The Road to War Ultimate Edition for BtS 3.19

If by "load/save issue" you mean "corrects the problem in which the game crashes after a set amount of turns," then yes.

The game I am playing loads and saves just fine. It just crashes when I hit the Enter key to progress to the next turn.

While this thread did not address this issue directly, the more ambiguous "load/save issue" led me to believe it was a blanket term covering all such problems; I've seen it used in the past when describing this sort of thing. It is actually the very reason that helped convince me to download the RtW Ultimate Edition for BtS 3.19 in the first place.

You can then imagine my disappointment when, instead of correcting the error, the game simply refused to load, calling the file "corrupted." Not an improvement by any means. (I can start a new game with no problems whatsoever though, so that isn't the issue.)

The version of the game that I have prior to this installation was the version of RtW that comes with the 3.19 Firaxis patch; the version this thread says UE for 3.19 updates (and since it didn't say they were incompatible in the same breath, I figured save files were A-okay to be transferable). If that in itself--the build--is not enough to render it incompatible with UE for 3.19, I don't know what else could be causing it. I tried loading this save file on three different computers I own that all run Civilization IV BtS with the 3.19 patch, and all of them crash on the turn I mentioned, which is why I sought this solution; downloading the Ultimate Edition. However, all of them fail to load the save file with the UE for 3.19 installed, as well.

The only possibility I can see is downloading the original Ultimate Edition first (Dale's version, back in 2008) -- except that build was released before the 3.19 Firaxis patch was, and it was my understanding that the version offered in this thread made it obsolete, including everything that version did and more (and, as stated, this thread says that UE for 3.19 updates the version in the Firaxis patch). I'm only considering it because I'm out of options.

Dale's version of UE works on 3.17; that's why this one exists. They only other difference between the two is that this one doesn't have the text advising you to download stuff you already have (I have NO idea why Dale left this in, as UE was the last update and always intended to be the last update).

Yes, that is basically what I figured. It doesn't help me, though; I only brought it up because it's the only other thing I could think of, as mentioned. My question is this: what could be causing incompatibility issues in regards to save files, if the builds—RtW included in the 3.19 patch, and the UE offered in this thread—are supposed to be compatible in this vein? (Unless they aren't . . . but no one has come forward to say this yet.)

RtW 3.17, RtW 3.19 and RtW UE 3.19 all use a different DLLs.

This is one of the main reasons, I decided to base my RtW - Historical on RtW 3.19.

In other words, they are not compatible?
Correct.

3.17 save games can only play on 3.17
3.19 save games can only play on 3.19
3.19 UE save games can only play on 3.19 UE
3.19 Historical (mine) games can only play on 3.19 Historical.

Each version has significant changes either the Civ4 Engine, Civ4DLL, Python Scripts or XML files.

Even in my version each version's save file is incompatible with the later, as significant changes have been made to the required files.

That's actually exactly what happens, deanej.

It seems I confused you two a little. That's understandable, though I explained myself in the last few posts.

My save file, which is from the 3.19 Firaxis patch, eventually crashed when I reached a certain number of turns. I tried running the file on three different computers that had the patch, with the same result. Annoyed, I went to CivFanatics and heard of the RtW Ultimate Edition for 3.19. This topic didn't mention anything about incompatibility, only referring vaguely to "load/save issues" that I thought was referring to fixing problems from the previous version (and I figured it was a blanket term referring to any problem concerning getting a game to run, as I stated earlier). After all, why else mention it in the same breath in which the UE is described as an update to said version? Incompatibility wasn't mentioned at the same time, so I figured it wasn't an issue. So I went and installed it. Lo and behold, the game crashed before it could load. When I raised the issue on the previous page, no one said the two builds were incompatible; in fact, kiwitt said there might have been "something else" causing it in addition to that--hence my comment asking what it could be. So when kiwitt finally came out and said that they were simply incompatible, I was puzzled. Why didn't he say this when I first asked about it? If they're simply incompatible, there wouldn't be any need to talk about any other problems. So I figured some facts were misunderstood.

But thanks for the help, guys. If you're willing and able to help me out with just one more thing, I'd be grateful: do you have any ideas as to why my save file crashes when I play the standard, Firaxis patch version? Why does it do this after a certain number of turns have progressed? It's the first RtW game I've played with the patch, and I never had that problem before (the last time I played RtW was with the 3.03 patch). I know it's off-topic, but I've got you guys here and you're both well-versed on RtW, so why not?

I do remember that before UE and the Firaxis 3.19 version there was a load/save issue. I don't know more though.

As for not mentioning the incompatibility, it was probably understood. Mod updates almost invariably break save game compatibility. Nobody knows what magic Firaxis does to make saves compatible across different patches.

When I raised the issue on the previous page, no one said the two builds were incompatible
To be fair, my first response to you, I said it was prabably an issue.
3.19 actually corrects the load/save issue (of previous versions), so there is probably an incompatibility with it, in addition to trying to play a standard-RtW save game with RtW Ultimate.
I am in no way a programmer, just an amateur modder, hence I am not certain about compatibility, but I have had issues with trying to play different version load/save files and the crashing associated with it, so my observations come from my own experience

! C:\Users\Jake\Downloads\TheRoadToWar (2).zip: Cannot create The Road to War\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Access is denied.
! C:\Users\Jake\Downloads\TheRoadToWar (2).zip: Cannot create The Road to War\CvGameCoreDLL\Boost-1.32.0\include\boost\pool\detail\pool_construct.bat
Access is denied.
! C:\Users\Jake\Downloads\TheRoadToWar (2).zip: Cannot create The Road to War\CvGameCoreDLL\Boost-1.32.0\include\boost\pool\detail\pool_construct_simple.bat
Access is denied.

Hello everyone, i've pretty much always referred to and love this site when it comes to anything civ, but never got around to registering until now. Anyways, i downloaded this mod, (awesome job by the way, played it on a friend's computer before) deleted the old RTW folder (i assume i was supposed to do that?) and tried to extract this one in its place. These are the errors WinRAR popped up with. It's probably a pretty simple problem, but i'm kind of computer inept. Clearly there's a pattern with "Access is denied", so i assume there should be one fix for all these errors... but i'm not really sure what that would be. Thanks in advance for any help

You appear to be using Win7.

Try extracting the file into c:\temp and then copying the folder to ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods.

NOTE: In order to avoid permission problems like above, I do two things Run all files :Administrator" and install Civ in to C:\Games\Civ4

Can anyone tell me how to get it so that I can play Global Assault? I've already downloaded.

First let me say that the RtW scenario is AWESOME! I've been playing Civ IV for about 2 years and never bothered to play any of the scenarios. I'm readicted. :)

Second, where can I DL the 3.19 from? The Atomicgames link runs at a screaming 106B/sec. That's right, Bytes not KBytes. Help!!! :)

You can try downloading again later. If it doesn't work I'll have to try FileFront again and see if:
a. I can upload (I've had problems in the past)
b. FileFront doesn't corrupt the file this time!

I am using FileSend.net - no problems there to report. You could host the file there.

You totally rock! :goodjob: Thank you! BTW, any chance of getting your Star Trek 3.0 up there as well. Everything by Atomicgames was running slooooooooowwwwww........

WaverLH

Top Bottom