The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Well you can use the editor to just take Cultural Victories off the table, but otherwise I suggest you build a Barrow as soon as you build/conquer a city and try to build Hnefatafl Halls and Spirit Houses, etc. whenever you can spare the military production for that particular city.

2. sepamu92

sepamu92 Prince

The Irish begin the game ridiculously far ahead in culture. The whole point is that you have to build up your culture to combat them, since for a victory you need twice as much culture as the next highest civ.

3. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

I still think the culture limit should be higher. Maybe 7500. I had such a disappointment playing as Sussex, going on a rampage(with all my cities having Barrows and Ealhs) only to have the Irish pull a culture victory. I didn't even get to see the Vikings. By the way, in almost every game my Hermitage is disbanded for lack of funds. Ideas?

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

If you don't get to see the Vikings you should be glad. I'd rather take as little sea-fronting tiles as possible.

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Retired Moderator

Thanks for the comments, Borisinboro.

On cultural victories, yes, you have to make sure you have a strong culture or the Irish will win. In Civ III, a cultural victory is achieved when one civ reaches the appropriate number of cultural points - provided they have at least twice as many as their nearest rival. So in this scenario, you must have at least half the cultural points as the Irish by the time they reach the target, or they will win. That means you must maximise your culture in the early part of the game, both by building lots of cultural buildings and also by going to war with Pagan Thegns as much as possible. You can't win a cultural victory yourself but you can stop the Irish doing so.

Also, it is paradoxically easier to do this on higher difficulty levels, because the Anglo-Saxon AI is stronger and more likely to build up significant culture itself. That means that the Irish may fail to win a cultural victory even if the player does nothing about it.

On the golf-hole flyover music, I don't think there's anything one can do about that. That's just how the game is made!

On the Hermitage, it really shouldn't be disbanded for lack of funds, because it costs no funds. I was annoyed to find that this happens and I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. However, as Takhisis said, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're running that low on funds, that is itself a more serious issue. You should avoid having too many troops for your cities to support. One way to achieve this is by having a smaller army. Another is by conquering other people's cities. I'll leave it to you to decide which of these is the optimum strategy.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Conquering other people's cities is a good option. Try to leave coastal defensive swathes if they're inaccessible unless you really feel you can defend them. Coves, etc. where only 1 or 2 sea tiles are in contact with your city are quite welcome, too. Otherwise you might spend a lot of time reconquering cities. While historically accurate, this'd be highly impractical.

Mounted Thegns are quite useful as a mobile defense force, station them in strategic locations where you've got all invasion points covered; also keep one or two in every border city so that you can chase down retreating opponents and/or lash out at invading troops as they close in, your roads will give you a nice mobility advantage that should ensure your cavalry is always out of their reach but their troops are always within yours. Try to get Offa's Dyke built, defensive bonuses always come in handy.

7. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Thanks for the advice, although usually my strategy is to build loads of troops and wait until the last minute until declaring war on one civ, which relieves the strain of support costs, then build up my army some more, then got to war with the next civ. Losing a worker or a barracks wouldn't be that big a deal, but the fact that the hermitage is the first to go is a bit of a letdown. In my own biq I did raise the culture limit to 7500, just so I can finish a complete game without the Irish winning. After I'm done I'll put it back to 5000.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

You can change the .biq back since the savegame doesn't read the .biq for that.

9. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Correct. However, I'll wait until I'm done, just in case I lose:mischief:

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

You can go back to an earlier savegame…

11. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

the new version is epic... I'd got obsessed with the 'classic' version and now I've got a new fix :D

12. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

It is very good, indeed. I should mention I just finished my game as Northumbria, and won a VP victory in the year 927, without having seen any viking marauders, despite having posted sentry ships at the two seaways to Scandinavia.

13. Lucretius

Lucretius Chieftain

I am revisiting CIV III after a long absence. I saw this scenario and it looks great. I downloaded and unzipped it in the correct file, but when I opened the game, it is not there to open. Obviously, I am doing something wrong, but what?

I have neen reading Bernard Cornwell's Northmen saga, so this interested me. Hopefully, you can help.

14. Plotinus

I'm not sure. The folder entitled "Rood" and the biq file also entitled "Rood" should be placed in your Scenarios folder. Then, when you start the game, you should choose "Civ Content" from the main menu, and it should be in there. If you're still having problems let us know!

15. Lucretius

Lucretius Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. When I unzipped the files, they went into a subfile. Which do you recommend, the Rood classic or Rood?

16. Plotinus

Rood, naturally!

17. Maimonides

Maimonides Emperor

I just finished my 1st game of the updated version:

Played as Essex. Plan was to conquer the other Ango-Saxon kingdoms before turning on the Romano-British since they get weaker as time goes by. I kept friendly relations with Pictavia & Ireland through establishing embassies ASAP & ROPs. My order of conquest was Kent, Sussex, East Anglia, Wessex, Mercia, Hwicce, Lindsey. Was about to eliminate Lindsey when I won a Cultural Victory in 963.

The new Hermitage war trigger worked between me & the Norse which gave me contact with them. They never reached the shores of Britain at all, though, even though we had another war between us in the 9th century when they tried to extort me. They also went to war with Northumbria for awhile, but, again, they never crossed the seas to actually fight.

Denmark never made contact with Britain or even Norway as far as I could tell. They were a tad ahead of me on the Power graph at the end.

As far as other AI wars, Deira & Lindsey fought one which cost Lindsey a city, but that was it.

My tech research didn't progress as far as it should have because I let my military get too big. I was just about to start researching the Christianity techs when I won.

The graphical updates look great! Thanks once again for posting this for us to enjoy! Very engaging & lots of fun!

18. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

The new and improved Rood is an excellent update to what was already a superb simulation. Well done!

19. AltSteve1990

AltSteve1990 Chieftain

Too bad I don't have Civ 3 anymore, though. Wonder if anyone'll make a Civ II version?

20. Plotinus

They're more than welcome to if they want to, although I wouldn't hold my breath. Better to pick up Civ III again at the very cheap price it can now be had for!