1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

@Fagan
    I've seen my post was interesting for you ;)
    Yes, artillery is overpowered, but this is from the DCM.
    Here i just restored some of the features you got in Vanilla (catapults are immune to collateral) and in the retail version. In retail version artillery has also a huge bonus (50%) vs. tanks.
    I let the early artillery flat to reward the research in some way.

For the other units i didn't made too many changes, but planes definitely needed some adjustement. And i gave 1 more move to the transports, to match with the Battleships like in Vanilla.
    I know it's difficult to read an XML if you don't use an editor, i use Altova with the grid option, so i can pretty easily compare the different values in a column (stenght, cost, range, etc.)

Stack Attack
    you well explained it here
    I made good use of it also with the Navy: I used the "North Sea Fleet" stacked with a transport loaded of Marines, taking all the Baltic Cities. Better, not take them in the turn the defenders evaporate, bur wait for a new garrison, then take them and abandoned.

I based my strategy for this game on the stack attack.
    It would be interesting to turn it off and see what i can do without it.
    Surely i'll build less artilleries and more tanks.
    BTW Italy didn't build a single tank in my game... strange indeed.

I'd be curious to hear Dale's comments about my posts... not interested perhaps? no time?

2. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

I have read the whole thread here today. Horizons is extremly funny. Fagan is a bit funny too, with all the comments they make ^=====^

3. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

Lol :lol::clap: "extremely funny," that's a great way to put it!

4. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

Too bad horizons does not come on anymore. He had a lot of great ideas and was a true gentleman.

5. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

The world mod for this new one is very good. However, I prefer the older version when playing in 1939. The AI is very weak even at the higher difficulty levels. If Britain would do more that would be nice, but unfortionatly that will never happen in any mod because of the game core itself. In this mod playing as the French, I did not feel threatened, whereas in the previous version of the mod I was fighting for my life. Still though, the world mod is worth the download.

6. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

Where did Horizons go, I liked reading his post :)

7. Stevereno81126

Stevereno81126 Chieftain

I just have a question the DCM stack attack.

I'm playing Global Assault as Japan and just ran over China. It was really easy though, and I don't know if it is a glitch or not. I was able to take out a stack of 35 or so Chinese early infantry with about 5 of my early infantry, 5 cavalry and maybe 7 artillery. The deal was that I was able to range bombard with the artillery, then attack with a unit, then I was able to bombard again with the artillery. The Artillery now had no moves left and I had only sacrificed 1 unit, the Chinese infantry were all there but really hurt.

The issue really starts now, I then attacked with another infantry who was easily killer. Followed by a cavalry, which this time all of the artillery units bombarded again. I attacked with my other cavalry and infantry(one at a time) and the artillery aided each time. So i had killed 9 or so of the chinese infantry and attacked with each of the 9 units i had there, but then I was able to attack with the infantry another time and the cavalry two more times. It was like they all had blitz(which they didnt) and each time the artillery pummeled the infantry until it was eventually killing them on its own.

So two Questions:
    1. Is the artillery supposed to be helping every single attack, even if you have like 20 units, will the artillery bombard 20 times?(this seems really unfair to me)
    2. Did you change it so that all units can attack multiple times per turn? (I'm thinking this is a glitch since I had to attack with a different unit before I could attack with the other multiple times)

I'd really appreciate any answer, since I don't really want to continue the global assault if it is a glitch. I'd rather fix the glitch then continue.

8. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

It is a glitch in the game. It does that with naval bombardments as well. It is not going to EVER be fixed, and you must learn to live with it :(

9. Karjala

Karjala Chieftain

Turn off DCM Stack Attack on GlobalDefinesAlt and then artillerys can only attack once per turn.

10. ZeroZeroSix

ZeroZeroSix Prince

The behavior Stevereno81126 is describing as for the artillery happen as well with plane. I did a naval attack with a stack of ships including 1-2 full carriers and all the plane attacked first. In fact there was nothing left for the ships...

11. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

Zero Zero, how does it make you feel when you are trying to play the game and the glitches make it too easy to win?

