1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The road to Moscow - A French Hearts of Iron II AAR

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Dell19, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Encirclements are definitely a must to tame the Bear, othwise we get swamped at some point.

2. sheep21

sheep21 Prince

indeed, and in time subject russia's industry to strategic bombing :D

3. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Land forces

Since the start of this AAR the Soviet army has gone from 451 divisions 494 whilst the French army has only slightly increased in size. Our allied armies have continued to grow with Rep Spain the main contributor – mainly recruiting mountain infantry. The UK and US armies have also grown however the majority of their forces are in the Asian theatre. Our infantry is now a mixture of 43 and 45 whilst from our initial encounters the Soviets seem to have a mixture of 41 and 43 with some 39 infantry divisions also in operation.

The Soviet’s main advantages seem to be their superior numbers of tanks and mobile infantry and their greater production capacity. The production stat sounds worse than it is as most of our production went towards building a nuclear reactor instead of units. Additionally we’ve gained the most industry from the fall of Germany which will boost our production capacity. Of course there are also our allies who will likely continue to produce extra divisions. Considering those extra factors we would probably need to capture around 20 Soviet divisions a year to stay level.

Navy

As can be seen our navy is basically non existent as most of it lies at the bottom of the Mediterranean. Hungary have inherited the remaining Axis navy however they are a land locked nation which is about to be crushed so those fleets can be ignored. It is somewhat fitting that we have a terrible navy as the Soviet navy is equally poor. With the demise of Germany, the USA and UK now have a clear advantage over our remaining enemies and now outnumber the Japanese navy nearly 4:1. Hopefully they will be able to use that advantage to good effect in the Pacific.

Air force

It’s a similar story when comparing air forces. The US and UK again form the bulk however it is worth noting that the allied total is 274. The French air force is again weak in comparison to the other major powers although we are bolstered by Spanish, Yugoslavian, Belgian and Dutch aircraft. Our focus has always been on land troops and so we will have to rely on our allies to help keep the skies clear from Soviet air craft. Importantly in terms of total aircraft the Allied force outnumbers the combined enemy air force by slightly over 2:1 so we should have the edge in the skies.

Edit: The lack of recent interest has made me consider just turning it back into a single player game. Its probably the most convenient time to stop rather than write a few more updates and face the same lack of activity. I'll be away next week so will probably make a decision after then.

4. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

Lack of interest indeed. Where is everybody?

5. Serutan

Sorry to hear that. If you're referring to lack of interest over the last few days, it has been a
    holiday weekend in the US... And speaking strictly for myself, I didn't see a lot to add to your last post, so I was waiting for the next update.

6. MajorGeneral2

MajorGeneral2 Just happy to be here

FWIW, I have been following this thread, and would like to see how this game turns out. I imagine I'm not the only lurker.

7. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Yeah fair points as other people have said they are away. I guess midway through the advance into Germany there was a rush of activity which raised my expectations so I ended up expecting some more comments when Germany was finally annexed. Good to know that people were still reading the thread even though it had dropped quite far down the page.

8. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I'm always reading, I just rarely post :)

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Emperor

Same as me, only I nearly never post. :p

10. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

I was on a holiday for nearly 2 weeks and I would love to see this AAR continue.

11. PhroX

PhroX Deity

I'm a keen reader of this one, even if I've not posted in the thread before, so definately don't stop. :)

12. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

Please continue the updates, games being played out are always interesting for new and experienced players alike. I'm even half-inclined to start my own thread reporting my in-game progress as an inexperienced player.

Incidentally, what difficulty and enemy aggressiveness are you playing? Other settings?

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Are we in Moscow yet? :D

I consider AARs to be like movies. Only insufferable girls babble in the middle of them ;)

14. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

You make Ironman sad D=

lol

And yes I do lurk here....

15. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

You guys spam this thread for popularity?

16. Serutan

Mayhap you should read more than the last 2 posts in the thread...

17. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

In the last month of the German resistance the border between France and the Soviet Union continued to grow. The majority of that border remained largely peaceful whilst Germany still existed with the only skirmishes occurring in recently vacated German controlled territory. The common enemy no longer exists so now finally we will have to take on the Russian bear. The last French attempt at invading the Russia didn’t go particularly well so it is fair to say that the general morale of the Allied army dipped when considering the task ahead.

