1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The rough starts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by livsbrand, Jul 12, 2013.

1. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

I re-roll sometimes. In single-player I re-roll now and then. In multi-player you kinda have to stick it out. I don't like a cry-baby. Who likes a cry-baby? Do you like a cry-baby? I like my little sister. She cried. I still like her.

We roll a start with some friends. We get 2 Spices covered in jungle. We get 1 Truffles. We get nothing more in terms of resources surrounding our capital. We get no delicious Bananas or Horsies or Cows. We are in a jungly/marshy mess with low production values. We have a close neighbor with a strong start. What in the world do we do now?

2. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Move your settler...

3. WarIsPeace

WarIsPeace Chieftain

Prepare to lose gracefully?

I honestly don't have a good answer for you. I've played those jungle starts and they're just difficult. If you can survive until universities they provide lots of science and gold, but in the meantime you've got no production and tiles that take forever to work.

IMO your best bet is to turtle and scout well so that your 2nd & 3rd cities give you the production that your capital will lack. And hope that next start is as good as this one is bad.

But don't give up! You never know, that strong neighbor might have an equally strong neighbor that you can't see yet, and if you're lucky they'll keep after one another and leave you alone.

4. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

I move at times. In this particular situation this wasn't an option. Coastal with jungle as far as I could see, warrior discovered it turned into plain desert in the north. I don't like settling on turn 9.

Anyway, I guess 1 city NC with 2 fast workers is what I have to do. I've messed with Liberty (you wanna go Lib in mp every time) in these situations (Republic, Citizenship) but it feels so off when I know I'm pretty much stuck with one or two cities until someone is chipping away at my neighbor. On the other hand I guess Tradition shines the most when you're happy with the land you're given.

5. WarIsPeace

WarIsPeace Chieftain

Woohoo, jungle next to desert! It just gets better and better...

Lycka till! :) And let us know how it turns out.

6. Autokrator48

Autokrator48 Chieftain

Somewhat in the same situation... I'm alone on a very small continent with only wine, one marble, desert, near to no hills and nice jungle... Those good starts! :D

7. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

I used to be a big fan of rerolling. Then I started playing multiplayer and realized what a waste of time that was and would be. I mean you spend half an hour surfing lobbies just to quit? Eff that. Since I stopped rerolling the maps I think my game's improved a lot. I even stick it out if I get invaded with my pants down and lose some cities. And yeah, I've come back from an Immortal game where I lost my capital around turn 100. So, yeah, best thing for your game is to stop giving up when something is not perfect or ideal. Most things that happen in the game won't make you lose, unless you've literally lost all your cities. As long as you have a chip and a chair (or in this case, a city and an archer or two) you can rally back. After realizing all of that well, rerolling cause of poor starting terrain seems even more ridiculous. You won't lose cause of your start. You'll lose cause of your strategy and/or tactics.

8. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

In MP you have to suck it up. Just like in real life. ;-p

SP bad starts I re-start every time when they're no reasonable second and third city spots. Jungle starts just kill me.

9. Autokrator48

Autokrator48 Chieftain

What is worse than jungle, is no production however.

10. IAmOzymandias

IAmOzymandias Warlord

depends who you're playing with. If you're playing with buddies, no stress. You can laugh about how bad your start is (Often you won't be the only one)

If it's online, I'll often make a comment about how "Nice of the game to put my CC in tundra" but that just means you need to push expansion and get a good second city up ASAP. I've had some terrible starts that yeild high benifits later in the game, and some terrible starts that just turned out to be terrible starts.

Bottom line is play the hand you're dealt every time, it adds more challenge and fun that way, and on the off chance you can every say "Yeah I beat a bunch of guys online and my CC only had 5 workable tiles", that's pretty cool too.

I don't understand the complaints about jungle. It's highly defensible, provides decent food, and is a massive massive science faucet after universities and with free thought (right?) and a trading post gives 3 beakers per tile. Base. I'll never understand how it's not a commonly abused tactic to settle jungles, build pop and wait for the payoff.

11. Resipsa

Resipsa King

My strat for jungle starts is scout, monument until shrine and try and get the first pantheon (sacred paths) you get 3 SPs quickly and get a free settler. Then settle with more production and pump settlers out of the second city while you work on the luxuries under the jungle tiles.