1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of Moraie

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Sashie VII, Apr 24, 2007.

1. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

With six archers (and presumably more being built), I don't think you'll have too much trouble defending yourself. Offense might be a problem though.

2. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

The thing that really irks me is that these alliances are going to make me pay for peace, unless I manage to hurt them. AIs really screwed my simple plan of pointy stick.

On Archers, I stopped producing them after the six. I've been spending shields on something else.

Maya have Swords and JT. If they show up immediately, I'll have some problems. Mayan capital just next to Val-Igsthea, and that's only defended by two regular warriors. Should three or four swords appear near VI immediately after this, I need RNG on my side since my iron has yet to be connected. But that's an if anyway.

What made me :gripe: is that I don't like to be picked on. I don't think this is a major hurdle, but I am angry. Smoke-Jaguar's going to regret signing that alliance.

And yeah, time for some Moraien :hammer:

3. MDMUFF

MDMUFF Chieftain

Keep up the good fight, great story thus far

4. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

If you can manage to kill a lot of their units without losing many of your own, it is quite likely that the AI will pay you for peace, even if you have yet to set foot on their soil.

And whattya mean, your spending sheilds on something else?! In wartime, every city should be building units!

5. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

Looks like you have to do something drastically to get out of this! Do you have the money and/or techs to buy the Mongols and Germans to your side?

How many turns will it take before the Sumerians will talk about peace? Perhaps they will give up for a low cost since you razed Umma?

Good luck in the wars! :ar15:

6. Sashie VII

I have no tech that anyone else doesn't have. Heh, everyone else is more advanced than I am :crazyeye:

I cannot spare any cash for alliances and such at the moment. Furthermore, signing one would bind me into a 20-turn war or until my ally declares peace, which would not be good for my fledgling empire.

7. Sashie VII

Sashie VII was alone by the river. Staring into the moonlit water, his thoughts were on the war.

Immediately after the declaration of the Mayan-Hittite alliance, orders were sent with haste to the northern archers under Ganh's command. Two companies were to return to the south at once, as the borders there were ill-defended. All soldiers that could be spared from Moraien were also sent to Val-Igsthea, leaving only a regular company of warriors to keep order in Moraien. It was hoped that the soldiers would be sufficient to hold the Mayan assault, should they come before a stronger force could be assembled. Sashie VII only needed four more seasons for his smiths to perfect their craft and forge swords of good quality. Then Moraien warriors could be reequipped with better weaponry, and improve their fighting ability.

Then three seasons passed, and the Mayans have not mounted an attack. The only force seen thus far was some Javelin Throwers fortifying the mountainside near Palenque.

Beginning to feel hopeful, his advisors urged him to strike Yaxchilan with several companies of archers. Yet Sashie VII thought otherwise. A failed attack against Yaxchilan would be costly, when the nation have few soldiers to begin with. Furthermore, Sumerians or Hittites could arrive at Port Moraien's borders any time. No, launching an assault anytime soon would not be wise. We must secure our lands first, thought Sashie VII. His smiths would have the necessary iron ores for swords this season, and then Moraie will be secure.

Deciding to turn in a bit earlier tonight, Sashie VII got up and left. He had barely entered the palace when Traa called to him from the end of the corridor.
    "My lord! Messengers have arrived from the north and south!"

Entering the council chamber, Sashie VII saw that everyone was already there. Two soldiers, covered with road dust stood near the door. Taking his seat, he looked at Milliad.

"What news from the front?" asked Sashie VII.

Nodding, Milliad turned to the two messengers, indicating that they should report. The man on the left spoke first.

"Hittite soldiers approach, lord. They are seen by our scouts on the mountainside near Ta-Tu." reported the soldier.

"The Mayans have sent two companies of Javelin Throwers against Val-Igsthea, milord."

[To be continued]

8. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Looks like you got some trouble coming, better brace yourself.

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Wow, that's some bad luck with the alliances. Those forest tiles by Port Moraien could be problematic. At least Val-Igsthea seems to have adequate troops for now.

Good luck with the defence.

10. Sashie VII

Sure, 1 reg and four vet warriors :D

I'm still wondering where the Mayan swords are. I've seen them before, so Smoke-Jaguar surely have a few at least.

EDIT: Not that I mind their absence, though.

11. Sashie VII

The council listened to the report.

Earlier, the Carthaginians have been met. During the short meeting, it was discerned that their soldiers can fight from horseback, but apart from that, their technological standing was similar to the Moraiens'. No exchanges was made with them.

