1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Russia News Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agent327, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Intended for news and discussion of news from Russia. Feel free to post articles from Russia, but be advised that most readers cannot read Russian. So if you do, post an English language version or a translation.

This is not intended to post videos, unless they are part of an article. If you are interested in videos on Russia, go to youtube. Similar for tweets and such. A tweet is not news: an article on a subject (political, economic, social, etc) is. Such an article may contain one or more tweets as quotes.

If you post an article, add the source. Also, do not post random articles without comments or introduction. An article should be a starting point for discussion. If an article is long, quote the introduction with a link to the article in full.

Here are some starting points:

On the economic situation, a social background story from the New York Times:

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/w...llapse.html?ribbon-ad-idx=3&src=trending&_r=0

On corruption, a comical view:

Source (in Dutch, but with video examples): http://www.volkskrant.nl/media/poetin-zet-wraakzuchtige-tekenfilms-in-tegen-corruptie~a4236241/

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Is it wise to start an RD thread on Russia when the OP is known to be anti-Russia on all things? Seems to have the potential to be problematic use of RD tag in this case, for it likely was meant to deter from honest arguments. The bulk of the opening post also doesn't seem to be particularly RD-material either, including a cartoonish presentation of Putin.

3. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I agree.

4. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

If we require each poster to be impartial towards the topic of the RD thread, there'd be no RD threads.

Still, I agree - perhaps the anti-Putin bits should be cut off..

5. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

We allow people who are always 100% in support of all things done by the Russian government and against anything done by their opponents to create and post extensively in threads about Russian affairs, and we allow anti-American conspiracy theorists to make multiple threads on American "conspiracies," so why not? If anything, the rule against video spam is a step in the right direction.

6. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I am trying to learn Russian now through RT http://learnrussian.rt.com, however I still havent got email for registration, even when I put Yandex email. Its not in spam/trash etc category, just no email. Any suggestion?

Otherwise I think that RT is awesome Russia news site for english speakers and these who want to improve their Russian. Little biased ofc.

7. Aea

Aea Chieftain

Okay those cartoons are quite hilarious.

Edit: Take that back. First one is good, the other two are quite bad.

8. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

Just discovered some days ago while surfing channels in my brand new TV that there is a spanish version of Russia Today, with spanish anchors and all and "little biased" is a bit of an understatement. Anyway it is nice to have all points of views and i find it much more interesting that any spanish news channel.

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

OK. I'll play:

Russian Demographics: The Perfect Storm
    High mortality, low fertility and emigration of the well-educated are shrinking Russia
    Joseph Chamie and Barry Mirkin
    YaleGlobal, 11 December 2014

Rest of the story can be found here.

The takeaway of this is that Russia's long term future is bleak. Forget the BRICs. Russia's not playing in the future of the world economy. Russia's relative standing in the world is going to constantly diminish. They don't just have both births and deaths in bad places, but their out migration is largely their best people. While their in migration is unskilled.

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

The Russian population and life expectancy are growing. Regards economy Russia is most wealthy on resources. And this all despite incompetent governship. If will not happen something like Chinese invasion or complete fall of resources importance the Russian prospects are very good.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Brain and money drain to the west, estimated 250,000 westerns living in Russia also fled / left
    Please do not ban me for mentioning Russian racist stereotype because of actually real factual problem with Russian culture of drinking
    Also as discussed Russians seem to pride themselves with ruthless but effective dictatorships, its kinda sad to see the long list of bad governments

12. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Russia defaulting ?
    I didnt think things were that bad.

13. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

http://www.fort-russ.com/2016/02/migrants-in-murmansk-go-too-far-with.html
    Apparently the Russians said to the "migrants" that Cologne is 1550 miles south of here.

14. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I would call this a sub par article: 'the media were reporting', but no link to such media. The only sources mentioned are 'social media' and a news snippet from RT. Also, the article seems to have no author, only a translator. In short, I'm not sure what's to discuss here or what exactly the news is. An article detailing a survey of such migrant incidents would be more useful - or simply an article from an actual news medium, such as RT.

Released by Putin's party, a rather relevant detail. And I've no clue what is meant by 'when the OP is known to be anti-Russian on all things'. I see nothing 'anti-Russian' in the OP. Kindly don't make things up to fit your own preconceived ideas.

Secondly, and more importantly, this is a news and news discussion thread. You are posting or discussing neither. Kindly observe the rules or refrain from posting period.

Is that news?

Why? Should there be a rule that only pro-Putin bits are news?

15. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

It does not take brains to exploit natural resources. However, selling resources will not remake an empire that Putin pretends to recreate.

Putin is a poor man's Stalin: he has Stalin's pragmatism to not anger the big enemy, while bullying weak, powerless and friendless regimes. However, he does not process the will of steel and totalitarian regimes to do really difficult things, such as 5yr plan or massive purges. What makes Stalin great is not annexing Baltic states, Polish, Romanian and Finnish territories, but building a military powerhouse and defeating Hitler. Putin had done nothing materialistic to rebuild an empire.

16. Daw

Daw Chieftain

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Population growth issues aside, I don't think the global slump in oil prices will continue indefinitely. When prices rise again, Russia is once again going to have a booming economy and that's even putting aside all of the other resources they have that the rest of the world covets.

18. LamaGT

LamaGT Chieftain

The low oil prices should favor some investment into other sectors. The Russian industry never really moved on from 1990 level technology. Lately there have been a few upgrades but still, I'd say that's one of the main problems of the Russian economy. You can even see that in its main non-resource exports, military and space equipment. Both of them have no high tech demand.

19. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Some more news, published by BBC:

Continued here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35459613

Obviously not one of the most subtle of men, this Mr Kadyrov. The award mentioned was the Order of Honour, which president Putin awarded the same day as well to Andrey Lugovoy, one of the suspects in the Litvinenko murder case.

20. Daw

Daw Chieftain

You mean that Mikhail Kasyanov?
    Oh yes, he's a prominent freedom fighter. And an economical think tank. Sadly, his potential of economist was mostly aimed at his own prosperity, and the fight for freedom apparently rates the freedom to steal among the first. But I assume some people would love to see the guy in charge of Russia, why not.

After all, he's a patriot:
    Frankly, I am not a fan of Kadyrov. By any standards. But if I had to pick between these two guys... yeah, Kadyrov would seem to be relatively harmless, I guess.