1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 25, 2004.

1. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Asclepius : how did you do these screenshots ?

Every time I try to take a pic of an animation I get a picture of a fortified/default unit and that's all ! A special program ?

2. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

[Asclepius] Excellent stuff! I see you weren't so horrified by the invasion that you lost the presence of mind to hit the PrintScreen button at the key moment. I approve.

[grumpylad] Yes, there was a problem with both the Synod and the Seafarer. These are both fixed in the 1.3 version, together with all the other problems that have been reported. The Synod problem was the first to get sorted, in fact, so if your version still has that problem you may be best off downloading the whole final version from post #2 to make sure that you get the fixes for all the other problems as well (such as the Pagan Thegns not creating Trophies properly).

3. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Since installing the patch I've managed to build almost every wonder without any crashes, including the Great Synod. :confused:

Edit: Xpost with Plotinus

4. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

I was so amazed that the Vikings actually arrived with a mass of long boats and really invaded that I saved the game and replayed the turn whilst I recorded it with Quick Screen Recorder to make a short .avi movie. :D Otherwise, if you take screen shots during the AI turn, none of the animation is captured.

So far I had only seen the Vikings invade the Irish. They always seem to be on the receiving end of the invasions, with Iona always being the first to fall. It might be worth making the Vikings even stronger, so that they invade more frequently.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

:) Thank you! Try playing as Northumbria they seem to be a powerhouse, with easy access to gold, silver and stone. If you build a town in 70,44 it is an excellent Wonder location.

I have to say I´ve lost 5 out of 7 games to an early Irish cultural victory!

6. Plotinus

Now, I don't know how popular a move *that* would be! The difficulty would be making them more powerful without (a) having them invade earlier or (b) generating so much culture they prevent Ireland from winning. (b) was a big problem when I was making the scenario.

I did try very hard to get the Vikings right and it is most gratifying to see them really invading people in force. They just wouldn't do it to start with. If you look in the editor you'll see the method I used: I gave them a specially powerful unit (Viking Huscarl) which requires three special resources, visible only to Vikings. Then I put these resources in locations where I wanted to encourage Viking invasion, all in England. And indeed this seemed to work, although the Vikings will sometimes attack Ireland and Scotland as well. Of course, in reality they conquered considerable areas of both, as well as most of the north of England, so the Vikings in this game are pretty underpowered by comparison, although they should certainly cause you a lot of problems if you get on the wrong side of them.

Now you know why Alfred was "the Great"!

7. Plotinus

Northumbria should be one of the more fruitful kingdoms to play. Deira is also a good choice, I found...

Avoiding cultural defeat shouldn't be *too* hard now if you have the updated version and your Pagan Thegns can create Trophies. Remember - a lasting culture comes through glory and honour in battle!

8. mungman

mungman Chieftain

I just finished playing my first game of this as Wessex and I have to say, great job! I was doing pretty well at first, took out Sussex and Kent, then Powsys, Hwicce and everyone else ganged up on me and took me out.

One thing I noticed that was odd though was, in victory conditions it says 5000 culture for the civ will result in culture victory: 1) is it supposed to be that low? 2) Ireland had surpased this by around 720-30 AD yet the game did not end. Is there some kind of bug with this?

Oh, and one other thing. I think you might need some commercial buildings because it wasn't long until I had to have my taxes at 10-0-0 to even break even and eventually I had it at this and was losing tons of money, all while I had about 12 cities with plenty of infrastructure and not an obscene amount of units.

9. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The condition for cultural victory is that many culture points and twice the culture of #2. Probably you have more than half their culture - less likely, some other Anglo-Saxon faction is achieving that (the East Saxons seems to in my game).

10. The Last Conformist

Quick update on my game; not been able to play much the last few days:

The Hwicce just refuse to lay down and die. They're down to one city (Bath) now, but continue to put up fierce resistance.

Gwynedd is collapsing under the weight of a Powys-Essex-Deira alliance (plus a could hangers on). I've given them some support to stiffen their defenses, but I probably should turn against them to get some of the spoils, and check the rise of Powys. It just happens most of my army is tied down in Hwicce ...

The Vikings aren't doing anything yet. The Irish are falling behind me and Essex in cpt, which means a cultural victory is out of the picture. The chief powers on Britian itself are Mercia, Powys, Essex and Deira. Northumbria, Pictavia and Gwynedd have fallen to second tier status, and then there's alot of 3rd and 4th rate powers that don't amount to much. No-one's dead yet, tho.

11. Plotinus

[mungman] I'm glad you're enjoying the scenario! Yes, TLC is right about culture. The idea in this scenario is that you must try to prevent Ireland from getting a cultural victory by catching up to more than half of them. So that's why the requirement for a cultural victory is so low, to make a real possibility.

As for tax-creating buildings - there are a couple. There's the Slave Market, but that only works under Paganism, and there's also the Metal-Smith. Plus, of course, going Christian gets you more commerce.

12. The Last Conformist

Alot more commerce.

13. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

Well, report after doing some actual playing ! :)

First, impressive work !
    Nice gfx, nice impressions.

Second : I started as East Anglia (random civ) which apparently was not the easiest (only 2 settlers). I have played till 700 AD and I have nearly crushed the East Saxons and North Kent (the area they settled on the West of my territory far from their base !).
    I am far beyond in tech. I have met everyone (small boat circling around the island) and I am far from the Irish in culture (they might win soon).

Some remarks :

- why didn't you represent Danemark (except if there is no place for another civ) ? That would have been nice to have another viking civ and, historically speaking, they mattered more than Norwegians. They could threaten different areas as well (south-East of England).

