[RD] The Russia News Thread

Two crocodiles lie on Nile riverside in Egypt.
One says: "Such a nice river, this Nile..."
Another: "Yes. But Volga is better, really, comrade colonel!"

No opinions in this thread on the Oliver Stone Putin 4 hour interview documentary ?

Didn't see it yet. From trailer and fragments I saw, seems good, but I think it is mostly intended for foreign audience.
People with "corrupt dictator, murderer, raargh!" attitude will ignore it anyway, for others it should be interesting.

Putin's propagandistic homophobia is quite the spectacle.
In most cases yes, they got citizenship automatically. With exception of Baltic States.
If I remember correctly, Russia still has simplified rules of obtaining citizenship for people born in USSR and their descendants.
Ukrainians don't even need much adaptation - for them it's like moving to another city of the same country.
Are the languages really that close to each other? I don't speak either.

Putin's propagandistic homophobia is quite the spectacle.
What you mean? Did he say something spectacularly homophobic recently?

Most Ukrainians can speak Russian fluently. And languages are quite close, you can understand like 70%-80% of what other person is saying.

No opinions in this thread on the Oliver Stone Putin 4 hour interview documentary ?
I have seen so far two parts in Czech tv. Stone is terrible inteviewer, it seems more that he was trying get Putin to his anti-american narrative than having dialog with him.

but I think it is mostly intended for foreign audience.
Which I am

I have seen so far two parts in Czech tv. Stone is terrible inteviewer, it seems more that he was trying get Putin to his anti-american narrative than having dialog with him.

Good to be aware of
I had Stone labeled as a disappointed baby boomer

Thanks both of you :)

The current Ukrainian language has borrowed from the Polish language. 200-300 years ago it was more a dialect of Russian than language. But there are regional differences.

But in Ukraine, the majority of the population in the cities speaks Russian. In the Donbass, 99% of the population speaks Russian.

Trump calls Ukraine the thing Ukrainians hate the most.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ls-ukraine-the-thing-ukrainians-hate-the-most

So, English-speaking guys, welcome to the club. Ukraine now will teach you how to use your language properly, like they already do with prepositions we use in Russian.

Oh yeah! Ukrainian nationalists urinate by anger with boiling water. For them this is a very, very important issue.
The remaining differences just do not notice.
:shake: Now they can add Trump to the lists of the site "Mirotvorets" (joke) (the site "Mirotvorets"( "Peacemaker") is the "big book of insults" of the Nazis, they put personal data of those whom they want to kill)

It's not homeless and not crazy (though I may be wrong). This is the "patriot of Ukraine" and "Hero of ATU" (as he calls himself). He claims that he was beaten up by the SBU (Ukrainian special services). The reason for the beating is this meeting in the reception room of President Poroshenko:
Requirements:
- Impeachment of President Poroshenko
- Announce the real number of military losses (official figures do not even believe the Nazis)
- Release Yuri Zabolotny to freedom. (ATO punisher, arrested for robbery at the illegal gambling hall)

That's how we live. Without any "aggression of russia".:bounce:

Trump calls Ukraine the thing Ukrainians hate the most.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ls-ukraine-the-thing-ukrainians-hate-the-most
So, English-speaking guys, welcome to the club. Ukraine now will teach you how to use your language properly, like they already do with prepositions we use in Russian.

Call it by its proper name, "Greater Germany" ! :mischief:
Ukraine should be more worried about Trumps moves to lift sanctions on Russia without any concessions. At least Russia should have to pay some rubles for Crimea and acknowledge its wrong doings
Then move forward on normalizing trade, fixing up corruption and stabilizing the region

And then those idiots will whine about yet another "Russian aggression".

How would Russia feel if three Nato military aircraft flew into Russia, refuse to identify themselves ?

NATO said it had tracked three Russian aircraft over the Baltic on Wednesday, including two fighter jets which it said did not respond to air traffic control or requests to identify themselves.
"As is standard practice whenever unknown aircraft approach NATO air space, NATO and national air forces took to the sky to monitor these flights," a NATO official said.

"When NATO aircraft intercept a plane they identify it visually, maintaining a safe distance at all times. Once complete, NATO jets break away," the official said.
The alliance said it had no information about who was on board the planes.

In another episode, Sweden said on Wednesday it had called in Russia's ambassador for talks after a Russian fighter jet buzzed a Swedish military jet on an electronic intelligence gathering mission over the Baltic on Monday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-nato-intercept-idUSKBN19C12Y?il=0

Clearly this is not "Russian aggression"

Russians targeted 21 election systems, U.S. official says

Russian hackers targeted 21 U.S. state election systems in the 2016 presidential race and a small number were breached but there was no evidence any votes were manipulated, a Homeland Security Department official told Congress on Wednesday.

Jeanette Manfra, the department's acting deputy undersecretary of cyber security, testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded the Kremlin orchestrated a wide-ranging influence operation that included email hacking and online propaganda to discredit Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and help Donald Trump, a Republican, win the White House in November.

The Russia issue has cast a shadow over Trump's first five months in office. The extent of interference by Russian hackers, and whether they or others could interfere in future elections, has been the source of speculation and media reports for months.
Russia has repeatedly denied responsibility for any cyber attacks during the election. Trump has variously said Russia may or may not have been responsible for hacking but has dismissed allegations his associates colluded with Moscow as "fake news."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-congress-idUSKBN19C1Y3

Yeah, right. And I've been violently hacked by CIA 22 times. Twenty TWO! If not for CIA, I would be a decent person now. Look what they've done to me, those fracking CIA!!!!!!!!
So I gather you don't believe these allegations. May I ask why?
Do you think Russian government isn't able to carry out such an "influence operation"?
Or do you think they didn't want to (because success wouldn't benefit them)?
Or do you think they were held back either by high moral standards or fear of exposure and backlash?
Or do you think the opportunity never even occurred to them?

Or is that simply a kneejerk reaction of yours "the Americans are telling something, so obviously it is a lie!"?

Last edited:
How would Russia feel if three Nato military aircraft flew into Russia, refuse to identify themselves ?
If they flew into Russian airspace for 5 seconds or so, then it would feel ok - since they do it all the time anyway.
If they head for a large city or important military target, without replying to repeated calls, they would likely be shot down.

Or do you think they didn't want to (because success wouldn't benefit them)?
Because risks would far outweigh possible benefits.
Current hysteria about "Russian hacking" serves only internal US purposes, for us it's just popcorn time.

Top Bottom