When Berlin had been captured one general had suggested leaving the remaining Czech provinces in German control as bait and to then attempt an encirclement of the advancing Soviet troops. At that point the advice had been ignored however our intelligence indicated that the Soviets out produced the allies in terms of land troops so some sort of encirclement would have to occur and it would have to occur soon. Otherwise we would ultimately be swept away by hordes of Soviet troops. The Serutan plan was agreed on the 23rd. The remaining Hungarian nation would be used as the bait. We would then attach on the Czech border to the north and attempt to push round the eastern edge of the Danube and thus trap Soviet troops sent to guard Budapest.

The Serutan plan:

As the image above indicates, another 8 days have passed. On the 27th the Soviets annexed Hungary after capturing Budapest and Pecs. At the same time we had moved troops from Berlin and Stralsund further south to Cottbus. Additional Allied divisions had reached the Czech border whilst the existing divisions had begun preparations for a potential offence. At 1am the attack began. The first phase of the operation involved 112 allied divisions who would attempt a mass invasion across the Czech border. Troops in Cottbus and Liberic would attack Breslau, troops in Liberic and Kutna Hora would attack Ostrava and troops in Kutna Hora and Hollabrunn would attack Brno.

The first phase begins:

The greatest resistance was encountered around Brno and soon allied aircraft had joined the battle from above. By 5am Soviet troops were already retreating from Ostrava. At 12:00 they similarly began to pull back from Brno and by 19:00 they were also pulling back from Breslau. The ease of these early battles gave hope to the Allies that the plan might actually work. On the morning of the 3rd the second phase began. Our advance into Brno was nearly complete so the next step was to attack the key city of Bratislava. We needed to capture the city to be able to push further east whilst it would also reduce the chance of our advancing units in Brno being pushed back.

Attempting to conquer the ruined city of Bratislava:

At 3am troops in Hollabrunn and Vienna began their attack on the city. An hour later Brno to the north had been secured so a number of divisions were ordered to support the attack on Bratislava from a third direction. As night approached so did our bombers and at 21:00 the Soviet troops abandoned Bratislava. Now it was a waiting game for our advancing troops to secure the 3 regions under attack. On the morning of the 5th, 21 divisions reached Breslau whilst 24 divisions reached Ostrava. The Soviets launched counter attacks but both were quickly defeated. West of the Oder river was now under our control. At 3:00 on the 6th our troops reached Bratislava which meant that in the space of 6 years we are now the fifth nation to occupy the city. There was no rest for those divisions as immediately an attack began on Zilina to the east.

Pushing east:

Primarily the attack on Zilina was a diversion. The first aim was to dissuade the Soviets from trying to recapture Bratislava and the second aim was to force them to reinforce Krakow rather than our real targets to the south. At 17:00 the attack had been successful and the Soviet armies were retreating from Zilina. Whether the diversion would work was another matter.

18. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

YEEEY new updates nice
    :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

19. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

The next phase was the most crucial. Troops from Bratislava would push east and then attempt to link up with armies pushing north from Yugoslavia. The regions of Miskolc and Szeged would need to be captured and held whilst the Soviet armies in central Hungary could then be attacked and forced to surrender in the fourth and final phase. The final phase would be most reliant on our allied units which generally suffer from poor morale, have worse equipment and would likely involve cavalry units. So if the first two phases had been relatively straight forward this is where it could all go wrong. At 3am on the 8th the push towards Miskolc began.

The third phase begins:

As with the previous phases it started well with the Soviets forced to begin their retreat after 12 hours of fighting and at 20:00 on the 11th 2 tank divisions were enough to secure Miskolc. 24 hours later the first Allied divisions reached Zilina further north but were forced to retreat against far superior numbers. The 13th of June would mark the key point of the Serutan plan. At 1:00am the main attack force reached Zilina whilst the attacking troops from Bratislava reached Miskolc.

