1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of Moraie

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Sashie VII, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

Didn't you plan to use K'uang-yin as an army-leader? (By the way, are you playing vanilla, so you can use him to rush wonders?)

The proposed city site looks really good. Lets hope nobody else gets it before you!

2. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Yes, I'm planning to use him for an army. But with the number of Elite swords I have at the moment, I'm beginning to wonder at the wisdom of keeping him. This game is in C3C, so no wonders. :)

I hope so too. Thanks for psweetman1590 for first suggesting the spot :goodjob:

3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Great so far. I'm just having trouble keeping track of which advisor is which...could you post a list of each advisor's name? Thanks.

As to Carthage - Numidian Mercenaries would be too strong for Horsemen IMO. Swordsmen with catapults would seem the best bet if you really want to fight them. But they'll get a Golden Age when their Numidian Mercenaries win, so I wouldn't recommend just plunging into a war with them.

4. Sashie VII

Advisors:

Domestic= Domea
    Trade= Traa
    Military= Milliad
    Cultural= Calor
    Foreign= Farei
    Science= Cad

Ganh: Boyhood friend of Sashie VII, currently leading Moraien soldiers against Hittites in the north.

Also. I have fixed some major mistakes in several chapters. Apologies for the confusion :blush:

You guys have good points, perhaps I should wait until I have better attackers before striking Hannibal. And he'll have time to road his territory,so later on when I attack and start razing I won't have to spend workers on creating a road network. Thanks for the advices.

5. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I thought the Dutch UU is Numidian Mercenary. :confused:

6. Sashie VII

The Dutch UU is the Swiss Mercenary :)

I've played some more turns in last two hours (in between chess puzzles and stuff), write-up will follow soon (hopefully).

7. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Good news.

8. Sashie VII

Apologies, but RL is keeping me from writing further chapters at the moment. I would not be able to update the story until Sunday (my local time), at the earliest.

Sorry again.

9. BuckyRea

BuckyRea Boldly Going

You might need to hurry up and nail down those incense deposits with a settler, too. With your continent so crowded, I'm surprise no one's grabbed them yet. And really, what good is Ceremonial Burial without incense to please the underworld deities?

10. Sashie VII

It was unbelievable. But it happened, and Ganh was thankful. He couldn't for the life of him understand why the Hittites didn't attack the exposed archers, as they would've easily won. Perhaps it has something to do with the Mongol folks we sent south, he thought. Or maybe they were under strict orders to link up with the Sumerians immediately?

Whatever the reason, the only thing that mattered to him now is that none of his companies were lost and the morale among his troops was high. His orders were to leave hostile forces in the open to the defenders within Moraien borders, and he will do exactly that. After some rest, his command will march to the next Hittite settlement. Ganh idly wondered how long his battle luck will last.

“Yaxchilán had fallen, lord. Our soldiers have razed it to the ground.” reported the latest messenger from the south, bearing a message from that front.

Sashie VII nodded, but said nothing. He waited for the messenger to continue, and the man knew what his lord was expecting.

“No companies were lost, m’lord. It was another stunning victory. But before our forces arrived outside the town and lay siege to it, some Mayans escaped and went northwards. We presumed that they are going to found another settlement.”

“What did your commander do about this?”

“Two reserve companies who didn’t fight in the Yaxchilán assault were dispatched after the victory to chase them. lord."

Satisfied with the report, Sashie VII said, “Good. Go grab a bite and then rest for the night. Tomorrow you will return to Val-Igsthea with new orders for the chieftain.”

The man left, and Sashie VII was now alone with his thoughts. Yesterday word came that the two Sumerian archer companies have been destroyed outside Port Moraien without losses as well. Things are going too well for us. While good fortune was nothing to complain about, he wondered if fate has some surprises for him yet.

11. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

I'm surprised that the AI isn't giving you a tougher run for your money. They declared war on you, did they not? :p

12. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

Yeah, things are going surprisingly good. Lets hope it continues this way! :D

Perhaps the Mayan settler is on his way to the nice city-location (although it looks like he's aiming for the oasis)?

13. Sashie VII

Easier than I anticipated, which is a bit disappointing. But I'm not complaining :D Besides, knowing RNG I'll probably have dark times ahead soon enough.

Wherever that settler settles, my swords will raze it. My sword pair on their heels are both elites, btw. Makes me really doubt the decision to save K'uang-Yin. Perhaps rush a granary in Moraien? Getting to 15spt would really rock.

Hittites are gassed by the Mongol war, I presume. Took them a long time to raze Ta-Tu :lol: As for the Mayans, they're in their Golden Age so I'm still wondering about their lack of effort. Sumerians I really don't know, since I don't have embassies.

EDIT: And so I don't change my mind, I already have an idea for another crazy variant game. It's been done before, but I want to do it myself to know for sure that I've beaten Emperor. It's the hardest I could think of.

14. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

Couldn't you create a army leader out of him (with or without putting any units into the army) so you can recieve new leaders from battles?

Rushing a granary with a leader sounds a bit strange to me, but then again I have never tried a 5CC on Emperor. :)

15. Sashie VII

Thing is, I only have three cities atm :lol: Fourth city should be founded in a few turns, but I'll have some more elite battles..maybe I should just wait. You can only have one army at a time with strict 5CC :) So beyond a certain point, more military great leaders aren't really useful, except for rushing stuff.

16. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

:eek: An update, things are going very well.

17. Lapoleon

Lapoleon Chieftain

It seems all is going well, but wouldn't one tile SE of your current plan be a better spot, you'd have access to incense with your second culture expansion.

18. Stratagist IV

Stratagist IV Ex virtute honos

YAY!! :bounce: finally a game that has a good ancient wars. Currently I am grounded from videogames (dang parents) :mad: and I very much enjoy watching other's games. Keep the updates coming and may your victories be many :assimilate:

19. Sashie VII

I once grounded myself from Civ for a whole 10 months for studying reasons. ;)

Spoiler :
    Well, I did have MTW at the time so it didn't hurt too much..

Thanks for the replies. Rest assured that your advices are taken into consideration in shaping the future of the Moraiens!

Anyways I'm leaving in four hours, so I won't be updating for at least a week and a half. Possibly two weeks, on the outside. But I've already played the next chapter! :D

20. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Great story so far! I like the characters, and their personalities.

Now, if you can only have one army at a time, consider that a sword army
    is useful in the short term. A knight army would also be useful, in a few
    hundred years. If you get another MGL, then you could save him
    and let your sword army die gloriously in battle ... followed by the formation
    of a new army, to be filled with the latest-n-greatest offensive unit?