1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Aug 3, 2008.

1. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

Well, I can not picture the Romanian army having much more than bows and swords. I picture them as a bunch of cave men chanting around a fire singing songs to their war chief Lugg.

2. Omathaar

Omathaar Warlord

lol! I like going into WorldBuilder to declare war on my allies once I get powerful enough. Germany vs. Italy is cool. I'm gonna drop a buttload of nukes on Japan as soon as winter ends right now :cool:

3. ipris

ipris Warlord

this is great.
    thank you!

4. mattikatti

mattikatti Chieftain

Hello everybody,

I found A Road to War some months ago and I have played it since. And I don't like it, I can say it now. At first it seemed great, and no doubt remarkable load of work is done for it, but it's not thinked trough, it's not finished, and most important, it's not balanced.

I have found dozens of inaccuracies and bugs and whatever and I'm gonna list here some of them:

- British are too strong
    - USA is too weak
    - German and USSR are too quick in research
    - There are far too many cities too close each other
    - There are too many useless nations and cities
    - Artillery is too strong
    - Tanks are useless
    - AT is too strong
    - Stack attack and bombardment sucks: I don't like at all when I have to after each turn search through all my cities and stacks that are my units vanished suddenly because of what ever bombardment.
    - Cities gets suddenly full fortify rate during attack, after they are bombed to zero
    - Ranged air units are too ranged, U can face fighter defence in very weird places
    - Tank destroyer should absolutely be dependent of vehicle factory
    - Goods factory is too expencive and other factories are too cheap
    - U can airlift everything, which is absolutely wrong
    - Automaticly created units like in CivIII WW2 scenarios would be wery fine, if they are able in CviIV
    - Air units and also almost all units hit points are not thinked through. Upgrades also come too quick. German gets so called modern units too quick.
    - Battleships are too cheap, which is actually common CivIV problem, and they are too vulnerable and weak too
    - It's too easy to sink a ship in port from air
    - It's too difficult to destroy a factory from air

I'm in belief that this scenario is not developed anymore. It's a shame and a pity, because there is more good than bad in this scenario despite of what i have written before. I have not played through all nations but what of them I have played, I'm not satisfied.

I miss the best WW2 scenarios from CivIII, which I played hundreads of hours, maybe thousands. No one has used all the abilities of CIV IV yet to create a real state of the art WW2 scenario. A road to war is close, but it's not as good as it could be. I can't create such a scenario, but my message to them who can is: Listen to other players and use their knowledge!

Blaah, I'm too tired to write more, I'll try to answer, if someone wants debate.

Best regards,
    Hotsiminh

5. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Some comments

- Artillery is too strong Correct - I modded the Units XML file
    - Tanks are useless Correct - I modded the Units XML file - Tanks rule but are now more costly too
    - AT is too strong Correct - I modded the Units XML file
    - Stack attack and bombardment sucks: I don't like at all when I have to after each turn search through all my cities and stacks that are my units vanished suddenly because of what ever bombardment. Turn off Stack Attack
    - Cities gets suddenly full fortify rate during attack, after they are bombed to zero Haven't noticed that - will check
    - Ranged air units are too ranged, U can face fighter defence in very weird places I modded fighters to reduce range
    - Tank destroyer should absolutely be dependent of vehicle factory I modded units file to reflect that
    - Goods factory is too expencive and other factories are too cheap Goods factory represents Military Industrialisation
    - U can airlift everything, which is absolutely wrongTrue I disabled airlift capability in the Building files, but that made Paratroopers useless. You could limit airlift capability to 1 unit per turn
    - Air units and also almost all units hit points are not thinked through. I modded all air units based on wargaming rules
    Upgrades also come too quick. German gets so called modern units too quick. Upgrades are now very expensive and less likely based on my increased costs
    - Battleships are too cheap, which is actually common CivIV problem, and they are too vulnerable and weak too Battleships are now more poweful, but still vulnerable to aircraft
    - It's too easy to sink a ship in port from air Reflects Pearl Harbour and Taranto Air Raids
    - It's too difficult to destroy a factory from air I have no problem wth destroying factories - note modded Unit XML file helped

I'm in belief that this scenario is not developed anymore. It's a shame and a pity, because there is more good than bad in this scenario despite of what i have written before. I have not played through all nations but what of them I have played, I'm not satisfied.NOTE: This scenario was designed for playability and balance not the level of accuracy required for us wargamers

See this thread for an explanation as too why.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=282441

Also see further discussion here.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301679 (which also has a copy of my units file)

However, this is a brilliant scenario and with a few minor tweaks as I have done has made it more realistic for me.

