it is a fair, even generous proposal." The others nodded in agreement at this.

Farei leaned forward, and looked at each German in the eye before he spoke again, slowly for emphasis. "I will make this offer one last time, The knowledge of letters and Alphabet for only six German bags of gold. Decline this, and we shall not make this offer again. Even if Chancellor Bismarck himself pleads before my lord." his voice was low, yet confident and with a tone of finality.

This added to the Germans’ indecision even more. Caught between a rock and a hard place, they whispered among themselves for several minutes, apparently trying to reach a consensus. Farei waited patiently, his face an expressionless mask. Then, the Germans seemed to reach a decision.

"Very well. We accept."

Farei nodded, barely restraining his sigh of relief. A fast message was received last night from his subordinate in the Hittite capital, informing him that the Hittite had also discovered the wonder of alphabets. He was desperate to prevent the Germans from teaching the Hittites the use of wheels in exchange for learning the alphabets. Lord Sashie would be pleased, he thought.

Looks good! Could we see a picture of your empire?

What do you want to do with all your money? Wouldn't demands for tribute happen more often, and thus throw you into a war if you decline?

Olav said:
Can we see a picture of your empire?

Sure, here it is:

You'll notice there's lots of :smoke: in my early game play. :blush:

I forgot that wines give bonus food :wallbash: And I didn't really have plan for the first three, four chapters. I was more concerned with writing the story and getting used to keeping a turnlog then. Especially for the first two chapters, my moves were rushed (final examination month not over yet). Once I'm done with my last two papers (Monday & Thursday) I'll start focusing more on the game though.

Looking good, so it seems like the Mongols and Hittites are fighting each other? That is good, that means you can build up.

Thanks for the pic! Nice to see that spice and silks are within reach! Lets hope iron is around too. Berlin was very close, though! :eek:

A question about 5CC: Does this mean you can only build 5 citites, and stick with only them in the rest of the game? That is, not capturing rival cities?

Nice to see that spice and silks are within reach! Lets hope iron is around too. Berlin was very close, though! :eek:

A question about 5CC: Does this mean you can only build 5 citites, and stick with only them in the rest of the game? That is, not capturing rival cities?

I believe Sashie said that she can only build 5 cities, but still capture rival cities. I think. Let's see what she says.

Olav said:
Berlin was very close, though! :eek:

I don't think so, since I didn't see German borders at all. The German spear (red) came from the east. The blue borders are Mayan.

Olav said:
Does this mean you can only build 5 cities, and stick with only them in the rest of the game? That is, not capturing rival cities?

5CC means only having 5 cities for the entire game. I'm playing "strict" 5CC, meaning that having a 6th city is never allowed, even if I abandon it the same turn I acquire it. Build, capture, demand, anything goes as long as I only have 5 cities.

d.highland said:
I believe Sashie said that she can only build 5 cities, but still capture rival cities. I think. Let's see what she says.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

I am not a girl! There's a picture of me somewhere in the Members Photos Thread at OT, or you could click on my name in my sig.

People have commented that my pseudonym sounds like a female's name, so I understand ;) But I like it, and I'm going to stick with it for a long time yet :trouble:

I don't think so, since I didn't see German borders at all. The German spear (red) came from the east. The blue borders are Mayan.

Ah, of course, the Mayans. :hammer2: I have never met "red" germans before I think :)

5CC means only having 5 cities for the entire game. I'm playing "strict" 5CC, meaning that having a 6th city is never allowed, even if I abandon it the same turn I acquire it. Build, capture, demand, anything goes as long as I only have 5 cities.

Sounds hard and fun! I have to try that variant some time.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

I am not a girl! There's a picture of me somewhere in the Members Photos Thread at OT, or you could click on my name in my sig.

People have commented that my pseudonym sounds like a female's name, so I understand ;) But I like it, and I'm going to stick with it for a long time yet :trouble:

Sorry, my mistake.

The night was dark.