The Soviets once again began to counter attack our troops in Zilina however this time we began a new offensive. This time the target was the historical capital of Poland, Krakow, with its 5 factories. In addition and more significantly, the attack began on Szeged to close the noose. The main attack began from Osijek in the south with support from troops in Miskolc.

Attempting to complete the encirclement:

At 15:00 our troops were victorious in Szeged although the Soviets would no doubt send reinforcements whilst 2 hours later our armies were also successful in their attack on Krakow. As predicted the Soviets were not going to abandon Szeged easily and two days later 16 Soviet divisions of reinforcements arrived in the region and forced more allied divisions to be committed to the fight.

Second battle for Szeged:

Our air support once more joined the fight and tipped the battle in our favour. At 11:00 on the 16th the Soviets were once again forced to retreat whilst earlier in the day Krakow was briefly captured by an advance armour division. It was clear that it was going to be difficult to hold Szeged as the Allied armies attacking from Osijek had already faced significant casualties so more reinforcements were moved from Austria towards Miskolc and Osijek.

The fourth a final phase began at 11:00 on the 18th of June. 9 divisions reached Szeged and finally the encirclement of the Soviet troops in Hungary was complete. They did still need to be defeated and that task began immediately as it was unclear how long our troops could hold out in Szeged. Szeged was immediately attacked from the Soviet troops to the east however reinforcements arrived a couple of hours later and the Soviets abandoned their attack. Elsewhere our troops were already advancing into Hungary whilst our air force flew over.

Attempting to crush the Hungarian pocket:

116 Allied divisions were involved in the assault and intelligence gathered later indicated that there were 30 Soviet divisions in central Hungary when the encirclement was completed. This time the fighting was a struggle as under strength units were committed to the various attacks and the Soviets continued to attack Szeged. The 19th saw a second Soviet attack on Szeged defeated whilst at 5:00 victory was achieved in the lightly defended region of Gyor on the border with Austria. After more troops from Bratislava joined the fight, victory was also achieved in Budapest at 16:00.

The 20th saw mixed results. Our troops were victorious in Pecs however our army in Szeged was finally forced to begin a retreat. It seemed likely though that they would manage to hold the region for long enough that the Soviet troops in Hungary would not have the chance to retreat east. In addition our troops in Miskolc were also attacked. The allied command did not want to risk allowing the Soviets a chance to escape so a diversionary attack further north against Kosice began and successfully forced the Soviets to abandon their attack.

On the 21st Budapest was captured whilst allied reinforcements from Miskolc reached Szeged in an attempt to hold the region. This relief force was unfortunately also forced to retreat after a day of fighting. The 24th of June would finally see Pecs captured and with no where to go the Soviet troops were forced to surrender. The plan had been successful and 30 soviet divisions had been forced to surrender. The final 5 days of the month saw our attack on Krakow finally abandoned after the city changed hands a couple of times and it became clear that we needed to reorganise our troops before beginning another offensive. Further south Szeged was recaptured by the Soviets but it was too late for their comrades and on the 27th their armies were once again forced to retreat from Szeged.

The aftermath:

Our reserve troops are mainly moving towards Zilina and Miskolc as there is hope that two small encirclements could occur around Novi Sad on the Yugoslavian border whilst if we could capture Zilina then another Soviet army would be trapped in Banska Bystrica. The 30 Soviet divisions captured is a major victory as that basically removes the extra troops that they were able to train in the last year. Whilst an important victory there are a few negatives:
    - The Soviets can likely still out produce us so we need to make our current advantage count.
    - Our man power is 175 which isn’t horrendously low however we lost slightly over 20 man power during the offensive so it may well become an issue. (It includes some new divisions being trained and in winter we are unlikely to attack)
    Some positives:
    - We’ve gained a couple of key industrial cities in Bratislava and Budapest. There are few other cities in Eastern Europe with the same number of factories
    - If we suffered casualties in this attack, our next offensive may well be easier as we now have a slight numeric troop advantage.

Research:
    On the 9th we finished researching Basic Mechanised Infantry and began researching Rocket Test and Research

On the 20th we finished researching experimental reactor and began researching Improved Mechanised Infantry

20. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

I also read but don't post... I keep an eye on most of the AARs here. :)