1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Maplehurst

Maplehurst Northern Hermit

I've noticed the same seafarer problem. I will download the updated patch #2. So far -great job. Very fast, very authentic. I am very impressed. But, like those before me, I was disappointed when I enslaved my first troph....wait....its just a useless warrior! How can I compete with the irish now?
    On a lighter note, I can't believe how much work you have put into the diplomacy. I'm actually reading the text again. Great job. (Let's hope that patch#2 v2 fixes the splash/trophy problems...

2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

OK here's my game up through 867 AD. I just crossed over 25,000 VPs
    Wessex, Monarchy.
    On the next turn, I won the game and a victory splash screen came up telling me I had won by VPs.
    The next screen, showing the beaten foes, had some very strange leaderheads. :confused:

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

[Hrafnkell] Ha, that must be why Hwicce never did very well, if that's how they negotiated! I'll correct that for the final version (I think we can live with it for the moment).

[zxe] Thanks for the compliments. The final version of the patch as currently posted should certainly fix the Seafarer problem and prevent the bizarre proliferation of Athelings. If anyone can testify that the Pagan Thegn/Trophy system is working correctly now that would be great.

[Birdjaguar] Yes, the victory/defeat screen isn't right. However, it should be in the final final version since R8XFT is sorting it out. I defer to his greater skill in this matter!

4. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

@zxe - The Seafarer problem will be fixed in the patch - but to fix it yourself, all you have to do is a little edit in the pediaicons.txt file - changing
    WON_SPLASG_BLDG_Seafarer to WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Seafarer. A spelling error caused the crash. You'll be pleased to know there's a lovely picture I found and edited for a new splash for the Seafarer.

@Birdjaguar - the victory/defeat screen is being updated at the moment. This means that leaderheads used in this scenario such as Leopold I, Reagan, Lincoln and Bismark - plus some others - are getting an ancient era pcx set made specially for this scenario! Hopefully, they'll be useful in other scenarios as well.

I'm also doing a new set of advisors for the scenario; again, they should be useful for other Viking/Dark Ages scenarios. I've already done 5 out of the 6; I'm about to do the foreign advisor and the buttons clicked on to access the advisors...ok - I'll give you a quick preview (they all have happy, angry, sad and surprised images):

5. Plotinus

I think those advisers are absolutely splendid. Thank you so much for doing them: it will really give the scenario that extra bit of atmosphere. They are perfect - what did the Trade Adviser trade for that hat, I wonder?

6. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

Fantastic advisors! That trade advisor looks like tough-guy Sawyer in the ABC series LOST. Going to be hearing his voice when he pops up.

Again, great scenario, Plotinus. I just got stomped by that rapscallion Vortigern. He got PO'd that I'd dare decline tribute. But Mercia shall rise again.

Can't wait to see those new leaderhead versions as well!

On the subject of leaderheads, any chance anyone out there could do a Harald Hardrada leaderhead for me? Firaxis gave us just that one Viking-Age leaderhead and it goes only so far. I could use one of Harald for my mod, and I'm sure he'd be useful elsewhere as well.

Wassail!

7. Maplehurst

Maplehurst Northern Hermit

Plotinus - The new update works great. I cashed in my first trophy last night. 3 more turns until I get seafarer again. Let's hope it works as well. =-)

8. Rob (R8XFT)

Have you checked out my leaderhead library? Whilst I've not specifically done Harald, there might be a leaderhead to suit your needs :) .

All the advisors are done as are the popheads :D .

The only work left is some of the end-game pcxs, so it should be ready tonight. Due to all the artwork being still images, the whole lot weighs in at a zipped file of well under 3 meg.

9. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I can second that the Pagan Thegn/Trophy works. I managed to just scrape my first win last night with a VP victory in 969. :D The trophies are necessary early in the game to stop Ireland from winning.

Plotinus, is there any reason why you picked the kings you did? Are they of particular interest or something? I only ask because I was expecting slightly more well know characters such as Æthelred and Cædwalla to be included as Saxon kings. Wasn't Æscwine a West Saxon king?

Also, picking up on your theme of extra atmosphere, how about using the Old English letter ash, Æ?

Thumbs up for the leaderheads, this scenario is looking very polished.

10. Plotinus

Excellent - I'm glad that at last it appears to be functioning as planned.