6. mattikatti

mattikatti Chieftain

Good work! I didn’t expect so accurate answer to my notices. I was a little tired and also annoyed when I last posted. Now I have played and also thought more. First I have to correct and comment some of my claims and after that I’ve got a couple of new ones.

- Cities gets suddenly full fortify rate during attack, after they are bombed to zero
    -> Haven't noticed that - will check
    -> That was because of city revolt, shame on me… It happened two or three times before I noticed the reason.
    -> Goods factory represents Military Industrialisation
    -> I guess that means productive cities cannot be build from scratch. Then changes you’ve made should affect that AI builds also advanced units when it can. Now it builds (talking about ground units) only tank destroyers, artillery and rifle units no matter what factories it has.
    -> True I disabled airlift capability in the Building files, but that made Paratroopers useless. You could limit airlift capability to 1 unit per turn
    -> I think airlifts are ok for some units, like rifle units and AT guns. I think Airlift capability is fine as it is, if its three out and five in(?). Paratroopers should be able to airlift like other rifle units, and they should also be able to jump from every city (with or without airport) because civIV doesn’t have airfields (among worker actions).
    - Stack attack and bombardment sucks: I don't like at all when I have to after each turn search through all my cities and stacks that are my units vanished suddenly because of what ever bombardment.
    -> Turn off Stack Attack
    -> I have learned to play with stack attack. However I still don’t like opportunity fire. Can it be disabled without turning of stuck attack, or is it unified with stack attack?

And then:

- What is the purpose of coal plants? They should boost production or give engineer or something. How about 25% boost to production?
    - I can’t build nuclear shelters at all
    - The game is slow. I mean it. My equipment is not on the state of the art level but game is really slow even for a civ game. Saves are 1.7 MB each. I’ve read bitter winter slows it down but I don’t wont to disable it because I like it even it’s sometimes very annoying.
    - Air force base is a compromise. Is it possible to add new building “airfield” to replace worker capability to build airfields? New airfield could able airlifts (for example one in and one out per turn) and free airdrops for paratroopers and it should be something like one third of costs of air force base. Air force base then could give those experience points to air units and more airlifts (for example three out and five in). After that paratroopers of course shouldn’t be able to jump from all cities freely.
    - What is the purpose of Ideology? I don’t see any good following when spreading it. Ideology in city should give one experience point or something. Those propaganda units are even very expensive to build.

After all we deal with very fine scenario. I am almost finished with my Rtw ultimate edition open play world 1936 as Americans. After that I’m going to try your changes. It can take some time. I’m not very willing to try a great number of games to test changes, so I hope your changes appeal good. However they look really fine and are absolutely worth of trying.

PS.

Your postscript is frightening true, I live to play civ too, unfortunately…

7. DoubleRD77

DoubleRD77 Warlord

Can you guys post an upload link to the modifications you made? I would like to download your modifications so that I can play too :( with a better game than I have

8. kiwitt

9. kiwitt

That's OK.

-> Goods factory represents Military Industrialisation
    -> I guess that means productive cities cannot be build from scratch. Then changes you’ve made should affect that AI builds also advanced units when it can. Now it builds (talking about ground units) only tank destroyers, artillery and rifle units no matter what factories it has.

NOTE: My mod even limits Artillery to Capital Cities and Modern Artillery has been replaced by the "Maus" :D

-> True I disabled airlift capability in the Building files, but that made Paratroopers useless. You could limit airlift capability to 1 unit per turn
    -> I think airlifts are ok for some units, like rifle units and AT guns. I think Airlift capability is fine as it is, if its three out and five in(?). Paratroopers should be able to airlift like other rifle units, and they should also be able to jump from every city (with or without airport) because civIV doesn’t have airfields (among worker actions).

Actually Forts can act as Airfields but not Airbases.

I might see if there is a parameter to "Deny" Airlift to particular unit types.

