The Road to War Ultimate Edition for BtS 3.19

Good then Dean -but I'm not a modder. How do I do this? I'm pretty analytical so if you include some clear instructions I can get it accomplish in the code -I think (I hope).

Or is there some other selection in the game options you're referring to?

I'm going to put this thread out there on BTS RTW to see if I can get any help. If you come across something in the DLL let me know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would greatly appreciate it. I'll try and play test games at different difficulty levels and see if that has any effect. I'll post a reply if I come up with anything.

Again, thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

ok, another qustion for you...

its 1943, i am ussr and at war with italy, germany, and other axis powers, but not japan. i have NOT joined the allies... why? i thought the historically accurate deal meant i'd join forces with britain in 1941?

also, a bug... russian early infantry can be upgraded for only 20gold, to either 4star OR 5star infantry (when researched). i think this is a mistake, esp since if u try to buy upgrades from 4 to 5, that costs like 140gold.

The USSR wasn't at war with Japan until August 1945!! Also it was never really an ally of the Allies as it was forced into the war and had separate political ideologies to the democratic allies.

Is it ok to play historical mode now? As before the AI would only focus on research before the war, meaning I had an armada of army units against very small forces. So does the AI continually produce war units while focusing on research as well now?

for some reason (I've only played as the Americans in global assault) in global assault 1936, when I play historically currect gameplay mode no historic popups appear! It's 1941 and no one's declared war! I don't get it, doesn't make sense. This was on Road to War Ultimate Edition ver. 3.19 of BtS

First, Thanks very much for creating this MOD. I'm sure you are getting very little (or nothing) in compensation for this. As a developer who generally gets paid for my work, I have an extra appreciation for this.

I learned the hard way to find out whether patch upgrades will kill saves. I started the version built into BTS as UK and ran into the oil bug right after France was finally occupied. I found discussion of the bug discussed on the forums so I upgraded to 3.17 (both BTS and RTW). What I didn't expect (but understand, now that I know) is that my saves were pretty much toast. I've now restarted the same scenario as UK.

My question...will going to 3.19 kill my 3.17 saves?

One think I'd also like to observe is the obvious history less I'm going to guess you recieved after you developed the first version. Many of the things I didn't really think about when playing the first version, but I noticed when I restarted with 3.17...like Canada being an independent country and the Germans having a significant sub presence and Bagdad already having water wheels.

Anyway, thanks again Dale!!!

So...sounds like we need to just reinstall BTS in a separate directory and patch the new BTS to 3.17 and forget about it then?

For me my only problem is giving civ's the right equipment, also jet fighter/bombers should "replace" piston engined aircraft, they should be special, limited units to be used carefully.

Hungary should have the CR42 (bought from Italy) as its basic fighter, BF109 (which was both supplied by Germany and made under licence by Hungary) as its andvanced fighter and no jet aircraft at all, they should also get the Pzkpfw IV as their "heavy tank" (which the Germans sent small batches to equip Hungary's elite units).

France should get the Sherman as its "heavy tank" as the Char C2 was actually a big hunk of crap and the not only did France use some US aircraft in 1940 the French army used a lot of Shermans during the campaigns in Italy and liberation of France.

Germany, the Tiger tank was a bit of a "white elephant", it was unrelible and only saw limited production, the Panther should be the "upgrade" to the Pzkpfw IV and ended by 1944 was Germany's most common tank.

Good points. I'll incorporate some of these in my version.

That would be good because I'm not likely to be able to create a whole MOD myself for a long time, I lack the knowledge in this area, however I can certainly help others with lists of equipment etc.

Its amazing who used what equipment during WW2, we often (thanks to the media) just think the Germans had all the best gear, in fact they made an effort to equip/train and supply their allies in the same way Britain and the US did.

I think the Spanish Me109 model would be a good start for making Romanian/Hungarian/Finnish Bf109's, you could either use the version with no markings or add markings. Romanian Bf109's used the yellow cross of "Micheal the brave" in place of the German crosses (later they used a red/yellow/blue roundel), Hungary used a white cross on a black square + red/white/green Hungarian flag on the tail fins, the Fins used a blue swastika on a white circle and later a blue/white/blue roundel.