Now a messenger was finishing his long report of the observations made as the Hittites approached from the north. Surprisingly, the Hitites were still at war with the Mongols. Ganh's scouts had watched as the Hittites assaulted the Mongolian town of Ta-Tu. While the defenses of Ta-Tu had held, the Hittites have sent more troops to reinforce the seige.

Sashie VII felt hopeful at this news. Since they were still fighting, it would mean that a lot of Hittite soldiers have been spent against the Mongols. Therefore, Mursilis could spare fewer troops for attacking Moraie, given Ta-Tu's location. This season, a line of supply for iron from Nori Hill have been completed, so his soldiers can now have access to better weapons.

"Traa?" asked Sashie VII.

Traa knew what her lord was referring to. Glancing down to her notes, she answered, "Refitting a company of warriors with swords and other equipment would cost us 60 gold bags, my lord."

Turning to Domea, Sashie VII didn't have to ask the question.

"We have 386 bags of gold in the treasury, lord."

"Fit out our best warriors with swords, and give them some training to get used to their new blades. " said Sashie VII to Domea and Milliad. Unable to resist an urge to smile, he thought, now the battle will truly be joined.

The Val chieftain turned away from the bodies of the fallen. He cursed the luck that had lost him two companies of swordsmen, who have been slain by a single company of Javelin Throwers on open grasslands. Apart from that disaster, the Mayan attackers had been successfully defeated.

Exiting the tent, he walked to the barracks. The two auxiliary archer companies have been sent back northwards, as the situation at Val-Igsthea was now under control. He was loath to reduce the number of his men, but it was necessary. Besides, he needed to send word to the chieftains of Porta and Darr of his approval. Sashie VII has gone too far, he thought.

"Ta-Tu has been razed?"

"Yes, milord. The smoke of the fire could be seen from Port Moraien's countryside." said the runner. He had been sent to inform the lord of the news, The long seige or Ta-Tu has finally ended, Hittite soldiers victorious.

Sashie VII got up and paced a little. "What of the Hittite forces? Are they marching to Moraie now?"

"No, milord. Most have retreated, along with a group of Mongol slaves. Only two companies of spearman march to our lands, and they are moving separately."

Turning his head at this, Sashie VII's mind raced. What shall I do? After several more minutes of consideration, he stopped his pacing and came to a decision. Looking at the messenger, he said, "Take my instructions to Ganh after you have rested. He is to.."

It was dawn.

Ganh shook his head. Still wondering at Sashie VII's audacity, he surveyed his men at the camp. His messenger had returned a few days ago, with word on how Val-Igsthea was faring. The Mayans have launched another assault on the city, but the defenders had managed to destroy the invaders with no companies lost.

As the last Hittite within Moraien borders have also been slain, there were no more immediate threats to Moraie for the moment.

Yet Ganh still could scarcely believe Sashie VII's orders when he first heard it. Having had several days to contemplate them, he knew that his boyhood friend was taking a risk. By the stars he's bold, thought Ganh. Signalling to his second-in-command, he walked towards his own tent. Behind him, his deputy could be heard giving out orders to the men. It's time to begin the march to Tyrana.

12. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

It looks like things are going very well! Lets hope the Hittites continue their war against Mongolia, so you don't have to face so many troops.

Do you have any settlers in backup, so you can fund a new city on the ruins of Ta-Tu? Or is that location to poor for a new city?

13. Sashie VII

Apart from that silly JT killing two of my new swords in defense on open grasslands, things are under control.

On city locations, at first I wanted Ta-Tu. The location seems fine with flood plains and hills (and gold) with a river. However after running some calculations and long-term considerations, I decided to put my next city near the cattles. It's still a river site, and should have more maximum shield output at size 12 than Ta-Tu's location (before corruption). I don't think the extra distance would mean much in terms of corruption, as I'll only have five cities the whole game.

On settlers, I'll get one out of Val-Igsthea soon. I'm timing it for VI's growth to size 9 so that it will only shrink to size 7 (still with 10spt; very important).

I'm having a problems deciding on my last city. The spice look very good now, but in the long run will have limited shield capacity. I'm confident that it can make 10spt without much work, and it has two sugars plus some forests for chopping as well. On the other hand, the silks would give me extra income, a river site, and a chance for BGs under the jungle. If I do settle in the jungles, it would be inland as I would like to avoid settling on the silks. However clearing the jungles will take a lot of time, and the fifth city will take some effort before it gets really productive.

14. Sashie VII

They saw the settlement.

It has been several months since they escaped the fate of their other companions. A barbarian raiding party, mounted on horseback, jumped their company just outside Zulu borders. Only the fact that they were relieving themselves a little farther from their camp saved their lives. The fight was not long, and by the time they got closer to the battle the last of their comrade had died.