-> Turn off Stack Attack
    -> I have learned to play with stack attack. However I still don’t like opportunity fire. Can it be disabled without turning of stuck attack, or is it unified with stack attack?

I prefer the *Long Game* and individual attacks. And opportunity fire is handy when you occupy the Channel Cities and passing ships go by.

And then:

- What is the purpose of coal plants? They should boost production or give engineer or something. How about 25% boost to production?

I have changed the default from 10% production boost to 25%

- I can’t build nuclear shelters at all

Nor me. May tweak them in later.

- The game is slow. I mean it. My equipment is not on the state of the art level but game is really slow even for a civ game. Saves are 1.7 MB each. I’ve read bitter winter slows it down but I don’t wont to disable it because I like it even it’s sometimes very annoying.

I too stuggled on an Athlon 1800 XP/3GB Ram/6600GT 128-22"/7,200 rpm HDD x 2 and did turn off Bitter Winter.

I now have an i7/6GB Ram/HD 4870 512-22" LCD/10,000 rpm HDD and it is still quite slow for me during Bitter Winter - 20-30 secs turn wait. But considering that the map has to be repainted and still do it's other AI actions, I'll live with it to re-enact WWII.

- Air force base is a compromise. Is it possible to add new building “airfield” to replace worker capability to build airfields? New airfield could able airlifts (for example one in and one out per turn) and free airdrops for paratroopers and it should be something like one third of costs of air force base. Air force base then could give those experience points to air units and more airlifts (for example three out and five in). After that paratroopers of course shouldn’t be able to jump from all cities freely.

I have not looked at tweaking Airbases much, except as mentioned earlier.

- What is the purpose of Ideology? I don’t see any good following when spreading it. Ideology in city should give one experience point or something. Those propaganda units are even very expensive to build.

Actually, you get very good spy results, by seeing how many units the enemy has

After all we deal with very fine scenario. I am almost finished with my Rtw ultimate edition open play world 1936 as Americans. After that I’m going to try your changes. It can take some time. I’m not very willing to try a great number of games to test changes, so I hope your changes appeal good. However they look really fine and are absolutely worth of trying.

I have played quite a number of changes and will continue to tweak them, but TBH, I do prefer playing the game. So my changes need to ensure that the game remains challenging.

PS.

Your postscript is frightening true, I live to play civ too, unfortunately ...

I have always played wargames since I was a kid (nearly 40 years of playing now) and CIV IV with Road to War allow me to continue this enjoyment.

10. evran

evran Chieftain

Hello, I like this mod but theres one things that annoys me.... How the nations are named in the sidescoreboard and by the game. The side score board is ok as it says germany, japan USA USSR etc, but in trade screens and notifications at the top its the leader names. And I'm sorry, but I know alot of the leaders but I don't who's at war when it says (President bennes has declared war on king whatever.) Is there to change this so it shows the nation and leader in the trade screens, but the nation name when notifications at the top saying so and so declared war or peace.

11. Dale

Dale Deity

kiwitt:

I changed airlift to be that way so that in the scenarios USA would be able to airlift an army to Europe / Pacific.

12. kiwitt

Good point: I had already reversed it in my own mini-mod.

13. Dale

Dale Deity

Yeah the ships airlifting was literally because the US refused to airlift an army across.

*shhhhh* There's a tiny piece of SDK code that if the US is not human and the war is started and limited to the other side of the map, that it will quadruple the priority to airlift units. ;) */shhhhh*

14. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Sorry, I am a newb to RtW. How can I change from Historical Timing to random or free? Thanks.

15. kiwitt

It'll ask you in turn 2 what you want.

16. evran

evran Chieftain

Does no one know how to do this? even Dale!!? lol
    but seriously, how come no friendly replies yet, even if its a i don't know.

17. kiwitt

You need to edit some XML files. I may consider this in my Mini-Mod. Because it is a good idea exspecially for the lesser nations that people do not hnow who was leading them.

18. evran

evran Chieftain

Well if you'd do that then I'd deff download.

19. Dale

Dale Deity

I know how to do it, I'm just not going to. :)

20. evran

evran Chieftain

lol oh
    can yu tell me how to do it, like tell me which files need editing.