[RD] The Russia News Thread

Almost a real life criminal thriller in Moscow:
https://www.rt.com/news/398193-casualties-shooting-court-moscow-region/

Five members of notorious "GTA gang" (which also presumably connected to ISIS) tried to escape right from the court. Inside an elevator, they managed to seize weapons from their guards and tried to fight their way out of the building. Three of the suspects were shot dead in shootout with the police, two others as well as two police officers, were injured.

The only question is how on Earth, five suspected Islamic terrorists happened to be inside an elevator with only two guards, one of them female?

I just saw that re-reported on the BBC.

I always thought that the video game Grand Theft Auto would result in real life copycat criminality.

But it never occurred to me that it would radicalise Islamics.

I suppose that Vladimar has a minor dilemma, does he blame the Islamics, US video game industry or both?

These criminals most likely have no idea what GTA stands for.
The gang was nicknamed by Moscow people when the stories about their murders appeared in press.

Almost a real life criminal thriller in Moscow:
https://www.rt.com/news/398193-casualties-shooting-court-moscow-region/

Five members of notorious "GTA gang" (which also presumably connected to ISIS) tried to escape right from the court. Inside an elevator, they managed to seize weapons from their guards and tried to fight their way out of the building. Three of the suspects were shot dead in shootout with the police, two others as well as two police officers, were injured.

The only question is how on Earth, five suspected Islamic terrorists happened to be inside an elevator with only two guards, one of them female?

It always impressed me, how recklessly stupid those criminals from among our "south brothers" can be. They've just got wasted killing noone, achieving nothing. Nice addition to the meme: "become a hero" or "convert to Islam" :D.

Reminds me of the less (almost to non-) violent events several years ago. I think it was 2010. When certain circles tried the first provocations in Moscow to incite anti-government protests. Based on the pretext of some boy killed somewhere by Muslims or something like that, neo-Nazis and sympathising schoolers prepared to gather in the center, and their Muslim counter-parts from Caucasus prepared to travel to the city at that day to "slay Rusnya pigs" :D. For about a week prior to the actual day, Federal TV channels and Internet sources covered these plans and that the authorities would prevent that starting with checks at transport points for knives and other possible improvised weapons. Regardless of that, those stupid Muslim hooligans/extremists traveled here with knives, screwdrivers, etc, right into the hands of special police forces waiting near the metal detectors on inter-city station/depot exits. Then the neo-Nazi school-age sympathisers were also dispersed by the police and some random adult youtubers having fun in shooting them on camera. It was fun back then, cause there was no clue those kids could knock out the government, like they did later in the crazy Ukraine.

Lol, what mission of GTA series is similar to this incident?

They've stopped lone cars and murdered drivers. And so, stupid journalists hungry for sensationalism called them GTA.

It always impressed me, how recklessly stupid those criminals from among our "south brothers" can be. They've just got wasted killing noone, achieving nothing.
They likely would have got life sentence anyway, which would be worse outcome for them and for all us too. So it's kind of win-win.
Still, the guards were in real danger, so they should investigate why this situation was even possible.

"Tyrael, the defender of Ukraine"

Monument depicting sword thrust into map of Russia unveiled in Kiev, Ukraine. It's dedicated to pro-government soldiers who took part in "anti-terrorist operation", as government officials call the civil war in Eastern part of the country.
But... the funny part is that the picture strangely reminds Diablo 3 wallpaper with archangel Tyrael holding the sword :)

Spoiler :

Oh!

What an unnecessary provocation.

Tragic as they are, deaths from terrorist attacks are a tiny proportion of those
that are caused by human stupidity and carelessness.

War on Step Ladders! isn't really as headline grabbing as War on Terror! nor
does it give a State a reason to crack down on whoever they feel needs it at
the time.

Humans aren't very good at assessing the odds of events with very low
probabilities and tend to over-estimate their importance by huge margins.

You seem to not appreciate that Pavlensky is doing political performance art. Setting the wooden doors of the Lublyanka on fire is obviously a symbolic act. (The doors have been replaced, by the way.) Most performance, and in fact most art is symbolical. Even if you make a naturalistic portrait of someone, that portrait is still symbolical. You could call it 'a very good liking' (or, in the case of a cubist Picasso, a 'not so good liking'), but both a naturalistic and a cubist portrait are symbolic.

Now, if Pavlensky simply put the wooden doors on fire, that would simply be vandalism- in the sense of pointless destruction. But he has a point with that, and the point seems rather clear. The Lublyanka itself is, after all, a symbol.

And just a year and a half later:

"A controversial Russian artist who was granted political asylum in France has been arrested after setting fire to a bank in central Paris, police say.
Petr Pavlensky was held early on Monday as firefighters tackled two blazes on the facade of Banque de France, in Place de la Bastille.
It is not clear what his intention was, but the self-proclaimed political artist was quoted as saying that "the bankers taken the place of monarchs".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41650245

All of a sudden, France didn't appreciate political performance act in Paris as much as when it was in Moscow :lol:

There isn't anything political nor artistic about his performances. He is obviously a junkie who lost his mind a while ago and is long overdue for extensive treatment.

There isn't anything political nor artistic about his performances. He is obviously a junkie who lost his mind a while ago and is long overdue for extensive treatment.
But, but I thought he was a freedom activist, fighter against bloody-handed Putin's regime...
Who just barely escaped KGB punitive psychiatry?

But, but I thought he was a freedom activist, fighter against bloody-handed Putin's regime...
Who just barely escaped KGB punitive psychiatry?

That he was, but my sources tell me kgb may have applied a higher order of punishment - no treatment was prescribed.

It is almost like people who nail their scrotum to the street aren't stable......

All of a sudden, France didn't appreciate political performance act in Paris as much as when it was in Moscow :lol:

Wrong bank, please set fire to Golden Sacks investment bank and not some random French Bank
Thanks

Top Bottom