1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Road To War PBEM (BTS Scenario)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by Dazz_G, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I'm setting up a PBEM on Dale's Road to War scenario.

Settings ...

BTS patched to 3.03
    Road To War Add on Pack 1 (beta 3)
    Also see the following ... [http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5931956&postcount=37] ... as the '38 variant Dale has created for us is ideal for our purposes, you all would need to click the link and follow the instructions there.

Europe '38 (Hitler)
    Historical

Germany :
    Italy : VeteranLurker ..... veteranlurker[at]earthlink[dot]net

United Kingdom : Dazz_G ..... civaholic(AT)btinternet(DOT)com
    Russia : Bluewolf ..... redwolf915 at yahoo .com
    France : Krokodil ..... krokodilkim(at)gmail(dot)com
    USA : LingLinsRevenge .....

I'm also proposing EITHER ...

A player to play all three of Poland / Norway / Low Countries. The benefit being fewer dumb AI positions and is workable as the three seperate positions follow each other in play order meaning 1 player can 'send the turn' to himself eliminating the time factor of having 1 player for each of the three.

OR ...

We could give the three positions to the US player. Benefits - similar to above but 1 less player, speading up turnaround. Also, it would help to keep the US player interested as he has the longest wait (DEC '41) to see action. As the three positions are totally seperate and will probably be wiped out before US enters the war it shouldn't unbalance things.

Obviously all the above is open for discussion.

2. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

Does this replace the game proposed in the other thread? I don't think there are enough players for two separate games, so why not try to fill one game first?

3. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Prext has stepped down from setting up a game so I have decided to launch a game of my own.

4. xatsmann

xatsmann Warlord

I'm in as Germany....my e-mail address is jwmchughjr(at)gmail(dot)com

I see we give the smaller powers in Europe to separate player from the major powers and let him play ALL the minor powers.

I'd like to play the 1936 scenario if we have to play historical or quasi-historical...

Do all of the other powers want to take their positions from Prext's game?

5. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

Which mode will this be played on? (i.e. accurate, random or open)

6. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I have proposed historical/accurate but that is open for discussion.

7. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I assume you mean give him all the minor Allied powers ... obviously you cannot give the same player the Axis minor powers. Also, giving that player neutral minor powers would unbalance things if those neutral powers then get involved in the conflict with the same player.

8. xatsmann

xatsmann Warlord

Yeah I guess I forgot about the Axis minor powers...they get the West Balkans and Finland, right? We could just leave them with the AI.

By the way...a player who wants to be in the game...Tim Kim. He wants to play the historical scenario but didn't say which one or what country he wanted to play.

His e-mail is: krokodilkim(at)gmail(dot)com.

He said he was having difficulty registering here and he didn't want to get shut out of the game.

9. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Because of the sequence of play, East Balkans and Finland would be better as AI. The 'Allies' minor powers - Poland, Norway, Low Countries & West Balkans - could all be given to one player if anyone wants to play them.

I have emailed Tim asking for a choice of position. Upon receipt of this I shall include him in the game.

10. Tim Ford

Tim Ford Prince

I wish BtS was out for mac. I would love to play!

too bad.

11. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

Count me in as Italy as before, unless no one takes Russia. veteranlurker[at]earthlink[dot]net

I can agree to Norway and the Low Countries being run by the same person, and even with that person being the one who runs the USA; as you say it gives them something to do early on. Not sure having one of the Western Allied Powers running Poland is such a good idea, as they must also fight Russia who later becomes an ally and is thus something of a conflict of interest.

I like 1936 and historic mode. As I wondered on the other thread, I don't know that it makes sense to have a human play Spain, Turkey or Sweden in the historic game, since they can never ally with anyone. Finland I'm not sure of, since they fight with Russia, but their war also ends early on doesn't it? If it ends, then there isn't anything else for them to do after that, right?

12. knigh+

knigh+ .

Which brings us to this question:

Which file do I need to edit to remove the "no war no peace declaration" rule of this mod?

13. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I'd certainly love to have you on board ... any ETA on BtS arriving on the mac ?

14. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

I'm assuming you would prefer Russia then ... if i'm wrong let me know and i'll change you to Italy.

The reason I included Poland in my idea was mainly to make the German/Russian/Polish conflict more interesting and less of a squash. Lets face it though, Poland will still fall way before USA gets involved so I really don't see it as a conflict of interest.

I agree regarding the nuetrals ... AI it is. For the reason you mentioned I specifically didn't suggest Finland be played, or the Axis Balkans for that matter ... nothing there to keep a player involved - AI it is for them too.

15. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Can honestly say I haven't a clue what file you refer to ... are you trying to work around the fixed alliances/war declarations of the historical mod ?

16. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

To the modder -- no need to modify the rules. Just choose the 'open' play mode -- anyone can war with anyone in that mode and nothing is declared automatically. At least that is how it works in single-player.

I selected Italy to give the person who requested Russia in the other thread a chance to have them. But I think this game needs at least six players to make it fun/viable in any case (Germany, Italy, Russia, UK, France, USA). I would be psyched to play Italy, since they would be quite a challenge.

17. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

No worries ... I have changed you to Italy.

Incidently, I have PMed the guys who signed up to Prext's game to see if they want in ... early days yet but so far only FailedReality has responded.

18. knigh+

knigh+ .

Me neither, that is why I am asking.

Yes. Maybe I should look for the answer in the modding forums.

19. Dazz_G

Dazz_G Emperor

Not too sure why you are trying to do this ... if you don' want fixed alliances / war declarations then, as Veteran says above, play the 'Open' version where nothing is fixed - you can then declare war / alliances at will.

20. Dale

Dale Deity

It's implemented via python.