1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Russia News Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agent327, Feb 7, 2016.

1. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

If would Chechens be like that in described article than there is no solution as is there no solution with Palestine. The keeping status quo doesnt seem bad, especcialy when being independent country next Russia is allways worst option. Time is sometimes best doctor.

2. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Given that the article mentioned divisions within both groups for several times, I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion? But even so, if this is your primary criticism, are we to infer that the author correctly describes dynamics between majorities - or large pluralities - within both groups?
    I doubt you can draw a clear line between the two, but you are welcome to try.
    Indeed, the moral seems to be that things can get effed up beyond repair.

3. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Bad news for Russia (and US), no cuts until at least 2017 with Iran ramping up Oil production.
    It was a move to kill off US shale oil production combined with economic downturn. Means oil prices fallen and expected to stay down.

4. Daw

Daw Chieftain

I reached that conclusion through realizing that Moscow is a 15 million people city while Chechnya is a 1,3 million people region. Even if all Chechens relocate to Moscow at once, they will make 10% of Moscow population only.

And that's only Moscow, not the entire ethnic Russian population.

Even if the dynamics are described correctly, which I doubt, their scale, range and importance are totally twisted, like a reflection in a funfair mirror: you can recognize what's reflected in every single bit of it, but it's totally disproportional as a whole.

Some "Muscovites" (I don't like the word, actually, it sounds too much like "mucus" or "musk" or something else sleazy and smelly, yech) don't like Chechens in particular and Caucasians in general (because, basically, your average Russian can't tell them apart; I can't), and same goes to Central Asians, and then anyone who looks insufficiently European. In fact, it's not something anti-Chechen specifically, and neither it is something specifically Russian, it's same old good grassroots racism, which can be seen in any nation to some degree.

The "Boot those @#$%& outta here!" marches gather some couple of thousand bad-ass school skippers and jerks, which constitute the approximation error level percentage of Moscow population. It isn't even a minority, it's nothingness.

What fuels them is the also negligibly small part of Caucasians (not necessarily Chechens) who are lawless enough to be annoying and also arrogant enough to show it off.

So, basically, the "problem" described in the article at a length is the "Russian jerks vs. Caucasian jerks" problem, which does exist in reality, but which is so massively exaggerated in the article that it actually makes it looks that there's nothing else but this problem.

For instance, the article simply ignores (or minifies) the vast majority of Russians and Caucasians (including Chechens) who coexist peacefully and friendly to indifferently towards each other, while that is the reality to see in the overwhelming majority of cases when people of those ethnicities meet each other.

I doubt that, too. But I prefer the terms "province" or "region," because that's what any province or region of Russia is.

5. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

About Chechen double agents in ISIS. Does west have people there too?

Link to video.

6. Verbose

Verbose Chieftain

I doubt Chechnyan independence will even be contemplated. Not because it's in itself very significant to Russia, but because of the dangerous precedent it might set in the Caucasus.

7. Daw

Daw Chieftain

Sure. The cutthroat who speaks flawless English with British accent, for one.

8. FriendlyFire

So the Russian OWN government has announced that some 200,000 Russian citizens are in Jail for NOT paying Bribes ????
    I knew Russia was corrupt, but wow :eek:

9. Daw

Daw Chieftain

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Not sure, but I find it of more interest that according to an official 200,000 Russian business people have been jailed for refusing corruption.

11. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

From what I gather if Russia wants to get rid of corruption they have to start at the top.

12. Daw

Daw Chieftain

I think it's amusing, too.

Here's a situation:

A drunk driver is stopped by a police officer. Drunk driving should result in 1 year license suspension but rumors put is that around 1'500$ can do the trick of casting temporary blindness and amnesia onto an officer if you know how to wink properly. The officer has heard the rumors too, and looks at the driver suggestively. The driver does not get it though and calls the officer names, for which is arrested for 15 days custody.

Now, why do you think the driver was jailed? For refusing corruption, right?