The Romanian Ms406 would carry the same markings as the Bf109 for the Romanian/Finnish air forces while the Hungarian CR42 would (I assume) have the Hungarian cross and red/white/green tail.

I also think that if we want a third class of fighter jets should be scrapped as even in the early 1950's they were still used alongside piston engined aircraft like the P51, my advice for replacements for jets would be (all have models available in the unit thread):

F4U Corsair, used by USA, France and Canada
Hawker Tempest, used by UK and India
LaFn7, used by USSR from WW2 into the 1950's, also used by Korea and I think the Chinese Communists used it too.

For Asia:

Thailand should get the A6M Zero as its advanced fighter as Japan supplied this and the similar Nakajima Ki43 to Thai dictator Pibulsongaram. The rest of Thailands military was pretty basic from what I know, they were tough jungle fighters by trade.

Philipenes should get the P51 as its advanced fighter and maybe the M2 light tank, the rest of their gear would be standard stuff.

The Hawk75 is actually another name for the Curtis P36, there is a model of this available in USA, French and Finish colours, could someone make a skin of the P36 in Nationalist Chinese colours?

I think India should have its own faction in the Asia/Pacific campaign, the British run Indian army and air force were actually seperate to the British army in the same way as the Canadians and Australians. Lord Mountbatton was effectively the ruler of India and Burma, his title was Viceroy, he was also overall commander of all allied forces in the Asian threatre, fullfilling the same role as General Eisenhower did in Europe.

The Indian army used a lot of "second rate" equipment withdrawn from Europe/north Africa, due to the nature of the Japanese army and the terrain the Indian army's the M3 Stuart's and M3 Lee's, the heaviest tank they used was the Churchill, designed to cross a WW1 style battlefield it was perfect for crossing rough terrain.

India would get Indian Infantry (the Commonwealth style units with turbans available would be perfect), the M2 light tank (tank), M4 Sherman (light tank), Churchill Mk VII (heavy tank), the Hurricane (early fighter), Spitfire (improved fighter) and Hawker Tempest (instead of jet fighter)

USA should have the Dauntless or Helldiver instead of the B18 Bolo as their early bomber as the model used for the Bolo is some generic Polish bomber.

USSR needs the I 16 fighter model instead of the CR42 used to represent the I 153 Chaika.

Germany should retain the Me262 jet fighter but it should not "replace" the FW190 and BF109, I think that all classes of aircraft for all nations should be producable even after newr aircraft are developed and the newer aircraft should be a lot more expensive to justify building the "cheeper option". This also keeps with history as for example, the BF109 and FW190 were both in production at the same time, the BF109 being better suited to low altitude combat and the FW190 being better at high altitude.

As a side note on German equipment, the Russians were not impressed with the FW190, it may have been powerful at high altitudes but it was seen as an easy target during the typical low altitude combat of the eastern front. In contrast to western allied fighter pilots the Russian pilots were actually more concerned about the nimble Bf109!

On tanks, the Russians liked the Panthers firepower and armour, but hated its unreliability and high maintainance, they formed a unit of captured Panthers and used them until the end of the war. The Tiger was also unreliable but its massive firepower gave the Russian tank crews something to worry about, they exploited the T34's superior mobilty to outflank Tigers and hit them from the side. When the Konigs Tiger apeared the captured a few of them (due to breakdowns...) and tested the IS2's 122mm gun against them, not only were they surprized by how easily the IS2's shells punched through the King Tigers armour (Germany was short of quality alloys by this stage) they were also baffled as why the Germans had replaced the Tiger with a huge pile of scrap metal lol.

I believe the USSR should get the IS2 as its heavy tank because the KV was by no means an "upgrade" to the T34, same gun, less mobility and slower production rate.

