The road to Moscow - A French Hearts of Iron II AAR

The troops in Greece are nicely deployed, they can react to any threat on the borders.

Could you show us some pics of Japan and the eastern front?

I accidentally wiped over the latest save so I'll have to replay the last month from an older save. Fortunately it wasn't a longer period. I did check the Indian front and there has been a major build up of troops with the USA, UK and Indian allies having something like 100 divisions on the border.

I accidentally wiped over the latest save so I'll have to replay the last month from an older save. Fortunately it wasn't a longer period. I did check the Indian front and there has been a major build up of troops with the USA, UK and Indian allies having something like 100 divisions on the border.

.... And then there was an AI .....

Why won't they pump it in Europe where we need it.

Ironically I had forgotten that I had also overwritten my game as the USA with the French game so when I overwrote the France save I didn't lose this one. So here is a screenshot:

As you can see my memory was very inaccurate although intelligence does indicate that Japan have a lot more troops on the front. The next update will probably be on Monday.

Couldn't you just produce loads of SP Artillary/Tank Destroyers for your infantry instead of producing tanks? It won't be as powerful or as fast as having armoured divisions but, won't they be enough to get the job done? :confused:

The whole point of having tanks is to have an armoured, well, tank, that can move faster and surround the enemy.

Yep although currently we probably don't have enough tanks to break through the second line as the front is pretty congested.

After the successful liberation of Amsterdam in the north there were growing calls for a victory in the south to reclaim Yugoslavian territory and potentially combine the Italian and Greek fronts into one once again. By the 4th of September a number of Axis divisions had moved north leaving only 13 divisions in Bjelovar and 6 in Banja Luka so it was felt that the time was right for an offensive.

At 3am the attack began with 8 French tank divisions leading the attack on Bjelovar with infantry support with most units beginning the offensive from Maribor and 5 additional divisions providing support from Zagreb. To aid the attack a secondary offensive was also launched from Zagreb against the lightly defended region of Banja Luka with support coming from the divisions in Rijeka. The short term aim of the attack was to regain the two provinces and if progress went well then a second attack would be launched to try and reach Belgrade and re unite the Italian and Greek fronts.

16 hours later and the German army in Bjelovar had been defeated whilst the attack on Banja Luka would reach a successful conclusion at 2am the next day. Our forces in Bjelovar arrived at the same time on the 7th and would successfully defeat the German counter attack whilst in Banja a tank and cavalry division were initially forced to retreat after capturing the province.

The major German counter attack was launched soon after the capture of Bjelovar with their forces targeting the weakened defences in Maribor. Diversion attacks were launched against Gyor and Graz to aid the defence whilst a number of reinforcement divisions coming from Venice and Zagreb would ensure that Maribor was held. For the next 8 days repeated German attacks were launched against our armies in Bjelovar however never with any significant numbers of troops to have a real chance of success.

At this point the plan was to allow the units to regain organisation for a potential further assault aimed towards Belgrade and the possible encirclement of a number of enemy divisions.

That plan now seems unlikely as the UK forces have been forced to retreat further. Perhaps tie would be on our side and we could hold onto Nis for an offensive on Belgrade however once the Soviet troops reach Craiova they are likely to launch an attack against the province. In addition its once again raised the issue that it would not be too clever to end up having the Italian front bordering the Soviets as for the time being their manpower advantage appears to be unstoppable.

If the expected does happen then our hope is to hold a defensive line on the three Greek border provinces as Ioannina and Salonika both have land forts.

As a minor edit I did continue for an extra 5 days and launched a successful attack on Split to capture it's two factories, port and airport as it seemed a no brainer. Plus the province is also a Yugoslavian victory point so we now have 3 secured on the Italian front.

One option that is probably worth considering would be to release Italy as a puppet. They would then join the war on our side and we should be able to take control of their military. They would be able to produce more than keeping the provinces under our control although the AI would be choosing what to build and we may have issues with reinforcing any new Italian divisions. Thoughts?

more men are more men, just make sure they are firmly in the allied camp.

I heartily agree, we could really use the men.

Dark things are occuring in Greece, blasted soviets, is a white peace possible with them?

Yeah it is probably for the best to release them, nice going on the southern front!

I'm about 75% towards having semi modern infantry so I might wait till then to release Italy as I assume that they get my tech level rather than waiting for them to research it separately.

Releasing Italy won't move all of your troops in the country back to your capital will it?

Nope. I believe it may take a couple of days to reorganise the supply lines but no disastrous redeployments would occur.

You can always make a backup save file in case of things goes wrong.

... that was really bad English on my behalf.

For the remainder of September no further attacks were planned and in all likelihood no major offensive was going to begin until next spring with winter approaching quickly. With that in mind a review of our allies technology was conducted which resulted in us buying blue prints for advanced tactical bombers off the UK. It’s a tech that we are already researching and now it should finish quicker. Our spies in Germany indicate that they are also trying to improve their air force and might one day have jet fighters although the idea sounded like it would never work in practice.

Additionally an audit of our supply limit was carried out and it was decided that we already operating over capacity so we would focus our production away from infantry production completely. Another tank division was completed in early March and reached Maribor just in time for a German offensive against Bjelovar.

Counter attacks were ordered against the German attack forces in Gyor and Zenica to help aid the defence of Bjelovar and this tactic would pay off with the German attack thwarted whilst our two pronged attack against Zenica proved successful and our troops were able to capture the region, with Sarajevo their next target.

The French commanders were contemplating this latest success when a simple message would turn the war upside down. At first there were concerns that there had been a major German break through, possibly in Belgium but then the news became clear...

Once the news became clear a number of people broke out in celebration as finally the German forces would have to fight a two front war and this would be our opportunity to finally defeat them in the west. Others remained silent and the mood began to subside as intelligence reports began to trickle in. Simply put our spies indicate that the bulk of the German army is in the west with only a small guard watching the eastern border whilst the Soviet forces are worryingly strong.

The early conclusion was that all the gains were going to be made on the eastern front which raised the gloomy prospect of the majority of Germany falling under Soviet control whilst our border in the west could well remain largely static. It seems unlikely that Germany will be able to successfully fight a two front war so we will need to plan our own offensive to avoid the prospect of a red Germany and possibly a red Europe.

Still there are some positives. Finland have joined the axis which does put them at war with the allies however more importantly they are at war with the Soviets. Even though we are now at war, there was a general understanding that Finland had joined the axis to fight the Soviets rather than to fight the allies. Whether Finland will be able to survive a second winter war is perhaps unlikely however it is a distraction for the Soviet armies and may give the German troops enough time to reorganise and slow the Soviet advance in the East.

Top Bottom