1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of Moraie

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Sashie VII, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

"My lord Mursilis!"

Mursilis broke his reverie and looked up from his desk. One of his advisors had just entered, panting by the door. He put down his quill and said, "What is it?"

The man began to walk slowly towards his lord as he regained his breath. "We have just received word from our men to the south, milord. They reported of witnessing a group of strangers pillage our roads just outside of Hattusas."

Mursilis' eyes widened at the news. "What! Who dares this?" slapping the desk as he stood, he looked straight at his advisor with rage in his eyes. "Who are the strangers?"

The advisor was discomfited by his lord's sudden foul temper. "We were not sure, milord.. the witnesses weren't able to get a close look.."

Leaning forward towards the advisor, Mursilis' jaw tightened. Unable to withstand his glare much longer, the advisor blurted, "They wore Moraein garbs, milord. They were Moraien soldiers."

Turning away from his advisor, Mursilis seethed within. His advisor stood uneasily, unsure of what he should say. Standing now by the window, Mursilis did not notice waves breaking upon the shores below. Nor did he noticed as his advisor slipped out of the door. "Curse you Sashie!"

"They would sell their own people?" Sashie VII was astounded.

Domea nodded again, to reassure his lord that it was true. "Yes, milord. Shall we buy these slaves from them? The additional workforce would be most helpful to our citizens."

"How much do they ask?"

"Instruction on Mysticism and 11 bags of gold, for one group of slaves." her voice sounding hopeful, Domea was trying mightily to conceal her eagerness.

"Very well. Farei, see to it." Sashie VII was still amazed by this latest news. That Mursilis was willing to enslave his own people and sell them to others for worldly wealth was surprising, even for a Hittite. He then looked around the council at his advisors. Before Domea, Milliad had reported the sighting of an Ainu warrior band near the southern jungles. He was, however, of the opinion that they posed no threat, as a good number of Mayan warriors were in the vicinity en route to Palenque.

"Calor, what news have you for us?" Sashie VII looked at his Cultural Advisor, who seemed more agitated than usual tonight.

"My lord, rumours have reached us of a great oracle in the Sumerian city of Ur. They say that the oracle was appointed by Gilgamesh as the Keeper of Temples, and their people has since then become increasingly more devout and content." Apparently unhappy with the news, Calor looked at her fellow advisors and was more disappointed to see that none shared her displeasure.

Sashie VII then turned to Farei, who sat to his left. Nodding to his lord, Farei said, "We have also heard that the Sumerians have a new faith, great lord. Their priests have proclaimed a multitude of different beings called gods that control the lives of men." Seeing that the faces around him were filled with curiosity, he continued, "We have no further knowledge of this new..thing, unfortunately."

"And what of the other nations, Farei? Have they also come to follow this new preaching?" asked Calor.

"No, so far it is only in Sumerian lands. However we do have another interesting bit of information." The last seemed to be directed towards Milliad. Milliad leaned forward, more interested now to hear more.

"Our diplomats who had recently returned from Zululand informed of several unusual observations, my lord. Among these were the sighting of Zulu riding horses." Pausing to look at the faces of Milliad and Cad, Farei then turned to look at his lord. "We believe they were being trained to fight from horseback."

It was quiet.

The Mayan envoy stood calmly, silently awaiting the answer. Around them the Moraien advisors looked at each other in disbelief and concern. It was a shockingly preposterous message.

Sashie VII, however, was not as surprised. Long has he foreseen this, and he knew that it was only a question of time. His dream was never forgotten, nor has he neglected the warning from the mysterious voice.

[To be continued..]

2. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

Well, if the Mayans declare war on you, I'd definitely take Palenque. Otherwise, just let it be. There are, I'm sure, many better places to found cities, and since you'll never have more than five, the AI's won't charge you so much for their luxuries.

3. Sashie VII

Regarding Palenque, I'm still very doubtful about having a city amidst all that jungle. That'll take a lot of worker turns, and for some time I'll effectively only have four cities. The benefits are pretty much long term, but I'm not sure they outweigh the short term benefits of not going into those jungles.

4. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

Good story. Anxiously waiting for more.

(subscription post)

5. Sashie VII

"Of course, we are happy to aid your nation in your religious pursuits. Moraie is ever generous to her friends."

The Mayans were dumbfounded, and glanced at each other. Their surprise mirrored that of the rest of those in attendance. They hastily make their exit after expressing their gratitude and appreciation, although they were somewhat unconvincing.

Sashie VII knew that the Mayans expected a defiant rebuke. And he knew what Smoke-Jaguar in mind. Much as he would like to give it to him, war was simply not what the people needed at the moment. Your time will come, but not yet.

Cad sipped at his wine.