- the earlier tech-tree goes a bit fast. I mean with two cities at the beginning, not much you can build and techs fly by. But it might be necessary for the tech-tree advance till the end of the scenario, maybe ? And AI trade a lot with one another.

Now of course it is my first game so I am not "fluent" in techs, buildings, wars, etc... and I was pretty bad during the setlling rush.

Something sounded strange as well. I captured a Essex town that had the building spawning thegns. Now in the pedia it says it is a Small wonder ???

An idea : since these Anglo-Saxons were migrants, have you thought about the possibility to give them a movement of 2 ?

14. The Last Conformist

If you'd read the thread with some more obsessive attention, you'd noticed I encountered the same bug. :p You might also want to check whether you've retained any Ealhs (something tells me the correct pl isn't 'ealhs', but whatever) in captured cities; I got to keep some.

I'm hazarding it's something to do with them both having Pagan Monarchy as a prereq gov't - it's at least about the only "special" thing about them I can think of.

15. Plotinus

[Loulong] That thing with the Warrior Hall is very strange, and I don't know what the reason for it is. It's no big deal, though. Let's say that by conquering the emeny Warrior Hall you have secured the loyalty of its thegns, who swell your forces!

The tech tree does go past quickly, but it slows down as the game progresses. I doubt that it's possible to research everything in all three ages without either winning the game, losing it, or running out of time first.

I take it you mean giving the settlers two movement - I don't think there's much need, really. Bear in mind that you already have the Roman road network to use, which lets you explore the surrounding territory relatively quickly and get your people to where you want them to be. Of course, the varying level of existing road coverage is one of the things that makes some factions easier to play than others - East Anglia isn't well provided with roads at the start.

I didn't include more than one Viking faction simply because the focus of this scenario isn't on the Vikings. As far as the Anglo-Saxons are concerned, they're all a bunch of maniacs from over the sea out to kill them. It doesn't really matter where they are from or what their homeland is like. In fact I was originally not going to bother mapping out Norway, and was going to give them simply a square "land" to come from, until I realised that the player might swap maps with them and wonder what that peculiar island was. Also, since the sole purpose of the Vikings in this is to attack Britain, I didn't want to have more than one kind and risk them attacking each other and ignoring the Anglo-Saxons! I was tempted to extend the scenario further and include the Norman Conquest, but this was one of the reasons I didn't - it would have been hard to keep the Normans and Vikings apart.

16. The Last Conformist

:wallbash:

I'm an idiot. I had just taken the Hwicce's final city - Bath, well inland - and when the "We've destroyed the fledgling ..." pop-up didn't come I thought "damn, they've got some godforsaken city plopped in Scotland", and accepted their offer of peace. No, they didn't have a city in Scotland - they had a Settler strolling about right at my border with Powys, which promptly built a city taking a couple tiles from me. Now, I'll have to wait 20 turns to take them out, and just hope they get a MPP with anyone worth worrying about ...

17. The Last Conformist

As consolation did the East Saxons beat down Caerlegion's garrison to a Beorn and a Longbowman just before I turned on the North Wealhas. The city mine for no losses. :)

18. The Last Conformist

The long anticipitated Mercia-Powys show-down is now in full swing. It began with a successful Mercian expedition against the Powys city next to Lindsey. Then it suddenly turned ugly, since my attack on Tamium failed, my East Saxon and Deiran allies should no inclination to fight, and a huge Welsh stack suddenly appear somewhere from the north and bore down on Caerlegion. With Mercian reinforcements rushing in from the south and Welsh ones from the west, the resultant ten-turn battle saw the Welsh attackers first besieging the city, then capture it only to be themselves besieged in it and finally defeated. CivIII warfare at its epic best!

Meanwhile, not much happened along the border 'tween Mercia and Wales proper, except that the Hwicce finally were eliminated after unwisely entering the war on the Welsh side.

In the south, Kentish and Mercian attacks has reduced Wessex to a single city on the channel. Up north, Northumbria is crumbling under the combined weights of Deira, Strathclyde and the Picts. And Gwynedd, for a while reduced to a single city on Anglesey, have somehow regain foothold on the Welsh mainland.

I'm rather surprised that the Irish have not kicked out the various "colonies" on their coast - Dumnonia and Powys have two each, and Strathclyde one. The Vikings, for reasons of their own, have conquered Iona, the island east thereof (Skye?), and bits of the mainland NE thereof. They show no inclination to attack England.

19. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

In the few games I have played, I was also surprised that the Vikings only seem to attack the Irish with any regularity. On the three occasions they attacked me in England I was half ready for them, so managed to beat them off. If you don't have an Army or at least a stack of Mounted Thegns waiting for them, you are totally stuffed. However they don't seem to follow up their attacks fast enough, so time is normally on your side.

They are a strong enough threat to overall victory though. Once you have overcome the culture threat from Ireland in the opening turns, you have to keep on killing otherwise the Vikings will win a VP victory. They really do rack up the points very quickly! I thought I had my last game in the bag. I was tech and culture leader (almost every wonder going had been built somewhere in Northumbria) and comfortably leading in VP. Or so I thought. I suddenly realised that the Vikings were at war with nearly everyone and scoring *very* heavily. I had to start a war with only six turns left in the game just be sure of reaching 25,000 first!

This scenario is a brilliant challenge from the first turn to the last!

20. The Last Conformist

I find myself not fielding alot of Mounted Thegns. Their movement bonus isn't worth it when many cities take five turns to build one, while a Christian Thegn takes three, and has a better attack.