The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

They only get a 3 defender so it's easy to take their VP locations in Scotland but I don't remember there being anything worth conquering in Ireland. The Saxons have to wait forever to get an amphibious unit to capture their wonder as well which is obsolete at that point. I usually am not able to conquer too many people in my games to consider complete domination :sad:

Absolutely amazing... love it... am playing it obsessively, and I think Tolkien would be proud:)

"If your enemy occupies a large, well-positioned fortress, endeavour to see that he remains there"

@areon: they're worth conquering in order to stop them winning :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever tried attacking the Irish? Can't be that hard, can it?

hmmmmm...

actually... you can't attack them until you can build boats... the first time I played this was as the South Saxons, and by the time I'd conquered Kent and built a few ships the Irish had won a cultural victory...

"If the enemy has an impregnable fortress, see that he remains there"

I'm more than happy for people to bump threads in order to say how brilliant I am!

(You shouldn't make multiple posts in a row, though, so I have merged them together.)

sorry:blush:... had an incident where I accidentally quoted the wrong person and posted before I realised, hence the two posts about Ireland. The first post was a day or two earlier... Incidentally, I had to fix the scenario when playing as Beta Israel because the art files for assassin were missing. I just used the ninja from Sekogu as a replacement...

please forgive the over-posting:cry:

sorry:blush:... had an incident where I accidentally quoted the wrong person and posted before I realised, hence the two posts about Ireland. The first post was a day or two earlier... Incidentally, I had to fix the scenario when playing as Beta Israel because the art files for assassin were missing. I just used the ninja from Sekogu as a replacement...

Beta Israel is not in this scenario... It's in The Desert & the Mountain. There's another thread for that.

Thanks for bumping Plotinus' great scenarios, though.:goodjob: I've been thinking for awhile that their threads needed a bump.

This scenario is fantastic as it is; so let's establish that before I make a suggestion!!

I was wondering if you had considered doing a kind of "graphics update" for the scenario as there are so many more units, leaderheads, interfaces etc available these days - not least your own workers and settlers?

Hey,

Sorry, but had to put my 2 cents in. A bump of a past scenario even if years old is needed on a forum like this. They are the old toys as we get new ones. They are still great to play with. Plus some new member might just miss a scenario that would make them all warm & fuzzy. You know, that one scenario you play over & over & over. I have one from here that I'm sure is way back in the depth of the threads. To me its my thing. I have been playing it for years. Game after game. Personally there are a few others that need bumped. :D

You just can't keep a good scenario down! :run:

Blaze Injun

This scenario is fantastic as it is; so let's establish that before I make a suggestion!!

I was wondering if you had considered doing a kind of "graphics update" for the scenario as there are so many more units, leaderheads, interfaces etc available these days - not least your own workers and settlers?

I'm planning on doing an up-to-date anglo-saxon scenario... the thread should be going up in a cupla minutes... if you're interested :)

Hey,

Sorry, but had to put my 2 cents in. A bump of a past scenario even if years old is needed on a forum like this. They are the old toys as we get new ones. They are still great to play with. Plus some new member might just miss a scenario that would make them all warm & fuzzy. You know, that one scenario you play over & over & over. I have one from here that I'm sure is way back in the depth of the threads. To me its my thing. I have been playing it for years. Game after game. Personally there are a few others that need bumped. :D

You just can't keep a good scenario down! :run:

Blaze Injun
I'm ok with this, it's just that I felt these three posts like a try at improving one's post counter with not-so-useful posts. But saying that a good scenario is good is ok with me :)

Yes, it's been on the to-do list for a long time. But it's so hard finding the time!

Any chance for a civ 4 and civ 5 version? I think you could do wonders with Python. I rather doubt Civ 5 will ever be "good" though.

First of all: Thank you Plotinus for giving me many hours solid entertainment, and also founding my interest in Anglo-Saxon England. This scenario was actually the main reason why I picked up CIV III again.

Now, once I started the playing again, I noticed that since last time a few things has changed. Most of these for the better, but I do have a few questions:

1) Why have the Irish become so weak in military terms? While their spearman is ahead of time until the Anglo-Saxons reach Local Arms they get no upgrades, and the Celtic Swordsman is twice as expensive in shields as the Waelas Swordsman while they have the same stats (Also, on a related note, why is it tied to Horseback Riding? Not that it really matters but it puzzels me). They used to have Gallowglass(es) when first I discovered this scenario, and these were among, if not the, strongest units in the game. Where have these mail-clad princes gone?

2) Why is it that the British Archer is called just that, while both spearman and swordsman changes from British to Waelas as they upgrade?

3) Is there any reason why several (Brewery, Bead-Smith and Metal-Smith, if memory serves) buildings according to the civilopedia leads to more happy faces from luxuries, while infact none of them does so?

Yet again, thank you for an insanely good scenario!

Thanks for your comments - I'm glad the scenario has successfully kept people playing Civ and introduced them to the Anglo-Saxon world!

I'm actually not sure what the answers to your questions are. I'm in the process of revamping this scenario right now with many new graphics that have been produced since I made it, and I'm wondering myself what I was thinking with the British/Waelas thing, and what happened to the Galloglass. I think I removed it because it wasn't really historically appropriate. I may have downgraded the Irish military because I simply didn't want them to be too militarily powerful later on. I don't know what happened with the buildings you mentioned - they ought to work in the same way as the Marketplace in normal Civ - maybe they increase happy faces from the luxury slider rather than from luxury resources?

(I really ought to examine these things a little more closely - I've forgotten so much!)

The problem with the Irish is that as it is they are now, by the time one reaches Christian Warfare, quite easy to conquor. In the last game I played as Wessex, I noticed that I lacked both wool and gold, and I decided that I, overtime, would have to conquor Mercia to remedy this. However, due to a demand for tribute that I had no interest in paying, I ended up in a war with the Irish as well. I had some æthlings to spare, so I decided that I might as well bring the war to their shores, and with little or no trouble I actually won myself a scource of wool. As it stands now, I have only two things against a complete conquest: That there is no scource of gold and that it offends my sense of historical realism.

Also, was it not towards the end of this period that the Irish displaced the Picts in (what we now call) Scotland? This might call for them to be slightly stronger.

As for the buildings, I went through them in the editor, and that is exactly what they do. Were they meant to increase the happiness from luxury recources? If that is the case, I could do a trial run to see if the bonus does indeed stack when there are several buildings providing it.

At any rate, a revamped Anglo-Saxon scenario is the best piece of news in a long time!

It sounds like giving the Irish better defenders later on would be a sensible change, at the very least.

I don't think that the buildings are meant to increase happiness from luxury resources - I'm not sure if this is possible (again, I don't quite remember!). But any testing/recommendation is very welcome.

I don't think that the buildings are meant to increase happiness from luxury resources - I'm not sure if this is possible (again, I don't quite remember!).

It is quite possible. Afterall that is what the marketplace does in the regular game. The first two luxuries gives 1 happy face each, the next two gives 2, the 5th and 6th gives 3 happy faces each, and so forth until the 8th.

But yes, stronger defenders to the Irish seems a good idea.

Yet again, thank for you the whole scenario, and also for taking the time to read my wellmeant criticism.

"+50% Luxuries" makes the city increase its output towards the luxury slider by 50%. "Increases Luxury Trade" increases the amount of happiness gained from luxury resources.

Top Bottom