Asclepius, I don't know enough about Anglo-Saxon history off-hand to remember why I chose each particular king, except that when I was researching the factions those were the ones that seemed best! They are all mentioned in the civilopedia entries for their factions, of course. Some were tricky because there were other good candidates - I thought about having Penda for Mercia (especially as he sounds so unpleasant) but decided that Offa was more well known. Also I could have had Alfred for Wessex, of course, but decided that he was slightly too late to be the leader for most of the game - as would Æthelred even more, if you mean the Unready. Ethelbert would have been the obvious choice for Kent, but I wanted a woman, partly for the sake of balance and partly because at the start I had a paucity of male leaderheads (R8XFT hadn't produced his fifth-century ones at that point). When I first posted my plans for this scenario someone said I should have Hengist, but I decided not to as it's not certain that he even existed (although the same is true of Vortigern, who may have been a title rather than a particular individual). And then it's hard to find *any* kings of note for some of them, such as Sussex, Hwicce, Dumnonia and Lindsey. As for the Æ - somehow I assumed that Civ wouldn't display such a character. Perhaps I could go through the scripts when I put together the final version with the new graphics - although I'd be bound to miss some places where it should be, and commit the cardinal sin of inconsistency...

11. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Oh no! Don't get rid of Bertha, she's great eye candy ;)

About the kings chosen, it doesn't really matter. I just thought using two Ælle's (or variations of the same name) might be a bit confusing as well as the fact that some of the kings were separated by a few hundred years :)

12. KayEss

KayEss Gone to the dogs

My guess is that Civ will use the local non-unicode setting for Windows so anything like Ash will depend on the settings of the machine it's displayed on - probably best avoided for mods and scenarios.

13. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

Yes, I have. Your leaderheads are great and your library an invaluable resource. I'm using Alaric right now. I am trying to teach myself how to make leaderheads so I can make some Byzantines. So far, Justinian and Theodora are the only ones and rather limited in era. I'm hoping to make Alexios Komnenos or Nikephoros Phokas. There are so many to choose from.

Looking forward to putting those advisor heads in. That's the sort of chrome I was talking about earlier...little things like that which create the feeling of an era.

14. Rob (R8XFT)

I've now sent the graphics to Plotinus. There are :
    • Single era pcxs for all 17 civilizations to match the era of the leaderhead in the game - including foreign advisor screen, civilopedia screens and endgame pcxs
    • A new set of advisors and a new advisor "tab" to match
    • New citizen popheads
    • A new working splash for Seafarer
    • A white background to the picture of the British Horseman in the civilopedia

I hope you enjoy them!

15. Plotinus

I'll be posting the new file as soon as I can - it's actually slightly larger than the maximum size for uploaded files, so it will have to go up once I've got file space from Thunderfall (unless, of course, R8XFT's talents extend to being able to post larger files than I can).

This means that the final, final version of this will be posted within the next day or two (please bear with me, as I am working long shifts this week so have limited time for this). When I post it, I will remove the old version from the start of the thread and also the patches, and post the whole thing complete to replace them. But I will also post the new graphics pack by itself as well, so that those who have already got the original version don't have to do the massive download all over again.

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Here's the file containing the work I've done.

R8XFT's update

17. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I just spotted my first Viking, in 744 AD. Made a minor fortune selling their Ragnar's phone number and neighbourhood map to everyone. And boy, are those Scandinavians big? They make the Irish juggernaught look outrightly modest.

The Hwicce put up a more spirited fight than I expected, but trading units one-for-one isn't gonna save them; their western flank just collapsed with the fall of Winchcombe.

Powys and Essex have, annoyingly, signed a MPP - a war against them now could turn really ugly. Luckily, they've been dragged into a war with Gwynedd, which seems to be going absolutely nowhere.

East Anglia's final city has be localized in the Outer Hebrides ...

I now lead in VPs, and have overtaken Essex and Powys in score.

18. Plotinus

Yes, they can be pretty nasty, those Vikings. You want to be careful introducing Ragnar to everyone, though - they could just make MPPs with him, and then you're *really* in trouble! Oh, what fun I had when I discovered that that can happen.

This is to announce that I should be able to post the final, revised version, containing R8XFT's graphics, tomorrow night (ie, about 24 hours from now). This includes corrections of all faults identified in the six preceding pages and various little tweaks that I noticed along the way.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

TLC, can you post a save? I'm curious where the vikings attack and in what force.

20. KniteFlux

KniteFlux Chieftain

I've just started playing this mod. I enjoy the speed and the challenge. In the next couple of weeks here, once my final projects are done, I'm going to try to talk my civ3 partners into playing this mod multi-player. I haven't found many mods that actually hold up for mp.

Quick question. The Wanderer can roam through enemy territory and attack units on open terrain (non-cities) with great effectiveness,great unit; however, is it a limit by civ3 itself that such "pirate" units cannot attack cities without being at war with that nation? I assume yes, as the only included pirate unit in C3C is a ship, but I thought it would be worth asking.