1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Russia News Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agent327, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Daw

Daw Emperor

Well, here's what democracy is: Gudkov calls for a minute of silence, one guy supports, others say "Aw, c'mon!" and the notion doesn't pass. :dunno:

As a pro-democracy guy myself, I have to accept it.

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That's not democracy, but an utter lack of respect for the murde rof a member of parliament.

Actually, it doesn't. What it does, is show how many people actually dare show in public how they feel about the public murder of a politician in central Moscow. A public march is not an anonymous poll.

So, basically you approve the duma not actually caring about the assassination of one of their own and on top of that go off on a wild tangent on Mr Gudkov's family, which has no relevance to the topic whatsoever. Very informative.

Nor would I expect a Boris Nemtsov Day anytime soon.

3. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

So you discount public data, because it is "easy to be falsified" and instead rely on the analysis presented by arms manufacturer owned by Russian state? Because they are supposedly objective and impartial source in this particular case?
    Does that really make sense in your head somehow?

4. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

What part of the "Almaz-Antey claims MH17 was shot down by a BUK missile of a type not made in Russia since 1999" you dont understand?

5. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

So they admit it was a BUK missile while still trying to imply the shooters were Ukrainian.
    Back to my original question - what makes them an impartial source to be trusted?

6. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

As opposed to Bellingcat? Lol. These people actually know what they are talking about.
    Here you have a comment by Theodore Postol, a professor in the Science, Technology, and Global Security Working Group at MIT:

7. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

I didn't say Almaz-Antey is "incompetent", I said they are "owned by Russian state".
    And it is a second time you sidestep my question - this time with an irrelevant quote that pertains to an altogether different case.
    Maybe third time you'd care to answer?

8. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Everybody is owned or sponsored by someone you just need to put it in context. If you are serious about the issue this may be an interesting read:
    http://energia.su/mh17/buk_vids/fake_buk_vids.html

9. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

First of all, Russia is not "someone", they are the primary suspect in this case.

Secondly, one can obfuscate things as much as one likes, trying to cast as much doubt on individual pieces of evidence as possible, but that does not change the fact that there is no alternate explanation that would be even remotely plausible.

10. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Of course no one says otherwise. But why dont you start at the beginning? Cui bono? What is Russia to gain by downing that plane? Absolutely nothing.

11. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Which is why the most logical explanation is they mistakenly took it for another Ukrainian military transport. Like this one.

12. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Was there Buk involved? The fact is the rebels had no need of Buk system.

13. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

In the above case? No.
    On the other hand, "rebels having no need of a BUK system" isn't "a fact" but "a claim" - and one without any basis in logic at that.

14. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

The logic is of course that taking down planes from high altitudes who pose no danger in civil war conflict like this has no meaning and its the reason why Russia would be foolish to send such a system there while everything else could be taken care off for rebels by regular SAMs. Ukraine on the other hand was fearing of hypothetical Russian invasion and likely had all of its four systems active on the eastern border.

15. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

I'd wager a system like this easily beats regular shoulder-launched stuff at lower altitudes too.
    And a plane traveling from west to east is pretty hard to mistake for a Russian invasion.

16. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Who says it was a mistake?

17. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

So MH17 was an actual Russian invasion? I must admit I haven't heard that one yet.
    This story has potential, do go on.

18. red_elk

red_elk Deity

A plane heading towards Russian border on about 10 km. altitude is pretty hard to mistake for an Ukrainian military transport either.

19. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Its time for some real journalism: https://consortiumnews.com/2015/10/20/mh-17-case-old-journalism-vs-new/

Please note that whoever is going to post things like bellingcat reports and simmilar fables with serious face will be regarded as a laughing stock.

20. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

So what do you believe happened?