1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Road to War Ultimate Edition for BtS 3.19

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by deanej, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

can we play historical in global assault

2. deanej

deanej Chieftain

3. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

how please

4. deanej

deanej Chieftain

You should be presented with the option just like in the Europe/Pacific maps.

5. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

You should get the option to select Historical in Turn 2.

6. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

does not work
    1936 - Global Assault.CivBeyondSwordWBSave:
    i can upload because is more than 2 mb
    but you know the file

7. deanej

deanej Chieftain

8. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

yeah but if you play
    you see it is not historical
    just turn by turn nothinng happend

9. deanej

deanej Chieftain

How far did you go? There aren't events every turn; you won't see anything until the start of the Spanish Civil War.

10. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

all the way,1 st time usa and wait to 1941,42,43 no war!!
    just try and click end turn
    (i can wait to star trek in civ5)

11. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I played a test with Germany and it seemed to work fine - at least the Spanish Civil War did. Are you using full historical or random historical? I believe random historical has a chance to fully skip events, so if Perl Harbor was skipped, that would be no war for the US.

12. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

try usa please
    if you see spanish civil war
    i my have to install evrithing again

13. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

try usa please

14. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Worked here. Did you delete the RTW folder before installing UE? Not doing to has been known to cause issues.

15. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

about to delete and install again

16. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

That is correct.

I played Germany (once or twice) and Czechoslovakia was never annexed.

17. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

yeah is diferent now i need good factories to make airline factories
    it is working (reinstall)

18. Wosret84

Wosret84 Chieftain

I'm having an issue where eventually, usually around 1940 or 1941, the game crashes to desktop while processing the AI moves. It will get part way through the other civilization's turns and then suddenly crash. I've tried playing with the settings, reducing graphics, putting my camera away from the action (thinking my computer wasn't able to handle the graphics). I even save the game every turn and it will always crash at more or less the same point. Occasionally if I go back a little further and do things a little differently, it might make it a few more turns ahead, but it will eventually stop working. Reloading the last save, right at the end of the last turn, constantly crashes no matter what I do.

I'm wondering if my computer can't handle it? It seems far fetched, as I'm using a Core i7 with 6GB of ram on Vista Ultimate.

Everything else works great. The gameplay is amazing and I love the historically accurate events.

19. deanej

deanej Chieftain

That might be it. Moving away from the action won't help with your graphics; every tile is rendered regardless of weather you're looking at it or not. With the exception of unit moves, the tiles are rendered regardless of weather you can even see them, so if you're in winter this can be a major factor. Also, civ won't use more than one CPU core or more than 3 GB of RAM. But a CTD from resource use will usually get postponed with reloading, even when nothing has changed (because of civ's memory leak), at least with graphics (possibly not with CPU/RAM; never had that kind happen to me before). Also, I have played past Peral Harbor (on 3.17) on my ancient desktop (with a Pentium 4 processor and only 1 GB RAM!).

20. Wosret84

Wosret84 Chieftain

I figured out the problem I think.

I have a dual display and I think the graphical load with 2 screens is too much. Obviously only one is used during the game but the other is still on, showing the desktop. I disabled the second screen while playing and now it works fine.

Amazing mod. I play with the historically accurate dates. I played as Germany naturally. I would like to play as the USSR but I fear that would be far too easy, since in the European scenario they have the most cities, and I have doubts that the AI controlling Germany could reproduce the actual successes the Germans had in reality. I want my huge titanic struggle with the Wehrmacht in 1941. I think part of the reason is that the AI can't overcome France as quickly (especially since the French AI will go on the offensive in 1939, forcing the Germans to fight directly on 2 fronts simultaneously).

Playing as Germany is fun since it involves a lot of planning and preparing for the dates you know are coming, which is true to reality since the Germans held the inititaive up to 1942.

One thing I will comment on is the overwhelming usefulness of air power and creative use of paratroopers. Playing as Germany, rather than researching the tank tech I decided to instead concentrate on air power, build lots of fighters and bombers and get my first fighter upgrade as soon as possible, and build the smaller (faster) light Panzers for the Polish campaign. Large numebers of aircraft can essentially act as long range artillery, destroying enemy units left and right. Poland fell in about 2-3 turns (accurate) and then I wheeled around and started smashing the French fortifications and any tanks they decided to send through. Once I broke through and captured the first to central French cities I was able to raze the defenses of the three cities to the north (including Paris) so badly that I could destroy all defense units from the air. Rather than take these cities using my tanks, which would take time to get there, I dropped paratrooper units next to them.

This became a common theme later in the game, as my land forces saw increasingly little action while I smashed enemy units from the air. The Russian AI concentrated the vast majority of their units in one city -- way more units than I could possibly take out. So the first few turns of Barbarossa saw me holding my tanks and artillery back as I slowly smashed down that huge stack (which the Russians sent south into Romania for some reason). Once that stack was weak I sent my tanks to finish them up and by August 1941 Russia's offensive capability was gone. Bombers destroyed factories and fighters destroyed exposed units -- most cities were defended with just 2-3 units -- and soon I started the offensive in earnest. 2-3 cities every turn, tanks moving too fast for the infantry to keep up. The Italians took Kiev and by mid-November I had captured Moscow and the Finns had taken Leningrad. Unlike in real life I knew the USSR could not recover.

Given this I think playing as the Russians would be a cakewalk. Very milimal military engagements prior to 1941 (the Winter War is short, and the Baltic states fall quickly) and since AI Germany would probably still be struggling with France, I could just steamroll them.