The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

KniteFlux said:
Quick question. The Wanderer can roam through enemy territory and attack units on open terrain (non-cities) with great effectiveness,great unit; however, is it a limit by civ3 itself that such "pirate" units cannot attack cities without being at war with that nation? I assume yes, as the only included pirate unit in C3C is a ship, but I thought it would be worth asking.
I couldn't get it to attack a city, just pillage and attack units. The AI will send out units to go after wanderers when it sees them.

Plotinus said:
Yes, they can be pretty nasty, those Vikings. You want to be careful introducing Ragnar to everyone, though - they could just make MPPs with him, and then you're *really* in trouble! Oh, what fun I had when I discovered that that can happen.
Not really - they were already in sight of Deiran units, and hadn't I sold their contact, it would quickly have made the rounds 'tween the AIs. Things get traded fast in this scenario.

Save just after contacting Ragnar attached.

Attachments

• offa.zip
    381.3 KB · Views: 221
[KniteFlux] Yes, the limitations on hidden nationality units are hard-coded. There's been some argument about this in the fora and I think that it varies depending on which version of Civ/Conquests you are using. However, in 1.22 it seems that hidden nationality units such as the Wanderer cannot attack enemy cities - even enemy units in cities - if they are not at war with them. I think, however, that the AI may not be restricted by this, rather unfairly. However, if you lose a city to a Wanderer, you clearly have only yourself to blame!

I hope the scenario works well in MP - I think it could be satisfyingly violent.

I have looked at the biqs (haven't played yet).
A first note on the MP version : the map (same as SP) is too big. And in MP you can have only 8 civs (not the 18 you have in standard SP) which explains why I think the map is too big.
Sengoku for instance has a smaller map for the MP version. Now of course you might not want to "have fun" making another map only for the MP version.

Ah, that's annoying - I thought that to be MP-compatible it needed to have eight *playable* civs, which is why I left it the same in MP but made two more of them AI-only. Is it therefore meant to be eight civs *in total*?

Apologies for the delay in posting the final version - my computer, and more specifically my internet connection, has a mind of its own which is hostile to me. It's on its way.

Plotinus, I have had a good read through the civilopedia, I thought it was very comprehensive and well written. I especially like the quotes thrown in.

I have a query though, in the entry for Englishness you say "75% of all English people are descended in part from French Huguenot refugees". Where did you find that fact? It sounds pretty unbelievable! The population of England was around 8 million (?) in the 1700's and I thought about 100,000 refugees settled in London, Kent, etc, etc. Am I missing something here? Where does 75% come from?

Couldn't find any mistakes in the text other than a few extra spaces in some words and the link to "Romano-British" is an empty page.

[Asclepius] I actually found that fact during my very meticulous research in the novel "London" by Edward Rutherfurd. It does sound counterintuitive unless you bear in mind just how many ancestors each of us would have back in the seventeenth century - you only need a few people of a certain group to be in the country at that stage for a surprisingly large proportion today to have them in their ancestry, even if only to a very small degree.

The wrong link to "Romano-British" and a few others have been fixed in the final version, which would be up now if my computer had been working properly! It may be slightly delayed today as a crisis has unexpectedly appeared but I hope to have it up tomorrow.

I'm glad you like the entries in general though - I felt rather cheated by those Firaxis Conquests that didn't have proper civilopedias, so I did want to make it as comprehensive as possible.

If MP can only have a total of eight factions, that will cause problems. I will try to pare it down to a total of eight for the MP version but Britain's going to look a bit empty! It would probably still be pretty playable, though. I may simply remove Ireland altogether for that one.

Thanks Plotinus, I guess the statistic does presuppose a complete mixing of an entire population, though. Seeing as most Huguenots settled in the cities to start up weaving factories I would personally doubt if a rural family from deepest Devon could find any French protestants in their geneology. I might just have to find a copy of that novel and read it for myself! :)

The eight civ limit is one of the things that ruined the C3C Middle Ages scenario in multi-player. I had thought it one of the better scenarios in that release in solitaire mode but when I tried to play it with my fiance, Europe was suddenly empty and I had to go far indeed to find somebody to take a whack at.

By the way, the new small heads and advisors improve an already beautiful scenario, and I enjoyed the civ entries as well. I am taking the same approach in my mod. Nothing worse than wanting some background and finding a bare sentence, if that!

I have now posted the updated 1.3 version at the start of the thread. This contains the new graphics, corrected civilopedia entries, and a few other things too. I have put a new MP version in the same post with only eight factions in total (and no Ireland at all!) - the map's just as big, though. I may edit the MP version as time allows. Of course, if anyone else wants to...

Hopefully it all works as intended now. Have fun!

Well, Mr. R8XFT has refered me to this scenerio, and so far, just by seeing that you've edited the Diplomacy file(Which is NOT an easy task), I think this scenerio is above alot, and thats saying alot.

Isn't the Diplomacy text file like a giant jigsaw puzzle from Hell though? It took me hours just to get the hang of editing it.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Isn't the Diplomacy text file like a giant jigsaw puzzle from Hell though?

You said it! Once you've worked out what the numbers at the start of each section mean it's not too horrific. In fact I'd done this *before* I stumbled across the thread by one of the Firaxis guys in the Tutorials forum which explained what they all are. I should say that naturally I didn't alter the whole of the Diplomacy file, or even most of it - just the bits that come up the most often. And it took long enough to get that right - even in Debug mode it's not exactly easy to test.

I hope you like the scenario anyway - no doubt some new and even more ghastly bugs will have found their way into the updated version, but I'm desperately hoping not!

Its good to see someone else messing with the Diplomacy file, I thought I was the only one doing that lol.

Bugs are usually unit related I've found, you get rid of that, and you get rid of 99% of bugs(usually).

I think this counts as one of the Missing Conquests, as it comes in between the fall of Rome and the Middle Ages Scenerio.

Thanks TLC.

The few refugees who managed to escape Berwick were heard muttering, "The King is a fool"...."if only he had acceded to Ragnars' request of a Territory Map and 15 Gold"!

These Vikings are dangerous! They really do invade!

Attachments

• Vikings.jpg
    Vikings.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 583
Asclepius said:
The few refugees who managed to escape Berwick were heard muttering, "The King is a fool"...."if only he had acceded to Ragnars' request of a Territory Map and 15 Gold"!

These Vikings are dangerous! They really do invade!

Superb screenshots :goodjob: !!

Unfortunately, I tend to lose out on a cultural victory to the Irish - I've not got as far as the Viking invasion yet :sad: .

Hi,

I've really enjoyed the scenario todate, I did not build the Seafarer because of the crash, however the same happens with the Synod Great Wonder.

Was this reported earlier and fixed in 1.3 (I'm trying to save a nother 70Mb download)

grumpylad said:
Hi,

I've really enjoyed the scenario todate, I did not build the Seafarer because of the crash, however the same happens with the Synod Great Wonder.

Was this reported earlier and fixed in 1.3 (I'm trying to save a nother 70Mb download)

The Seafarer crash was fixed in my graphics update, which is just a 2.1MB download. I wasn't aware of the Synod Great Wonder problem. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check it out either :sad: .

The details of my update is in post 114 of this thread, the download link is in post 116.

Top Bottom