In business, if you show loss, you get closed. If you show profit, you get taxed. And you want neither. So you show zero. After having shown zero for quite some time, you have to explain how come. Then you get very creative in story telling, because the stories must be very believable and realistic. Otherwise, somebody will come up to check your records and take you by the balls and throw you in jail.

Specifically, that Lenin's Farm is proudly around since 1918 or something (as per their site). And their director, Mr. Pavel Grudinin, is very communicative. He shows up in newspapers and on radio stations every now and then and serves the same dish with various sauces: it's hard time, the government sucks, we once again barely made... zero profit.

Meanwhile, their farm news say they're finishing building 17-storey house for their employees. Which is a good thing, I realize. But I don't know how I could have afforded building an apartment house if I have had zero profits for as long as they have, really. Their director must be really good at knowing what to do to save them from bankruptcy the very last moment every time, right?

13. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

1500 USD?

14. Daw

Daw Chieftain

yup, according to what I heard. Can't independently verify that though. Also, might vary depending on region. And, possibly, the estimate market price of the car you've been caught driving.

Anyway, whatever the "price" is, driving sober (which is every driver's responsibility here) will save you both the money and the trouble of justice seeking.

15. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Chieftain

Progressive bribing, eh? That is communism! :mad:

16. Daw

Daw Chieftain

:lol: No, that's justice, Russian style ;)

17. FriendlyFire

I though in Russia you had to drive while drunk ? (is joke But too many Russian car accidents and crazy drivings)

So what your saying is Russian government and police is so NOT corrupt ? I think the word is clean and efficient and honest. And that the Anti corruption Tzar appointed by Putin is actually exaggerating ? (boosting? lying?)

Also Lenin farm was privatized during the soviet break up, what i find interesting that he openly said he had to pay a lot of bribes and three years to get approval to expand hes farm and has said he paid a LOT OF TAXES ? where did you get the idea he paid 0 taxes from ??? Or is it common practice for Business to report 0 profit and evade taxes ???

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I guess you never check those Russian drunk driving vids on youtube. FWIW, not driving drunk is nothing special. Outside of Russia, that is.

But I'm sure it makes for interesting stories what you hear. Not that it's news, of course.

19. Daw

Daw Chieftain

No, you don't have to drive while drunk in Russia, but yes, there are lots of drivers who drive recklessly/crazily (or drunk) and lots of accidents out of that.

That said, sober and safe driving is nothing special inside Russia as well. It's just not worth being put up on youtube because it's boring and, well, nothing special.

So the youtube vids you get under "driving in Russia" inquiry show bizarre lawless stuff.

I'm not saying they are so NOT corrupt. I'm saying they are not so corrupt as they may seem to be, based on the news-making stories. Simply because their everyday practice is nothing to tell about in the news, no sensations there, nothing to prop up the news channel ratings with, no "wows", no "oohs" and "ahs". Just routine, which is boring to follow.

There are regulations to start with. If those are followed, there would be no problem to solve with bribery, and you won't make the news.

This only means there were some issues with that. The interview was not interrogation or confession, so he doesn't go into details, but I'd guess that the issue was about the purpose of land. Tl;dr, it's like zoning in SimCity: you can't build residential or commercial structures on agricultural lands and vice versa, or you can't build commercial or agricultural constructions in residential zones, etc. Rivers and streams have environment conservation stripes along them, and communication lines like water/gas pipelines and high voltage electric lines also have "no build" areas around them.

That farm is located in a densely used area, so hitting one of those limitations while expanding is easy. Then you have a problem you have to "solve".

But that's just a wild guess, I don't know what their particular problem was.

Well, as a huge farm they have a lot of property, so they pay a lot of property taxes, right?

I got it from the fact that the tax structure is complex. Some taxes you can't evade at all, some taxes you can't evade easily, and some are relatively easy to evade.
    Yes, it is. Not 100%, of course, but many businesses do that. There seemed to be a trend for improvement there in the early 2010s, but I am not sure if it has reversed already with tough exchange rate and all.

20. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

In Russia drivers using dash cameras much more than in other countries for whatever reason so every accident has big chance to be filmed.