1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Ceapmann

Ceapmann Chieftain

I am a HUGE fan of this scenario, as I'm also a fan of Anglo-Saxon history. I kept getting that "diplomatic defeat" thing for apparently no reason, so I downloaded the patch attached to the original post in this thread. However, I don't know which folder to put it in. I can't wait to win this scenario. It especially gets fun when leagues of kingdoms go against each other at once.

Ceapmann

2. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Doesn't it come with instructions?

3. Ceapmann

Ceapmann Chieftain

I tried to find instructions in the post that contained the download, but it only contains credits. Perhaps there's another patch somewhere I need to download, or I downloaded the wrong thing.

Bottom of the second post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=105759

I copied it and placed it in almost every folder related to this scenario I could, but I still keep getting a diplomatic defeat. It always happens a little after a lot of civs, including mine, make the jump to to the second age, "Christianity Arrives".

4. Takhisis

If you click said link it'll lead you to the download file in the database with all the installation instructions…

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

That patch is outdated - it refers to an earlier version of the scenario. In fact I've removed it now, to avoid confusion.

The only one you need is the main download itself. I'm not sure what's causing your problem, though. If memory serves, there should be no diplomatic victory in this game. Are you sure it's not a cultural victory? Ireland will win a culture victory if you don't build up your own culture enough to prevent it. If you're having difficulty with this you can either edit the file yourself to turn off culture victories, or play on a harder difficulty level (paradoxically - playing on a harder difficulty level means that the AI Anglo-Saxon kingdoms are much better at building up their own culture, which is often enough to prevent the Irish from taking a culture victory).

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Sorry for the bump, but there is a reason for it.

I would like to ask that my name is removed from the Credits in the first page of this mod (i believe only in the second post). I do ask this because i wish no longer to be associated with it.

(edited many days later, since the issue has been resolved)

7. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

:confused: Could you explain a bit further why you don't want to be credited for something you have created ?

8. Kyriakos

I do not think i can,

(edited many days later, since the issue has been resolved)

9. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

Ok... none of my business anyway. Just curious.

10. Plotinus

OK - easily done.

11. Kyriakos

Thank you. I feel that i have sufficiently voiced my antipathy for my name or work to be used in your mod. I consider this matter as utterly resolved now :)

12. Acronym

Acronym Warlord

Thank you for a wonderful scenario - I have had a huge amount of fun playing this, and have learnt an awful lot that I never knew before. I'm continuously amazed at the longevity of Civ3 with mods like this (I've still not really got into Civ4 because of it), and at how much one can learn from playing a game with such a dedicated and diverse fan-base. I've been so inspired that I've ended up getting deep into a book on the subject - something I would never have got around to reading otherwise.

I'm currently playing as Northumbria (only on Ceorl, I'm afraid) and have reached 735AD while keeping the Irish in check culturally. I didn't hang around long before invading our neighbours the Deirans, and with the troops getting restless after that war ended, I spilled over into the lands of Lindsey. I'm now signing Mutual Protection Pacts with the bigger Romano-British tribes and trying to get Rheged to declare war on me to bring them all in on him! No sign of the Danes yet, but I'm painfully aware of how underdefended my Eastern coastline is...

One small problem I've encountered (which may be a bug or may be my ignorance) is that I cannot seem to get the Wizard unit to bombard - there just doesn't seem to be a command available for him to do so. I think there is usually a button on catapult-type units for bombard, but no such button for the Wizard. Is this right?

Otherwise, though, the scenario has worked flawlessly, and for the record does so even on a Mac (with no need for convoluted work-arounds)!

So just another quick thank you for all your hard work, Plontius and everyone else who worked on this!

13. Plotinus

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you're enjoying the scenario, even after all these years!

With the Wizard, I think (if memory serves) that he has a defensive bombard only. That means that if he's in a stack of units that are attacked, he will automatically bombard the attackers before they get their go - but you can't command him to do a normal bombard. The idea is that he's giving some protection to troops under attack.

14. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I cannot believe that it is almost nine years since this scenario was first published! A lot's happened since then, but Rood and the Dragon still holds up as one of the finest pieces of work for Civ III.

15. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I can't believe I'm still subscribed to this thread after all these years... just in case there is anything new! I still have CivIII installed on an old PC just to play this scenario!

16. Kyriakos

Just a minor note:

Sorry for the past issue with the graphics used. :)

17. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

So after a verrrrry long time absent from these fora (due to real-life commitments) and from Civ III (my Win 7 netbook could only play IV, I got a new laptop today and my first act was to install Civ III), I returned to seek out some of my old favourite scenarios. Imagine my horror when the download links didn't work! (I assume due to the server change)

Fortunately, I found most of them, including my two favourites, both made by you - this (tragically without the soundtrack) and The Desert And The Mountain - on old USB sticks from my downloading blitz back in 2010-11, but this got me wondering...

How much of the Civ III modding community on here is still active? Is there enough demand to warrant re-uploading old mods and scenarios? Since this thread has been dead since 2013 I'll admit to being a bit worried...

18. Takhisis

Yes, and between a few of us we probably have all the most important ones downloaded in our hard drives. The issue of intellectual property remains…

19. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

I have a load on the hard drive of my family's old, unused PC, but getting them off will be a nightmare... I've found two of the four USB sticks I used at the time, when I was downloading them in college and bringing them home to install. Highlights so far include this, The Desert and the Mountain, Twilight of Byzantium, Age of Piracy, Age of Shoguns, Conquistadors and Lord Of Middle-Earth

20. Takhisis

Yes, yes, I know we have many of those. But the point is whether we should re-upload them or not.