[RD] The Russia News Thread

In Russia drivers using dash cameras much more than in other countries for whatever reason so every accident has big chance to be filmed.

True.

I've been using dashcams for over 8 years now and it is a rare day when I don't bring back at least 2 hours worth footage. Out of all that mass, there have been only 3 episodes I thought to be worthy of backing up, with total length under 10 minutes.

So driving in Russia is far from being the death-match horror survival meat grinder it looks to be on youtube. It's just... well, driving :dunno:

But there is driving and then driving. Rate of traffic fatalities in Russia is ten times higher that in Spain, almost three times the average in Europe, including eastern Europe and five times that of USA.

Having been neither to Spain nor to USA, I do agree that the further you go to westwards from Moscow, the calmer the drivers are (and the further you go southeastwards, the crazier they get, too).

However, I suspect that aid availability and promptness also contribute to fatality rate, not only driving habits, which are admittedly poor in Russia, although I doubt that the difference is several-fold there.

I mean, I'm bad at math, so I'll go with examples, to see what's 10 times, okay? Say, there's a road and 1000 drivers doing on it.

While in Spain you'll have 1 zigzagging idiot thinking he's an F1 racer pilot and whacking himself dead in the process, in the USA you get 5, you'll get 6 in Europe on average, and 10 in Russia.

Will that make a 10 times difference between Spain and Russia?

OK, probably people in Russia dont drive ten times worse than in Spain. Spanish drivers have not the best reputation in EU anyway (not the worst either, i have heard many horror stories about italian drivers for instance). We are not that respetuous with speed limits and many people use the cell phone while driving...

I think a number of factors can play here: Weather, i can imagine driving in a frozen road must be tricky and you wont find frozen roads in Spain easily; Alcohol: i bet many accidents in Russia are alcohol related. In Spain the topic is very controlled, with lots of check points and such and laws are pretty harsh on drunk drivers. And last but not least (in fact i think the key is here) roads quality. Spanish road network is pretty awesome. There are wide highways everywhre and signalisation is generally very good too.

According to WHO, rate of traffic-related deaths in Russia is 18.9 per 100000 people (~5 times higher than in Spain).
Traffic deaths attributable to alcohol are 8.6% in Russia and 6.7% – 17.0% in Spain.

Edit: Rate of traffic deaths is generally quite low in Europe, Spain has it also ~3 times lower than the US.

I was quoting deaths per 100,000 vehicles from here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate.

It is 5.3 vs 53.4. I think it is more representative for road safety than deaths per population. Deaths per car and mile would be the best but the data for Russia is not there.

About the alchol point i was probably wrong. Maybe I was carried away by the cliche.

Yesterday's news (all from Russian language sources, so I am not sure if any links make sense):

No.1:
In St.Petersburg, a group of 32 men and 20 women, all of African origin, went to a public steam-bath (баня), got drunken, had an orgy and then had an argument leading to a brawl. The steam-bath personnel tried to calm them down but failed and had to call the police. When the police arrived, the brawlers and their groups sprayed away in all directions much to surprised amusement of local neighborhood inhabitants who were not used to a sight of police chasing naked Africans in mid-winter.

Only in about an hour the police managed to gather them all together back in the bath house. The people, partly sobered up from running in the cold and over time as well, could barely remember what their dispute was about and reconciled saying they had no further complaints over each other.
I have no comment for that, really.

No.2.
Mayor of Perm deprived himself and his deputy of their bonus payment because the city streets pedestrian sidewalks were poorly cleared of snow.

Mayors of different cities practice different approaches to the issue. E.g., in December 2015, mayor of Omsk suggested to pray to avoid icing in the streets; in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky snow was cleared with the help of marines based in the city; Irkutsk mayor fought heavy snowfall by handing out shovels to his administration staff and sending them out to clear the snow personally.
Now, who said the local officials don't have enough power, eh?

No.3.
In Zabaykalsky Krai the governor was deposed for failure to provide new houses to those who live in old (and very worn out) ones since the Soviet times. In Karelia the governor got reprimanded for the same thing on 17-Feb-2016, and the next day the governor fired the local cabinet.
No comment there as well, so far.