12. grayson

grayson Chieftain

First I'd like to say that I love this mod, though I haven't even had one patch/update on it since I bought BTS.
    Just to check, I can get this latest version and it will cover all of the former patches, right?

So here's my problem (sounds subtly familiar to others' problems but no clear explanation is given):

I click on a download button, and it has extremely long wait times for a while (I assume thats my internet?). Then, the download either finishes or rushes to the end (but sometimes it is listed as having downloaded the full 407 B). However, if I click on it post-download it says its corupted, and it says there are no files to extract when I unzip it?

Any ideas? I can try to be more explanatory if this was hard to understand....

13. grayson

grayson Chieftain

Fixed on my 11th try!

14. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

I love Stack Attack, but yeah, I'm wondering what to do about this problem. I've made tons of modifications to RtW UE, and I also made Deity way harder...but still, as long as I have enough planes, then all I need to do is draw the enemy (no matter *how* big) to come right outside the city with the planes, and the planes can bombard again and again and again, as long as I keep sacrificing troops to attack the huge enemy stack. Doesn't seem realistic at all.

OTOH, if the enemy has a huge stack in the field, and I have another stack with lots of artillery, I can do this "repeat bombard" garbage at them and wear them down, but if they also have artillery, then they repeat bombard me too! So that balances things out some. If those Chinese infantry had had artillery, it would've been better for them. So maybe this glitch can be excused as a realistic example of what would happen if only one side had artillery? (As for the Sino-Japanese war, I've tried to make that more balanced too, so the Chinese will put up more of a fight in their own way)

And as for the repeat air bombard, as long as the enemy has lots of fighters nearby, then they can try to intercept my bombarding planes. I've got the AI to build more fighters, and that balances that out some too. Still, when I just go overboard with making fighters, I'm able to shoot down theirs and still do repeat air bombard on their troops. Guess that's air superiority, though, right? It takes a buttload of planes now for me to be able to have air superiority, cause the AI's pumping them out too.

But here's a prob I still have: If I've grabbed air superiority, and the enemy attacks with a huge stack with tons of artillery, what I can do is lure them right outside a city with lots of planes, and then empty the city of all ground troops. So then I move 1 troop into the city and then sacrifice him against the enemy stack - because he attacked from the city, the planes repeat bombard, but the enemy's artillery doesn't get to bombard anyone! Because I moved all my guys out of the city, and I just move them to attack from the city one by one. That could be sorta realistic maybe...but the city should get demolished by this. And the planes on the runway should get hurt too, maybe? My point is, I have no problem with repeat-bombard if the enemy can do it too. Artillery can repeat-bombard each other, but artillery can't repeat-bombard against planes.

So does anyone know a way we could make artillery able to damage planes? And a way they could cause damage to buildings/population when they repeat-bombard the troops in a city? I dunno, it's an idea. Thoughts?

And (sorry for the huge post...) I don't think the thing with the aircraft carriers is a glitch. If you have two full carriers, and the enemy stack has none, you *should* be able to pulverize him before your ships even have to attack. That's why it's so important for both sides to have aircraft carriers, and why aircraft carriers became supreme in and after the Pacific War. Right? Maybe the AI needs to be motivated to build more carriers?

15. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

In the 1939 scenario on the deity level, England actually landed troops on the European continent. It happenend in 1945 but that is the first time I have EVER seen England actually do anything productive in this mod. However, in the 1936 global assault, England quite regularly lands troops.

16. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

Yeah, I'm an addict of GA, and England's pretty aggressive there. USA lands troops in Japan and North Africa pretty often too

17. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

USA and Canada are great about landing troops. Even Romania will land troops. England just sucks about landing troops.

18. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

Lol I wonder why that is?

19. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

I was playing as the Germans on this mod and my allies were the Romanians. Later on in the game, the Romanians conquered my home city of Orlando in America. I was picturing Romanian troops marching down the streets of Orlando with their long bows and swords for their military.

20. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

Lol :lol: bows and swords? This was still RtW?