Since there was nothing to be gained from dying, they had decided to try to return to Moraie. After the long and perilous journey home, they had finally reached this place. Moving closer to the settlement, they saw Moraien faces here and there. It seemed like a fishing village by the sea, but here and there they could see busy workmen constructing additional buildings and improvements. Looking at each other, the two battered men shared on thought; Things have changed.

Sashie VII listened with interest.

The man stood in front of him, having recently returned from the mountainside battle outside of Port Moraien. According to Ganh's message, and the man's story, apparently Ganh had made a risky assault on a company of Hittite archers guarding a pass there. This man, called K'uang-yin, had shown extraordinary courage in the battle, saving some of his fellow soldiers' lives with a lone heroic charge against Hittite soldiers. It had rallied the rest of his company, and that resulted in a victory over the Hittites.

Realizing that such a man would be an invaluable in leading men into combat, Sashie VII ordered for quarters to be prepared for the man. He would then return to Port Moraien at first light tomoroow to begin drafting a plan for a special project that Sashie VII had in mind; an elite force of fighters, tough and deadly in combat. But we shall need another city to form such a force, thought Sashie VII. It is time that the Gor chieftain lead his clan to found another city.

"They are approaching from this direction, but there's another company trying to skirt our south western perimeter."

Grunting at the report, the Val chieftain again reviewed the disposition of his soldiers. He have enough to defend against this latest Mayan attempt to take Val-Igsthea, but he also knew that the fates are cruel at times. Let us hope that the fates spare us this time, thought the old chieftain. He looked up at his nephew and said, "Take four companies and start the march. Should this plan of Sashie VII doesn't work, then the blame is his."

Frowning slightly at the remark, his nephew nodded slightly before leaving. The chief then turned towards his aides and gave out orders to ready the soldiers. Their biggest advantage lies in knowing the land, and the Mayans would never take his city attacking as they were.

Ganh cursed again.

The assault on Tyrana was successful beyond expectations, and a group enslaved Mongols were liberated. No companies were lost, and he knew it was a wonderful victory. But it was not enough to cheer him. The last company to move into the ruins of Tyrana had stayed there to bury the dead, and would rejoin the main host after. However, his observers now report the presence of two Hittite companies in position to strike his men there. Battered and worn after the assault, the company was in no condition to defend themselves.

He had sent K'uang-yin's company, as it was known nowadays, to help hold the Hittites at bay until the others could make good their escape. But he would not risk his whole command, and if fate chooses to take the two companies from him, there was nothing more he could do.

15. Sashie VII

Even razing Tyrana wan't enough for Mursilis to agree on a straight peace. I'm very reluctant to pay anything for peace right now since neither Mursilis nor Gilgamesh have done any damage so far, not even a single unit lost. That and my pride :rolleyes:

If the RNG is kind, Yaxchilán should fall quickly. Then, it's time for Chichén Itza. I'll let Palenque survive until I have a settler ready to claim a site nearby it. The current plan is to keep the north stable until I can get free peace, while beating the Mayans back into OCC. Oh, and take away their iron too. :)

War with Carthage will come in the future. What I'm concerned with now is whether their Numidian Mercenaries enough reason for me to start building some cats instead of focusing 100% on horsemen when I get HBR. Ideas? :(

16. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I've just read all the 4 pages, and its looking very good. Are you going to destroy the Hittites or Maya completely? or Btw, do you like the original civ 3 graphics better than the modified ones?

17. Sashie VII

I'm going to leave Maya with one town, unless he suddenly shows up with 30+ Swords and chew me up :lol: He's up several techs, so I need to get him to surrender those techs when we sign peace.

Destroying Hittites is beyond my abilities at the moment, so I'm just gambling with the 6 archers to try to hurt him enough for him to agree for straight-up peace treaty. Razing Tyrana only got him to "close ot deal" :sad:

I love Ares de Borg's terrain graphics, but I didn't have time to switch to it when I started the story :(

18. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Ok. So far it's looking great. :thumbsup:

19. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

Shoot, I've lost track of where everyone is...can you post another big picture, and on it put some of your mid-term plans. That would be great.
    Concerning the Carthaginians: Unless they begin to get too strong (ie, many many techs above you) I wouldn't worry about them for "troop practice." Get them later when they don't have that huge 3 defender. (but that's just my 2c.)

20. Sashie VII

Here you go:

K'uang-yin is still in Port Moraien, so any elite victories are wasted at the moment :( I don't have anything worthwhile to rush with it either.

I'll edit this post for further commentaries relevant to this map from time to time.