I was quoting deaths per 100,000 vehicles from here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate.

It is 5.3 vs 53.4. I think it is more representative for road safety than deaths per population. Deaths per car and mile would be the best but the data for Russia is not there.

About the alchol point i was probably wrong. Maybe I was carried away by the cliche.
Accident rate would be more precise measure. Death rate is affected by response time of emergency services. Russia is 34 times bigger than Spain by territory, it has very long roads and lots of "middle of nowhere" places where it takes hours for help to arrive.

That farm is located in a densely used area, so hitting one of those limitations while expanding is easy. Then you have a problem you have to "solve".

From the YouTube comments I read this is quite common, but the bribe money is that your application / problem is processed faster as opposed to those who dont bribe the process would drag on for years. Someone said it was common if you pay bribes you would goto the Top guys office have tea / vodka while your business problem jumps the queue and is processed for you straight away. And that most Russians dont see this as corruption but its just the way things are. Someone from West whom moved to Russia wrote that they did not receive mail, and didnt know they had to goto Russian post office to pay bribe and there letters had all made it but were not being delivered.

Russia - Bribes are to actually pay officials to follow the laws
West - Bribes are for officials to break the laws

Not that the west isnt corrupt, its just different corruption.

Are Russian government wages really low ?
And is there a lot of cronyism ? (appointing of friends and relatives) ?

I think you'll have a hard time finding a Western country whose corruption rates close to Sierra Leone. The main difference is that in Russia corruption is a very big problem. Like in Sierra Leone. Or Nigeria. Or Ghana. Etc.

No, but that depends on what you compare them to. As a business owner or top manager you can get ways more, as an employee you can get ways less.
It is not illegal when statesman's friends or relatives are also statesmen. And although there is some, I wouldn't say it is a lot. Because there's little profit in that.

What really is a problem there is a combination of a statesman and his friends or relatives in business whose problems the statesman solves. Example: Luzhkov, former mayor of Moscow, and his wife, construction business owner, had a really "nice" tandem screwing the city. This is a temptation few can stand, and it is illegal (was not illegal in Luzhkov's time, I think) and it makes the people effected show circus level of creative equilibristics to get away with it.

From the YouTube comments I read this is quite common, but the bribe money is that your application / problem is processed faster as opposed to those who dont bribe the process would drag on for years.
I think it depends largely on the region and the business area.

In clinical trials, for instance, the Ministry of Health has to approve the trial before you can start it (same thing in all other countries afaik). Compared to, say, 5 years ago, the speed of reviews increased, but so did the number of denials. You get the reply within 30 days, and you can wait that if you plan ahead.

Also, you can receive neither approval nor denial but a list of suggested corrections to implement to get you approval. E.g., the trial submission my wife is involved in came back in 15 days (faster than required by law) with a request to replace a misused term with a more accurate one in the Russian translation of the study protocol. So it isn't even the issue of the pharmaceutical company who created the protocol, it's a translating error. It'll take [ctrl+f] to fix it and maybe an hour or two to proofread it and then resubmit, after which they will get their approval.

Nobody paid anything to anyone there.

OTOH, my company management made a decision to hire an agency to prepare the submission package to register a piece of equipment so that it enters the market. "Let the professionals handle it for you!" That agency is a nightmare, really. It takes their experts ages to review the paperwork, and then they demand some bizarre corrections and amendments and additions, and many make no sense. It's been a year already and we have nothing ready to submit to MoH yet.

But that's not a corruption case, it's managerial mistake on our company side with unnecessary vendoring combined with poor choice of the vendor. However, I am sure somehow that my boss plays "Russian corruption" card in discussions with his bosses to save his butt.

Someone said it was common if you pay bribes you would goto the Top guys office have tea / vodka while your business problem jumps the queue and is processed for you straight away.
I guess that might work with the agency we've hired, but their fees are so big and their work is so crappy that none in the company is willing to see them let alone drink vodka with them.

And that most Russians dont see this as corruption but its just the way things are.
Well, I think I wrote something like that somewhere around here, too. In the 90s it was true. It probably remains true somewhere. But the generation of managers who did not see the 90s grow up and they don't think this is how things are, or should be.

Living here, I can see things improving.

Someone from West whom moved to Russia wrote that they did not receive mail, and didnt know they had to goto Russian post office to pay bribe and there letters had all made it but were not being delivered.
Hehe, that's rule #1: never use Russian Post. Use TNT, UPS, DHL, DPD, FedEx, Pony, whatever other courier company you can find, but not Russian Post.

That is, if you want your mail to ever get delivered. You may want it get lost, however, for instance when you are legally bound to notify someone about something and then have to wait for a determined time for their protest, and if none received you can proceed. For such cases Russian Post comes very handy.

But that's a state owned company, not the state itself. And that's why they collapsed in 2013 and have been reformed since. I made a habit of never using them though, so can't tell if they got any better.

That said, their express mail courier service worked quite fine.

Thank you for answering this very infromative

That's a rather vague statement.

Some more precise statements can be found in a recently published report on the military who probably transported the Buk installation that probably downed flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine:

In a previous report, Origins of the Separatists' Buk, the Bellingcat investigation team described the movements of a Buk-M1 missile launcher ,which was filmed and photographed in Donestsk, Torez, Snizhne, and Luhansk on 17 Juli 2014, the day Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 [MH17] was downed. The report provided evidence supporting the hypothesis that this particular Buk-M1 was likely responsible for downing MH17 for two primary reasons: first, it was in range of MH17 shortly before it was downed; second, a missile was missing from the Buk the morning following the downing

Full report here: http://www.bellingcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/53rd-report-public.pdf

The question is, why is west covering up that it was Russian unit by vague statements without such evidences (or without refuting them) like Bellingcat provided. I follow Bellingcat since they provided report with photos of BUK making way through Ukraine back to Russia, after months this is quite similiar to first report just with much more background of soldiers and equipment.

It's an open secret that Russia was involved in the downing of the plane and is actively sending soldiers and assistance to the rebels in Ukraine, but there is unfortunately very little to be gained by explicitly saying this and it would probably poison relations with Russia for years, even though it is clearly the truth (by the preponderance of evidence).

The question is, why is west covering up that it was Russian unit by vague statements without such evidences (or without refuting them) like Bellingcat provided. I follow Bellingcat since they provided report with photos of BUK making way through Ukraine back to Russia, after months this is quite similiar to first report just with much more background of soldiers and equipment.

I don't quite see how a report published by private investigators amounts to the West 'covering up' anything. FYI, the criminal investigation of the MH17 incident is still underway, and it's not customary to provide details of an ongoing investigation. The article I retrieved this report from stated that Bellingcat had been in contact with the international judicial investigation team, but weren't provided with any information.

Secondly, this report is not 'similar to' the previous report, but a follow up report into the personnel likely to be responsible for the transport of the Buk in question. For this reason, and since it's not clear who did what none of the personnel are identified by name or photo.

Lastly, not providing information during an ongoing judicial investigation is common practice - in the EU at least. If you are looking for wild speculations or unfounded allegations look elsewhere.

From the YouTube comments I read this is quite common, but the bribe money is that your application / problem is processed faster as opposed to those who dont bribe the process would drag on for years. Someone said it was common if you pay bribes you would goto the Top guys office have tea / vodka while your business problem jumps the queue and is processed for you straight away. And that most Russians dont see this as corruption but its just the way things are. Someone from West whom moved to Russia wrote that they did not receive mail, and didnt know they had to goto Russian post office to pay bribe and there letters had all made it but were not being delivered.

At least they will deliver you mail, unlike Australia Post.

That's a rather vague statement.

Some more precise statements can be found in a recently published report on the military who probably transported the Buk installation that probably downed flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine:

Full report here: http://www.bellingcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/53rd-report-public.pdf
Sorry but bellingcat "investigation" is a joke. They work with open sources with social media and so on. Any idiot can claim he is a Russian who downed the airliner and then put it on FB. Also any intelligence agency can create pretty pictures which look like the way they should. Thats what is Hollywood about. It makes your fantasies come true through tricks and illusions fabricated in a studio. Needless to say thats also something useful for infowar. Who finances and organise these journalist? There are many questions but no answers.

Top Bottom