Milliad was sitting across from him, gulping down another goblet of wine. "It's so frustrating, this business of giving into threats. And to Mursilis, at that! Why, he's so far away he'll never be a real threat to us. Not with all the soldiers we're training." complained Milliad.

"I'm sure Sashie knows what he's doing, Milliad. After all, there's a reason why he's the leader and not you or me." Farei tried to console Milliad, despite beginning to feel some amusement at his frustration.

"Well I don't like it. Not in any way." He downed another goblet, almost instantly.

"Not going to be the only thing that's not to your liking, I fear. I've word that more nations have begun training their soldiers to fight from horseback." Glancing to Cad, Farei added, "And some other things, as well."

"Oh? Such as what, Farei?"

"Most nations have this system of 'writing', nowadays. Their scribes use alphabets to record events instead of drawing sketches like Domea's scribes." said Farei.

Cad frowned, clearly displeased by this news. "Well at least we'll have better calculation methods soon. Or at least soon enough after I convince Sashie to increase the funding."

"Ah, which reminds me. That too, have been discovered by some."

Nonplussed, Cad took the wine decanter from Milliad and poured into his goblet. "Sashie should've given me more funding. Now we are backwards people. We cannot let this continue!"

Farei shrugged, and reached for some bread. Milliad, on the other hand, was too drunk to say a word and was already snoring.

The messenger ran across the hallway. His message was of the utmost importance, and he knew it. Almost knocking over a servant as he took a turn, he could only spare a word of apology before hurrying away. Finally reaching the council chamber, he burst through the door.

The council was about to retire, as the hour was late. Heads turned at the sudden intrusion.

"My lord.." Still trying to catch his breath, the messenger had to grip the door to keep himself from collapsing.

[To be continued..]

6. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

Too bad you lost your gold. But I guess you will take it back and more so later on :hammer:

I see the Mayans have taken the spices too. Where do you plan to expand next then? To the northwest? Or is your next city acquired by war, perhaps? :mischief:

7. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

You only have 3 cities!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm confused...by your writing, it sounds like you gave into both mayan and hittite demands, yet you point out in your picture that mayan soldiers approach your lands. Are you at war?

I've never done a 5CC, but...well, let's just say I don't want to try one soon: it looks to be too hard. Kudos to you, though, for going for one :goodjob:

edit: WORSE!!! AAAAA!! YOU ONLY HAVE 2 CITIES :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Sashie VII

Another one marked. Lord Sashie VII might someday name you First Seer of Moraie :mischief:

Actually, I only have two :p Moraien has had it's second border expansion, so it seemed like I had a third city to the Northwest.

I caved to both demands, yes. And Moraie is not at war with anyone at the moment. I should've wrote clearer on that, sorry.

Deity 5CC conquest was done a long time ago, actually. I'm sure a lot of people have won 5CCs since then ;)

9. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Looking good Sashie, better get those flanking Mayans destroyed.

10. Sashie VII

A brief overview on the situation:

I hope that will clear things up a bit. :)

Guess what my plan is? Oh, and note that there's only one area left to expand to (Northeast) :mischief:

Edit:

Moraiens are behind in technology. Writing and Horseback Riding have been passed around, and Mathematics are already known by at three civs (so much for minimal research). Apart from that, Writing has been discovered for quite some time, so I'm guessing that lead AIs are close to Map Making as well. So in this game, no philosophy free tech ;)

Sumeria are becoming increasingly powerful, with 7 cities. Hittites are close behind them, with 6 cities. Germany,Mongol and Maya have 4 each. For some reason Zulu only have 3 cities. I have not located any source of Ivory, and someone else will build Statue of Zeus.

Last turn the Mayan JT and Sword suddenly approach my borders. :eek:

Two cities, tech hole, surrounded on all sides by enemies. What could be more fun? :lol:

Edit again: And have anyone noticed how AIs seem to be working together on keeping me hemmed in? First Ta-Tu, followed by Yaxchilán stealing my spice and then Gil went out of his way to found Umma..:lol:

11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Take Ta-Tu, and set up a sort of blockade from the Mongols, not letting them get through to your lands?

12. Sashie VII

I have edited my previous post adding some information not on the map.

13. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

Were I you, I'd have had a settler up north to nab that plains square by the river in between two cows and a source of iron. :wow:

With the threat of war so close though, I don't think that's viable at the moment, though you might want to consider it in the future. If you can have only five cities, you'll need all the awesome sites you can get.

14. Sashie VII

I can't help it.

Spoiler :
    Just this one before the next chapter, alright?
    Spoiler :
    I probably shouldn't.. :nono:
    Spoiler :
    Oh well :)
    Spoiler :
    War is upon us!! :hide:

15. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

well, I think war was inevitable...of course!! War sooner than later would help you out!

16. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

*Subscription Post*
    Nice story, I'll be following this one.

17. Sashie VII

"What news?"

