1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rugby World Cup in Japan

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by EdmundIronside, Sep 20, 2019.

1. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

Just wondered who else is following the Rugby World Cup. Who do people think will win? Thoughts on the matches so far?

My top 10 power rankings prior to the World Cup:
    1. New Zealand
    2. South Africa
    3. England
    4. Ireland
    5. Wales
    6. Australia
    7. Scotland
    8. France
    9. Argentina
    10. Japan

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I'll watch a few of the final rounds and the final.
    Until then, I'll just sing along with the Welsh.

EdmundIronside likes this.
  3. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Yesterday was proof that France (and obviously Argentina as well) isn't going to do well. NZ-SA was a much better game with far fewer mistakes made.
    I hope the Irish or the Welsh go far, they've got the potential to defeat the southern teams

EdmundIronside likes this.
  4. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

My top 10 power rankings after the weekend:
    1. New Zealand
    2. Ireland
    3. South Africa
    4. England
    5. Wales
    6. Australia
    7. France
    8. Scotland
    9. Japan
    10. Argentina

A decent first round of matches. No major surprises but some solid matches.
    France vs Argentina managed to at least be exciting due to its closeness, even if not by quality.
    New Zealand vs South Africa was the highest quality match so far (no surprise).
    Ireland surprised me, they were clinical.

AdrienIer likes this.
  5. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

First notable upset at the World Cup with Uruguay beating Fiji.
    In my opinion the key to this surprise result were:
    1. Uruguay played really well!
    2. Fiji's kicking was atrocious!
    3. Fiji fell victim to the 4 day turn around having to field a weaker team (this short turn around is the biggest problem with the RWC's current format).
    4. Fiji made too many handling errors (who would ever have thought that would be a weakness for a Fiji team).

6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

7. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

My power rankings at just over the halfway stage of the pools.
    1. New Zealand - Betting against them is like betting against the House.
    2. England - The good form in the RWC warm up matches has continued, look tough to beat. Having 2 hard matches to finish the pool could be a problem though.
    3. Wales - After iffy form in the warm ups, have been pretty convincing in the actual competition.
    4. South Africa - As physical as the All Blacks, and almost as good in the backs (Kolbe is great). Would be higher, but unlike those above, they have tasted defeat, and no one yet has won a World Cup after losing a game.
    5. Ireland - Brilliant against Scotland, shocked by Japan, underwhelming against Russia. Another Quarter final exit looms...
    6. Australia - Australia always use to just sneak past Wales, the present team has now lost narrowly 2 games in a row to them. It is a small but significant difference.
    7. France - Slightly improved since the Six Nations, but still not great. When was the last time they actually had a good team? Still you can never count them out in a World Cup.
    8. Japan - Possibly deserve to be higher, just need to be sure they can follow up the shock win with a win against Scotland (something they failed to do in the last World Cup). Still they have home advantage and a good schedule this time, so...
    9. Scotland - If this World Cup was in Scotland they might be a decent contender. It isn't and so they aren't.
    10. Argentina - If only they could bring the Jaguares form into the international team. When was the last time they actually won a match against a tier 1 team!??
    11. Italy - They've actually played about as well as I can remember them playing in a long time in this World Cup. Shame they sabotaged themselves with the red card against South Africa.
    12. Fiji - For the 1st half against Australia and for the 2nd half against Georgia they were great. Lets just forget about the rest!
    13. USA - Very poor performance against England, the score flattered them. Good performance against France, the score flattered France.
    14. Samoa - Have a decent attack, but questionable kicking and tactical decisions have not helped them.
    15. Tonga - They tackle hard, everything else they can do okay, but lack any real x-factor.
    16. Georgia - Feels like they've been actually declining in the last few years.
    17. Uruguay - They had their moment against Fiji, job done.
    18. Russia - The best of the 3 teams who are lucky to be at the World Cup (ie. are worse than Spain & Romania). I've actually been pleasantly surprised by them.
    19. Canada - Their missed tackle rate is terrible. Are they just too nice!?
    20. Namibia - South Africa's Z team.

shadowplay likes this.