The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Ah, the dreaded unpredictable Vikings... In fact I tried to make them more aggressive in the updated version - that was why I made them more powerful, because that (in theory) encourages the AI to be more aggressive. They are very unpredictable. But I like to think that makes things more interesting! Perhaps.

[iron0037] Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad you like the scenario. In response to your queries...

(1) You're not supposed to be able to win a Cultural Victory. The idea is that the Irish, if unchallenged, will win a Cultural Victory and defeat you. So you have to prevent them from doing that by ensuring that, by the time they reach 5,000 cultural points, you have at least 2,500. Because, of course, a Cultural Victory requires having at least twice the culture of your nearest challenger. So you're meant to go all-out building culture in the early game to prevent the Irish from winning. You're not meant to win that way yourself. It's probably possible to do so if you keep on playing in that way for the whole game, but that's not the intention. A good way to get lots of culture is to make a beeline for the Warrior Hall, then stay in Pagan Monarchy for quite a while, and use the Pagan Thegns to get lots of Trophies. But doing this for too long will mean you fall behind in techs, because research goes much faster under a Christian Monarchy.

(2) I didn't really think about it, to be honest... let's just say that terrain improvements in this scenario represent more modest structures than in the main game!

(3) I'm not sure there are any roads through Hadrian's Wall in real life...

(4) I think this is hard-coded, but I have to say it didn't occur to me to try to change it, as I never look at those figures anyway. But you're right that it looks odd. Just another of those things!

(5) Yes, that's a bugger too. Sorry about that, but there's not much I can do.

does anyone know if theres a civ4 version?

does anyone know if theres a civ4 version?

Why not just drop the thirty bucks for Complete :) . I got Civ4. It cost me double that plus tech upgrades, all so in case they make something t I feel's worth playing, I can hit it up on the spot. Expensive luxery for me no doubt but for you, its only thirty bucks! With that measly money you can even go bigger and badder(more AI vs AI wars) to boot :)

-but to answer you question, no. I imagine the maker would agree the CIv4 console woudn't do this work any additional justice. It perfect in its current state and likes its home here

Sorry @kristopherb, Im might have sounded arrogant with my remarks, Im actually looking out for your best intrests! Im presuming you like history somewhat and the pedia is very adapt to enrich your knowledge of previous world events, while the engine emerses you in smooth ' real empire ' feel ,using both nation and army sizes that are more on point then what the latest masterpeice(civ4) can deliver. (at least without getting to shaky in the later stages)

This scenario and many more (notably others by the same auther) cover almost every world event in glorious detail and are crafted to a higher quality then what Firaxis had time for in their box set of Conquest sceanrios

Food to feed the habit once you've aquired a more stategic ' hands on' taste and a Pedia equipt to better expand the mind at the same time. Please don't take my word try a free sample download but you should really try to pick up a copy if its on sale or something

Take care and sorry no ill intent. If you prefer the other game thats cool, were all Civer's on the same side here :)

Plotinus,

I would have emailed you but I didn't spot any documentation with the pack. That's ok, I'm going to feed your ego here so maybe it's best that it's public :p

I've played a lot of dfferent mods for a lot of different PC games in my time. Some of them have been alright, some of them have been decent, some of them have been great. Not a single one of them has held a candle to the sheer magnificence of The Rood and the Dragon. This was possibly the single greatest thing I could ever find in video game form.

I'm an English major with a minor in History and Antiquity and Early English history are two of my favorite subjects within the field. I love works like Beowulf and I could read accounts of the historical events all day long. I don't claim to know a LOT about the time period, but I do have a love for it. Being able to play as one of the Anglo-Saxon tribes in pre-Norman England...it was just magnificent.

This scenario exceeded my expectations in every area. I thought nothing could be as enjoyable as the Conquests scenarios - Napoleonic Wars, Sengoku Era, etc. I loved them all. Yet not one of them could hold a candle to this sweeping epic. The unique unit designs, the fully functioning Civipedia (I did notice one or two bad entries ;_; the army page linked me to the Pentagon...or tried to anyway). The custom leader portraits. It was all amazing.

The scenario itself was just a well designed and researched depiction of Anglo-Saxon England. It was also incredibly fun. I played as Kent and I had a huge war raging across the whole Island between the old Roman remenants and their lackies and a bunch of smaller Saxon tribes that were intimidated by my huge army :) (I'd already crushed a couple of my neighbors. I burned London to the ground kekeke). Unfortunately I didn't take Ireland into account and lost via cultural victory. I had such a good time though that it didn't bother me.

I don't even want to think of the years you've invested into this with no compensation except the gratitude of those that have played it...but you have my gratitude. Thank you for creating a scenario that I suspect I'll be playing for a long time to come. It's a fantastic creation, and you should be proud, even if the only people that are going to know about it these days are us nerds who still play Civ III because we haven't bought Civ IV yet :p

Thanks Plotinus, I love the map

(Did I grovel enough? :p)

Wow, thank you for the comments! I'm very glad you liked it. As I said somewhere else, I just made the scenarios that I wanted to play. Of course that's pretty counterproductive really, because having made it you're thoroughly sick of it and the last thing you want to do is play it, but it's very gratifying that other people like it. I thought the Anglo-Saxons would be a fun subject for a Civ III scenario and hopefully help to make their culture that bit more well known - even if only among nerds whose computers won't run Civ IV!

My computer will run Civ IV, but I haven't seen anything about Civ IV that makes me want to place that demand upon my computer...Having looked at the Civ IV forums, I much prefer the graphics and interface of Civ III - only the Warlords expansion has tempted me even a little in that heretical direction!

I've downloaded the game.
I'm currently downloading the music.
But I can't download the patch, page cannot be displayed is all I get:cry:
Anywhere else I can get the patch from?

Patch downloaded succesfully. Already started the gane late last night (couldn't wait), will the patch work with saved games or should I start over?

Don't have to be in work until 11am tomorrow so may look forward to a rood awakening:p (groan)

Queen Bertha here.

Just wanted to say thanks.
I did not read too much about the update so I could be surprised.
Surprised I am. It is even more difficult to find the right balance.
I'm only somewhere in the 2nd era
but trying to defend while rapidly expanding,
fighting all those sexes to keep them small and weak until they're mine,
while trying to stay in the culture race and out of bankruptcy
is almost beyond me. And that nasty effect of civil disobedience!

I'm thriving and surviving
but wondering about those Norsemen.
Hope the Irishers (or myself) do not get a cultural victory before
they are due to arrive.

I love the new tech tree, especially the Spirit house and those wizards.
And glad I still get those drunk little wanderers who pester trespassers
and make free workers.

Can't wait to see what happens.........

I am only playing on Egbert Thegn level.
Anything higher I don't think I'd let anyone know the results....

I certainly don't mean to be paranoid, but when I download the file, it takes me to a website called "3D Downloads.com." Is this safe?

Yes it's safe. It's just a filehosting/sharing site where Plotinus has uploaded his scenario.

Thanks, KingArthur.

Oh, and Plotinus? Hopefully you won't mind if I steal extensively and shamelessly from your scenario for a celtic-type scenario of my own.

Top Bottom