"The scouts report that Tartarians were slaughtered to the last man. The Moraien soldiers were better than we expected, master." said his advisor.

His master pondered this. So, Sashie VII has some soldiers in his service, thought Smoke-Jaguar. Without further intelligence on the Moraiens' military strength, continuing the march against them would be risky. Do I gamble? Finally making up his mind, he turned to his military advisor.

"Recall the soldiers. War with Moraie shall wait a little longer." said Smoke-Jaguar.

His counselors were mildly surprised. But they knew better than to question the orders, as the last man to do so had fed the master's pets.

The warriors were awed. They had never seen such a magnificent animal before. The Mongolian hunters were busy dressing the newly fallen animal, which they called elephants.

"What are you doing here?" challenged a Mongol soldier.

"We were just passing by, no harm intended." assured the Moraiens.

"As if you do much harm." snorted the Mongol. Looking around the plains, he then added, "Do you know the way out of our lands, or shall we send you out? In pieces, perhaps?"

"No need, we'll be moving now. Our apologies." The Moraiens moved away, although occasionally glancing back towards the elephant carcass.

Traa entered the hall. The rest of the council was there. Lord Sashie VII seemed more quiet than usual, and by the hushed whispers among the others she could tell that none knew why they were here. She came to stand between Calor and Cad, and quietly waited.

After several moments, the main door opened and the Sumerian envoys entered. Their appearance were surprising, as it was thought that they had left the city two days ago. Glancing around at her peers, she saw that others were as confused as she was, save perhaps Milliad who looked grim.
    "Lord Sashie VII, we have come as you requested. May we inquire the reason for this?" said one of the envoys.

Sashie VII looked towards Milliad, and nodded. Milliad then stepped to the fore and addressed the envoys.

"We have bore your insults to our dignity for too long. As of this moment, our nation shall no longer tolerate peace with Sumeria until you have sufficiently atone for your misdeeds against us." declared Milliad.

The envoys were speechless. Bowing, they hurried away, as they knew that diplomatic immunity could only preserve them so far. The advisors were shocked, and whispers immediately buzzed in the hall. Traa said nothing as Cad whispered to her, "We're the only ones who have yet to learn how to write and now we're at war?" Shaking his head, Cad looked positively unhappy.

18. Sashie VII

"Curse his black soul! Mursilis has no lack of gall!" fumed Milliad.

Around him everyone was quiet. That the Hittites would join the war was unexpected. And so soon after the declaration of war against Sumeria! The council could scarcely believe it when the Hittite diplomats presented the formal announcement of alliance with their "friends".

Drumming his fingers, Sashie VII gathered his thoughts. He knew that none of the foreign nations could be trusted. This latest development had only served to enforce the warning of his dream. There is nothing to he can do now but wait.

The arrows sped overhead, and rained death on the defenders. Some of the enemy returned fire, and but few hit their targets. Ganh looked around as he let fly another arrow and saw that the enemy warriors are approaching. Signalling to the first company, he said, "First and Second Companies, swords!"

Instantly the men at the front dropped their bows and drew swords. Quickly taking a deep breath, Ganh firmed his sword grip. "Charge!"

As fierce as the Moraiens' were, the Sumerians were determined fighters. They fought bravely despite the overwhlming number of attackers. But Moraien courage was too much for the Sumerians in the end. The town of Umma was razed to the ground, it's citizens enslaved and sent back to the south.

Sashie VII took one last glance at the full moon from the window before turning back towards the messenger from Ganh.

"No companies were lost, my lord. Two have proven their prowess and gained elite status." reported the messenger.

Sashie VII nodded and the man was dismissed. News of the stunning victory at Umma had reached the city swiftly, and the Porta chieftain had been sent with his clansmen to found their city next to the ruins. There was great cheer in the palace that night, but Sashie knew better. The war was not over yet.

Then the door to his right opened, and Farei entered. "My lord, Mayan envoys have reached our city and requested an immediate audience. They claim to bear an urgent message from their master."

Wondering what it might be, Sashie VII consented and made for the audience hall.

Sashie VII had barely sat when the main door opened and the Mayans entered. Their expressions cold, they seemed to be in great haste. The advisors were quiet as the Mayans gave a brief perfunctory bow, as requesting an audience at such a late hour would mean a matter of great urgency.

Without waiting for other formalities, one of the Mayans took one little step forward and delivered his message:

19. Sashie VII

That was only two turns.

After I declared war on Sumeria, they signed Hittites against me on the IBT. Fine, I can handle that.

Next turn, I raze Umma. On the IBT, Hittites sign Maya! Oh crap.

I was :gripe: when that pop-up came up :gripe:

At least, you guys will get a more interesting story.

Here's something to illustrate the :gripe: part:

20. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

:eek: :eek: Goodness!!! You are in a REAL mess right now!!! Um...good luck, I guess!!