I also strongly believe the Modern Armour unit is pointless in this game, its an M1 Abrams, its looks absoloutely wrong for the late 1940's! The Modern Artillery for the Allied nation should the "Priest" self propelled gun from Varietas Delectat and the tank destroyer ought to be the M10 but no model exists to my knowledge.

The Axis tank destroyer would be a later version of the StugIII, the model used is a StugIII ausfB, an AusfG would be great.

For Italy the P26/40 was not a great tank, it never even saw action, the Semovente 75 is a beautiful attempt by the Italians to make something like a StugIII using the M13/40 chassis and it worked! The Semovente used a 75mm gun of similar capability of the US M3 75mm gun used in the M4 Sherman, it was capable of knocking out Allied medium tanks at normal combat ranges.

I hope the info is useful lol.

Alot of those ideas are already in the works. However, I will post your info in my dedicated thread for version 0.4x here.

0.33 is available for download already and has made significant changes. [see my sig]

Sounds good.

I dowloaded 0.33 to try it out, it looks like its loading but its nothing happens beyond the MOD name apearing in the top right of the ordinary BTS screen, everything is as normal.

Do I nead to dowload the earlier versions?

There should be a Pacific US and a Euro US, as the Pacific US fleet used F4U Corsairs and F6F Hellcats, while the Eastern US Fleet(or would they be better described as the Army) used P-51's. Also the Pacific used more Dive bombers and Torpedo bombers instead of the heavy B-17's and B-18's(now don't get me wrong they used them, but not as much as they used Torpedo and Dive Bombers). The two should be joined with a Permanent Alliance on a Global map(when there is one).

I also think that the upgrade between the aircraft shouldn't be allowed, as Me109's and FW190's and even the Me262's were used together(same with the Spitfire and Hurricane).

I also agree that the Axis nations(including Spain) should be able to build(or better, buy) German(or Japanese) aircraft and Armor, and the Allies should be able to build(or buy also) US aircraft.

Yes, the Corsair and Dauntless should deffinately make an apearance, when I played the RTW Paficic Asia campaign as the UK I was looking at the US troops and thinking "Mustangs were mainly used in europe, not out here" although the P40 was used early, it should be available to the Nationalist Chinese as limited unit using the "Flying Tigers" skin.

Whenever I play RTW end up going into worldbuilder and distributing a few units of BF109's to Spain, Hungary, Romania and Finland, oh and Pzkpfw IV's to Spain, Hungary, Romania, Finland and Turkey, the Pzkpfw IVG is available in other MODs in German, Hungarian, Spanish, Finnish and Turkish colours, pity the Bf109 isn't.

I played as Germany up until autumn 1944 (my PC was wiped) I ended up producing extra Panzer IV's and Bf109's for my allies, I also gave Romania the SM.79 bomber (via worldbuilder). The game went pretty much to history, The Canadians invaded France, the USA followed, I made a fighting withdrawl through France, held Northern Italy and the Balkans, Hungary stuck by me and Romania dropped out. I ran out of Bf109's but kept sending Panzer IVHs, as fast as the Hungarians were losing them, I produced a few units of Tigers but had little use for them, same strength 35 as the "IVH" but only movement 2...

It is fun "equiping" your allies, especially if you play the USA, you might be forced to sit things out until 1942 but you can still send shipfulls of tanks etc as gifts to keep a struggling future ally afloat, unlike playing as Germany where you can barely spare the aircraft/tanks the USA is a good position play "armourer".

Sounds good.

I dowloaded 0.33 to try it out, it looks like its loading but its nothing happens beyond the MOD name apearing in the top right of the ordinary BTS screen, everything is as normal.

Do I nead to dowload the earlier versions?
It does not work with Ultimate Edition

The older versions will probably not work with 3.19. This is the last version I made for UE 3.17

There should be a Pacific US and a Euro US,
Hmmm ... A separate US. Had not considered that. Well worth a thought when I work on the Pacific and Global scenarios.

It must be said though ... I prefer the European theatre. And this is very likely to be the most refined.

Top Bottom