Sashie VII was alone, as he had been since he started spending his nights here. It was a peaceful place, suitable for meditation and reflection. He was sitting on a rock by the river when he heard someone approaching. On his feet instantly, he spun to meet the stranger. In the gloom of the night, he could not recognize the face.

"It's me, Sashie. Or have you forgotten an old friend?" the stranger took another step forward and his features became a little clearer. It was Ganh, a boyhood friend with whom he escaped the destruction of their clan years before. To the best of their knowledge, they were the last of their clan.

Sashie VII relaxed and sat on the rock again. "What brings you here, Ganh?"

Ganh chuckled. "I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd wander around a bit." Ganh sat next to his friend, saying nothing else. For long minutes the only sound was the voice of the night.

"What troubles you, Sashie?" When there was no reply, he continued, "I knew you since our boyhood days, friend. Something's got you worried."

Sashie VII smiled a little. "Everything, Ganh. The fate of our people is in my hands, and I've not the barest hint on what to do."

"And that scares you?"

Taking a deep breath, Sashie VII turned to his friend. "Yes, it does. I'm the leader of Moraie, Ganh. There are many things to be done, and even one mistake would be costly for our people."

"Perhaps, Sashie. But no one said you need to do everything by tomorrow. Take it bit by bit, alright?"

Sashie VII then turned his gaze to the stars. They were clouded, as was the moon. He's right, thought Sashie VII. Little by little.. I need a plan.

"But.." his words were cut off by a stern look on the lord's face. Sighing inwardly, he said, "It will be done, milord."

Cad walked out, puzzled by Lord Sashie VII's decision. He was beginning to make small progresses on the research regarding metals, albeit with limited funds available. Yet now the lord has ordered the worked ceased, and that they were to start formulating a system for numbers and counting. And this new project was to receive minimal funding as well. I really hope he knows what he's doing.

After Cad left, Sashie VII listened to Domea's explanations and reports on how their empire was doing so far. Apart from Traa's agitation over a new Mayan settlement in the area where the silks were found, not much was of importance.

Sifting through the facts and information from Domea, he knew that the empire was moving in the wrong direction. Moraien is weak and small, with no real productive capabilities. That must be remedied. Apart from that, Val-Igsthea also needs attending to. A lot of things to do, and Sashie VII knows that they must be done quickly.

"We are sorry for the mistake. Such trespasses shall not happen again. Please convey our apologies to your master. "

"We will, my lord." bowing, the Hittite emissary stepped back and joined his companions standing at one side. Farei then nodded to a servant by the door.

"My lord, the envoys from Zululand." Farei spoke towards his lord, but his voice was clear throughout the hall.

They entered, and every eye in the hall were upon them. Tall, dark and strong, the Zulus were first come across by the warrior band up north, who were the subject of the Hittite protests earlier. Reaching the appropriate spot, all three envoys bowed in unison.

"Our great Chief Shaka shall refrain from ridding the world of Moraien filth, lord. Will you accept his offer of peace and friendship?"

Cad was speechless.

Farei grinned widely, and Sashie VII smiled slightly. The rest of the council was also in good humour. Meeting the Zulus were proved to be a boon, as the diplomatic trades were amazingly profitable for Moraie.

For the knowledge of Alphabets, Farei and his diplomats had managed to obtain the theory of the mystical aspects in life, as well as metal working secrets. In addition, a net yield of 85 gold bags were also obtained. The only mystery that were not acquirable had been the Hittites' writing system, but none were too concerned of the matter. It was exorbitantly expensive as Mursilis' monopoly on it has fueled his greed.

Sashie VII was especially pleased with the news, as some shamans reported of an ore found in the Nori Hill matching the so-called iron described by the Zulus.

W00T! The road to success is now no longer riddled with potholes, though it still be long and up great hills. Good work, Sashie. :)

It must be taken! But securing the spices first should be the first thing to do :)

Does it matter that Palenque is Mayan - can you keep it?

If he doesn't have 5 cities when he captures it, I don't see why he couldn't keep it.

and yes, I too think you must liberate the Mayans at Palenque :groucho:

Top Bottom