The Rite of Patricide

Niles Caulder

Chieftain
Nearly a decade since my graduation of high school had passed, and in those years my dad reigned supreme at his favorite games, the Civilization franchise (at that point up to II.)

But on that day the world started anew, and I, the collective unconscious of the Babylonian body-politic was born in 4000 B.C. Somewhere in the world was also born my counterpart known as the "Texans." I figured I would try to pass the countless hours ahead of me amiably and learn the most I could from my probable defeat by these notoriously industrious people.

I got off to a remarkably good start--a fair distance from any neighbors gave me some room to expand peacably. I encountered armies of the cordial Chinese in my exploration West over those early centuries. Turns out they were disciplinedly cordial for a reasion...they were at war with guess-who?

It went badly for the Texans...and they were wittled to one or two cities by the time they sued for peace. As I came upon their crumbling little empire, my dad gave a convincing "Uh oh" from across the room learning it was me--expecting me to devour him before the Common Age...

Well what fun would that be? Then I'd just have him bored to tears while I finished a game that wasn't really my favorite anyway. So a peculiar act of grace (in Civ II game theory) took place, and an alliance to last the millenia was born.

Keeping a peaceful border between us kept his Southern flank secure and we both turned our teeth upon the Chinese, driving them and then the orange guys (forget who exactly) off the planet. By this time, our two playing styles were in full gear: he the domineering Americanesque Battle-of-the-Bulge warmonger, and me the Eutopian spire of learning and enlightenment. He took the fight of dominance to the Continent abroad--wiping out the Civilizations of the opposing hemisphere while I introverted and got in gear for the competition that really mattered....

You see, the Spirit of the Babylonians knew he wasn't the military strategist his old man was. So while we might could have peacably ran out the clock to his Rank victory, it wasn't going to happen without at least a launch towards Alpha Centauri. And while he was spending time and resources on finishing off the AIs...I was lengthening my lead in Scientific advancement so that he couldn't catch up in time to even have a Space Race! By the time he realized it, it was too late. I had launched my way to an attempt to win!

So running out the clock didn't happen! Back in Civ II you didn't win until the thing landed--years after it launched assuming it didn't get lost in Space! So after I launched the ship...I was invaded by my northerly neighbor and ally for countless centuries...the wartorn little Texans I had spared from times immemorable. They were disoriented and completely unprepared for the impromptu invasion intending to wipe me out before my ship landed light-years away. Still, it was a formidable force and typically overwhelming. I was no pushover--didn't leave myself unprotected or outmoded...but I hadn't translated my scientific superiority into military applications to a great degree. Our units were pretty equivelent, and eventually he managed enough forces into my borders to start driving the stake into my heart. There were times in those years I wondered if I would hold out.

But I did. The Babylonians colonized a new planet...and my Dad got a stinging reminder that Civ wasn't "Risk." I got this story, and some damn fun hours. I got to strategically collaborate (instead of compete) with my dad for most of that time. Oh yeah...and I won a (moderately difficult) game of Civ!

...and I started to get hooked. Bought III the day it came out!

Heh... Beat your dad in MP, eh? And by spaceship, no less, when he was the most powerful guy on the board.

I like a good story with a sudden twist near the end :)

Top Bottom