1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The road to Moscow - A French Hearts of Iron II AAR

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Dell19, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Good stuff. :D

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Definitely need to push further into the Baltic States to balance the line. It's probably too late in
    the year for another big encirclement, but perhaps a small one in Lituania can be achieved.

3. sheep21

sheep21 Prince

maybe a tactical withdrawl to a shorter more defendable frontline for the winter season?

4. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

Enemy at the Gates would make an incredibly interesting movie if the Germans were replaced with French....

So I take it that the lack of Bitter Peace means you'll be forced to march to Vladivostok?

5. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Enemy at the Gates does not make for an interesting movie.

6. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Yep thats definately an objective to start pushing the Soviets back in the north as well since at the moment we have a rather large border.

Possibly although at the moment the Soviet troops are pretty much all guarding the route to Moscow so I'm tempted to keep on advancing and then let the divisions still in the Ukraine fill in the gaps. As far as I can tell there is only one Soviet division guarding the Caucasus

Why? I'm hoping that we will be able to conquer Stalingrad rather quickly.

Yep we will have to conquer it all. We could sail or one of our Allies might help.

Never watched it but have been tempted.

7. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

Its a good film, I'd say its in my top 20

8. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Guys, coming from the actual place where war took place (Soviet Union), I can only say that the movie is crap as far as history is concerned. It is even close to insulting towards veterans of that war. I can only speak for myself though.

9. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

I don't see how it counts as insulting to the veterans, it paints the Commisars in a negative light but really anyone who shoots people for retreating tends to run the risk of being disliked

10. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I do not wish to hijack the thread. If you are interested start with wikipedia, section about criticism. There's another review I fully agree with. Here. I strongly recommend it. As I said, for me, many Russians and Soviet veterans this movie is a mockery. However, lets get back to AAR ;)

@Dell, you remember I asked you for a Russian protectorate.... do you think it is going to happen? :)

EDIT:
    If you guys want a good movie about that war I think you should watch:
    Only 'Old Men' Are Going to Battle (English subbed)
    They Fought for Motherland
    Both are mentioned in review by Valery Potapov. I could search for some more if there's real interest.

11. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I have read Stalingrad and a basic review of the film so I know its not going to be accurate but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad film. Might read the reviews you have posted tomorrow when I am a bit more awake.

On the main question I think its pretty much guarenteed that we will be creating a few more puppet states from the Soviet Union as it doesn't look like we will be able to cope with the TC cost.

12. Serutan

There's really no reason not to create puppets; we can get more resources from those provinces that way, and build the additional IC to use them at home. Not to mention the number of garrisons we won't have to build...

13. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

There is one slightly childish reason which is that its nicer to have a universally pale blue map rather than lots of different colours. :)

14. MajorGeneral2

MajorGeneral2 Just happy to be here

You think so? In my current game as Germany, I feel that having a nice green Ukraine makes for an attractive, colourful contrast with the states around it. Then again, the French blue is a nicer colour to begin with than that dull German grey.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with a tactical withdrawal as long as the front line is still defensible. No reason to fight for the same territory twice if you can help it. I will second Serutan's suggestion about trying a small encirclement in Lithuania, though.

15. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I think their reserves, if they have any, are few and far between and perhaps even nonexistent :)

If you can, try to encircle the entire Baltic States region. :D

16. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

how is the French manpower situation?

Getting into a slogging match with the Soviet Union ends poorly if you're low on men and withdrawing could actually be the best move

17. Serutan

True, but at the moment we have a significant numerical superiority + winter is not far off (we can recharge manpower then), so I think a withdrawal is unnecessary.

18. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I'm looking forward to your impressions!

19. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

We will probably release Ukraine at some point. Just waiting to push back the Soviets back a bit further first.

Very large encirclements feel a bit like an exploit as I've found that the AI doesn't respond sensibly to them. So for example once encircled they will attack a province which won't help to break the encirclement. Plus the Soviets have around 130 divisions left whilst we have 260 on our own so arguably we no longer need to trap the enemy and instead speed is the more important factor.

Our manpower is at 159. At the end of the Polish campaign it reached a low of 114 whilst the winter break allowed it to increase to around 190 so the 1945 campaign has seen a comparatively low number of casualties. So even a mini winter break to miss the worst of the weather would probably be enough to keep our manpower positive. There is a massive temptation to fight through the winter to keep the Soviets on the back foot and not allow them to redeploy troops to the Stalingrad front.

The second article does put me off from watching it considering that I don't like a few other films because of the inaccuracies. Might watch it if its ever on TV.

20. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I can't say I am disappointed :) I watched it once and only for fun. I do recommend the two links I gave as a good Russian war movie. I got a few modern war ones, but most of them are average rubbish.

I'm glad to hear about puppets. You got one Vlasov volonteer in here :mischief: