The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Oh yes, in any normal game it's better to have ready access to the coastline for trade and transportation but in my first game (2005? 06?) I found out too late that more ports than one is a risky strategy and that inland domains are best.

My actions have perhaps engulfed the entire island in war. The Norse have been turning gathering allies to join in their crusade against me, so I've been forced to divert those foes by paying massive subsidies to Powys, Mercia, the Irish, and the Picts to have them join in nominally on my side. Not sure how things are going down south due to my meddling, but Gwent's attack was successfully blunted by a big force of pagan thegns. A settlement culture flipped, forcing the beserks to waste turns recapturing it. My fleet picks off random longboats, while my mounted thegns ambush isolated Viking raiders. No major clash with the mega stacks yet, though I continue to shadow them with my army and horde of soakingmen. Not sure if I have enough hirthmen to survive their counter-stroke.

Oh, and the Danes had a protection pact with the Norse, so now they're involved too......(I'm sure it'll be fine)

Attachments

• Ragnarok 4.png
    Ragnarok 4.png
    640.5 KB · Views: 43
Praise Wotan, I did it! Keeping a pagan monarchy the whole way through, I pulled out a win even with the Norse knocking down my door and burninating my countryside. In the end, I had to turn off combat animations as there are just too many beserks to spend 10 seconds a piece walking and swinging an axe. This made battles kind of mysterious as I would just suddenly lose a mass of units to a swarm of vikings, but I also wouldn't have to steadily get annoyed as fortified hirthmen with 6 defense and 100% combat bonus would still get bulldozed by single units of regular 8 attack beserks. The Battle of York ended up being decisive: I killed as many as I could with my offensive units (it wasn't nearly enough), and then prayed my hirthmen would survive. They didn't. No one did. And that was it for my army and my ability to even fight the Norse. But it didn't matter as all that combat during the AI turn shoved my VP amount above the victory threshold! Phew. Next time, I pay the Norse anything they want and hope they bully someone else.

Now I need to decide......do I try again as Hwicce and play nice as a Christian kingdom, or do I travel down to Africa and become a Malian lord of trade?

Attachments

• Ragnarok 6.png
    Ragnarok 6.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Ragnarok 7.png
    Ragnarok 7.png
    804.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Ragnarok 8.png
    Ragnarok 8.png
    846.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Ragnarok 5.png
    Ragnarok 5.png
    789.4 KB · Views: 33
Hmmmm, not sure a game as Hwicce is going to pan out very well. No room to expand, every AI civ has a massive tech lead through unscrupulous trading......the usual. Being rapidly reminded as to why I always hated the tech trade system in Civ 3. XD

Now I need to decide......do I try again as Hwicce and play nice as a Christian kingdom, or do I travel down to Africa and become a Malian lord of trade?
Be a man, play as Deira and take on Trogdor the Northman as is thy doom!

Top Bottom