The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Well, it's beyond me. Has it only happened the once?

2. GrandEmperorX3

GrandEmperorX3 Chieftain

happened multiple times everytime i try to cap the city.

3. mcEvilly

mcEvilly Chieftain

Wow. Absolutely fun scenario. Like the feel and challenge of this.

4. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

I have just recently discovered user made scenarios, and I absolutely love this one!
    After sorting out patch file problems, I started playing it. After a couple of aborted attempts where I made stupid decisions, I am finally well into the game, about to finish doing all of the research.
    I am playing on regent, and thankfully the Vikings haven't attacked me yet, but it was scary as hell playing as Essex and controlling the entire south east part of Britain and being right at the end of the sea road and seeing dozens of Norse and Danish ships come zipping through.

I have gone to the trouble to read this entire thread, in search of a specific answer. About 5 pages back someone mentioned that Christian Thegns should be upgradable to Sokesmen according to the pedia, but that they are not able to be upgraded.

Please, let me know what the answer is.
    I intentionally did not build Sokesmen with the intention of upgrading my Christian Thegns, and now wish I had done differently. At this stage of the scenario I am pounding out Huscarls so its a moot point, but it would be nice if the pedia matched the actual game play.

Many folks have offered their praise for Plotinus and this scenario, and all I can say is I completely agree. Late Antiquity/Early Medieval history is my favorite time period, and this scenario is EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.
    Thanks so much !:)

5. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

I think this is the first time I've had a problem installing and playing a scenario or mod. I DL the main file and the patch from AtomicGamer and the RoodMP.biq and tried to play. I got an error message saying that Art\Flics\RE.07.flc was missing and sure enough, it's not the the flc folder but it is listed in the editor.

Also, only 5 playable civs show up when I start the game: Mercia, E. Anglia, Northumbria, Wessex and Kent. I had this scenario before the update and played it quite often and didn't have a single problem...am I missing something obvious?

6. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

The only .flc files in the Flics folder I can see beginning with "R" are RB_A01 and RB_A02, and my game works perfectly.

I think only 5 civs are supposed to be playable :)

7. Plotinus

[thebigcurve] Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad you like the scenario. With the Sokesman, I simply don't remember what I intended. I probably meant it to be as it is stated in the pedia. I shall have a look and see what seems best.

[Hrafnkell] There should certainly be more civs than that. I'm not sure what could be causing this; I assume you've put everything where it should be. The only thing I can think of is that the download got corrupted somehow. Try downloading it again and see if it works any better.

8. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

Thanks Plotinus. I'll try it again and see what happens when today's football playoffs are over. I really want to try the scenario again with all the changes you've made. It was great before and it stands to reason it will be better now.

9. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

I decided to man up and play on the monarch level, with the highest A.I. aggression, and went with Mercia because I am so fond of industrious civs.
    I was going along nicely, beating up on Powys and Gwynned with stacks of Athelings when I was handed a nice and sudden cultural loss.
    I tried it again, and did less fighting, more building, and got culture beat again.
    Just now I have tried Offa the Third, and got so frustrated I just quit the game when my workers got nabbed by a barbarian. If I get up the gumption to try it again, I have all of my starting moves perfected, and we shall see how things go.
    GRRRR!:mad:

10. Ciceronian

Ciceronian Latin Scholar

Yeah, you need to make sure you produce plenty of culture, or the Irish always win. Great scenario btw Plotinus! I've got to play it again one of these days.

11. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Well you could always go here and raise the limit :mischief:
    Spoiler :

You see being of strong Irish desent I felt to cap Ireland with a tiny Cultural limit was a insult to its vast cultural heritage and influnce.
    If by raising the bar so to speak, this opens up a better chance for less glorious cultures like the one Im forced to choose, get a foothold in the game then oh well, I will just have to put up with it :goodjob:

12. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of all things Irish, and am well aware that there would be zero culture in the British Isles now if the Irish hadn't been so awesome at this time period of history.
    I refuse to "cheat" in order to succeed.
    I shall just have to keep trying.
    In reality, I see this as a bit of a puzzle to solve, getting just the right amounts of expansion, culture, defense etc. in balance.

God Bless Ireland!

13. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Slight exaggeration here?

14. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

Yes, I agree with you, I have exaggerated England's lack of its own culture quite a bit.
    I do find it quite ironic though that whenever one sees something "British" in film or on television, quite often it includes bagpipes and men in kilts, cultural phenomena of the Celtic peoples who were conquered by the Norman French rulers of England.
    When I try to think of "English culture," the most I can come up with is the fine beer brewed there,Shakespeare, greasy or boiled food and various sports such as association football, rugby and cricket.
    I wonder what if any culture remains from the Anglo-Saxons. Britain is such a crazy mess of layers of peoples and cultures that it is hard to identify specific things from specific cultural groups. So much of "Englishness" as we think of it today was imported by the Normans I wonder what is left from the Anglo-Saxons.

15. Plotinus

British culture, and particularly that part of it we call English culture, is a massive mixture of influences from all over the place - not least because the people themselves are from all over the place. The traditional self-understanding of the English is that they're basically Anglo-Saxons with an infusion of Normans, and otherwise have remained unconquered and largely unmingled since the fifth century AD, but of course this is just a myth. After all, what could be more English than the potato - an American vegetable - or tea - a Chinese bush. Does anything of Anglo-Saxon culture remain? Well, I don't know - play the scenario some more and see if anything looks familiar. We don't have warlords giving gold rings to their warriors any more, but perhaps some of the religious ideas are still around. Not so much the pagan ones (modern pagans are influenced, in part, by Anglo-Saxon paganism, but that's more of a reconstruction than a continuous line of influence) as the Christian ones. In structure and character the Church of England today still has many features of its Anglo-Saxon predecessor; we still have archbishops at Canterbury and York, for example.

16. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I really don't have time to labour the point, but will the English language do? Yes yes yes, there are many influences, and Anglo-Saxon words are a small proportion of the total vocabulary, but of the 100 most commonly spoken English words, all but two are Anglo-Saxon, and the exceptions are both Norse. IIRC you have to get down to 105-107 for 'just' and 'people' respectively.

I'm still wondering how England was and would remain 'cultureless' if not for the Irish.

17. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Sorry I didn't mean to touch off any debate, I was kidding. I used a spoiler to not run fun for some but Hey whos cheating? :D
    I might have made amends in other areas to make up for it? You just don't know. Pickin the weakest civ and raising the default is the same as using the best civ and stickin with the culture defaut. Also I play monarch so if someone plays below this difficulty does that make me less a cheater compared to them?
    So many variables to consider before call someone a less of a cheater. Reloadin is another . Say someone who abides by the original cultural limit does this more then the guy who raised it? What then right lol

Bah all besides the point. Cheating is reloadin. See I wanted to enjoy the mod to the fullest capabilty and being stressed by a strick cultual test wasn't best for the game I wanted. I wanted to conquer and learn about the cultures Not be beaten by a nation far away that has no effect on the map at play

Its all ones personal opinon

18. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

Actually, Depravo, I am quite glad that your reminded me of the English language. Mea Culpa... (Damn Romans, lending us phrases)
    Indeed, the language itself is quite a cultural remnant.
    In my previous post I freely admitted that the Irish are not the sole bringers of culture to the Isles. That would be ridiculous.
    I was being dramatic and using hyperbole in my thoughts.
    Actually, I don't disagree with you, I just think its funny that "English" is such an obscure word but still gets used today to describe things that are clearly not truly purely English any longer.
    The giant layered salad that is Britain is fascinating to me, to no end.

19. Cloner4000

Cloner4000 Call of Duty

Or if you are lucky, the viking will took care of the Irish for you...they wipe Irish out completely...I have very very happy until I realize they are gunning for me next....T_T

20. thebigcurve

thebigcurve Chieftain

So, just this morning I finished winning as Mercia on Monarch with aggression set to Penda. I busted my rear amassing culture and then it was on.
    As has been said earlier in this thread, I didn't get everything researched, and had to win the game with Sokesmen and Mounted Thegns, no Huscarls or Knights. The weirdest thing was that neither the Norse nor the Danes ever started a war with anyone in Britain or Ireland. The Norse demanded 24 gold and my territory map once, and when I acquiesced, I had no further aggression from them. I guess its conceivable that they wouldn't attack, and as much as I enjoyed being able to avoid them, I am still itching to see how well I would do in retaking my cities that the Berserkers had taken from me. I guess I shall just have to play again.