The Sacred And The Profane - new DLC for Old World - On steam, Epic and GoG Jan 16th

nolegskitten

Warlord
Hello, we are pleased to announce that we are nearing the release of our second DLC for Old World, "The Sacred and The Profane" event pack.

It will provide new events, characters, projects and missions, expanding upon the religions in the game. "The Sacred and The Profane" will be released on Steam, GoG and Epic on January 16th :)

Moderator Action:

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2261870/Old_World__The_Sacred_and_The_Profane/
GoG link: https://www.gog.com/game/old_world_sacred_and_the_profane
Epic link: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/old-world--the-sacred-and-the-profane

The price is 4.99, right now with a discount of 10%, so 4.49!

News links:
- https://www.pcgamesn.com/old-world/dlc-sacred-and-profane-release-date
- https://www.gamesenquirer.com/post/old-world-finds-religion-in-the-sacred-and-the-profane-dlc

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see some new DLC! Was wondering if the game was going to get anymore so this is definitely welcome.

Also, if you guys are going to release more in the future, I would love see a DLC with new starting rulers, similar what you did with Greece, and some unique families for each nation. And new nations are always welcome as well, thinking specifically of India but anything new is great.

Thank you very much to the helpful moderators who amended my post with all the relevant information I somehow failed to provide :thumbsup:

Hello folks,

While it's really nice to see the game getting more content, I don't think more events and characters is what the game needs at the moment. Surely mods add these things? I think the game really needs fleshed out trade and resource mechanics and I would like to see the dynasty play deepened as well, along with some new civilisations. I find it odd that additional leaders were given to Greece a long time ago and then nothing for any other nation.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Oh wow, this is arriving very soon! As in about 12 hours from now!

According to the news articles it's launching for $5 (£4.50). So less than a Taylor Swift album and with only slightly more advanced notice. It's a refreshingly non-EA price so I won't even have to think about whether to pick it up. Religion is also an area where I've mostly glossed over in my playthroughs, so some more depth there is appreciated.

I don't think more events and characters is what the game needs at the moment.
My guess would be it's more of an "expansion of opportunity", i.e. the event creation folks had the time to create a themed, event-focused expansion while some of the other staff were working on an Unannounced Project, possibly a "meatier" expansion, that wasn't ready for events yet. Better to have a themed, event-focused expansion than to have those folks twiddling their thumbs :).

I agree that it's a bit odd that only Greece has more than one leader, but am hopeful this will not be the last expansion.

Oh wow, this is arriving very soon! As in about 12 hours from now!

According to the news articles it's launching for $5 (£4.50). So less than a Taylor Swift album and with only slightly more advanced notice. It's a refreshingly non-EA price so I won't even have to think about whether to pick it up. Religion is also an area where I've mostly glossed over in my playthroughs, so some more depth there is appreciated.

My guess would be it's more of an "expansion of opportunity", i.e. the event creation folks had the time to create a themed, event-focused expansion while some of the other staff were working on an Unannounced Project, possibly a "meatier" expansion, that wasn't ready for events yet. Better to have a themed, event-focused expansion than to have those folks twiddling their thumbs :).

I agree that it's a bit odd that only Greece has more than one leader, but am hopeful this will not be the last expansion.
In about 12 hours... I hope you're right. Going on 11 hours now...

Is there anyway to enable or disable DLC? I didn't see any and was curious if there was one.

Is there anyway to enable or disable DLC? I didn't see any and was curious if there was one.
No there isn't......... yet. I believe we're working on something though.

No there isn't......... yet. I believe we're working on something though.
Cool. While you are here, are their patch notes for the new DLC? I noticed that the individual shrines are now listed on the tech card, which I think is a new change.

That was a couple updates ago I think. There are no patch notes for the DLC specifically, it's the same build as last week so the same general notes.

JumboPixel has done a wrap of the DLC.
That is if you like him. I'm an Aussie, so it's law for me to hate him as he's from New Zealand. ;)

How can I see whether the installation of the DLC worked? After buying the DLC the existing installation seems to be untouched!?

How can I see whether the installation of the DLC worked? After buying the DLC the existing installation seems to be untouched!?
All the content was installed into the base game during the update of Jan 11/12 (depending on timezone). This content is tagged to ownership of the DLC, and will become active after purchasing the DLC. There is no additional download required, as long as the game can check with the store if owned.

Once the game loads, the quickest way at this point to see if the DLC is active, is from the Main Menu go to EXTRAS --> ENCYCLOPAEDIA and then search for "cult". You should get a list of cults that are available as part of the DLC. If they appear, no need to do anything further. Just load your save, or start a new game. :)

Yes, the DLC is pre-DLC save compatible and will turn on for it automatically. ;)

PS: We are working on a way to display DLC ownership on the main menu. Will be coming soon.

Once the game loads, the quickest way at this point to see if the DLC is active, is from the Main Menu go to EXTRAS --> ENCYCLOPAEDIA and then search for "cult". You should get a list of cults that are available as part of the DLC. If they appear, no need to do anything further. Just load your save, or start a new game. :)
ah. ok. good. then it worked - thanks!

Here's a quick guide to some of the new mechanics in the DLC:

TL;DR:

Clergy

- Clergy are characters that show up in your court.
- To induct someone into the clergy, select your state religion head and choose Induct into Clergy
- Induct into Clergy only shows up if you have valid characters available to induct
- It costs 100 civics and 2 orders and takes 2 years to induct someone into the Clergy
- Clergy are excluded from succession and can't be a courtier
- Clergy cost money upkeep, like other members of your court
- If you induct a family head into Clergy, they'll leave being Family Head the turn after they're inducted
- Clergy have a 25% bonus chance to become religion head
- You get +40 Opinion with Religion per Clergy member
- (Remember state religion benefits to family opinion doesn't go beyond +200)
- Clergy give yields, similar to how Courtiers give yields

Religious Dissent

- If you have negative opinion with a world (not pagan) religion, you can get religious dissent in a city
- Events can also give you religious dissent in a city
- Religious dissent shows up in the Projects view of a city
- Religious dissent causes a chance for rebels to spawn

- You can remove religious dissent in two ways
- With a governor, you can pay 100 training to run the Suppress Dissent city project for 1 year (it will add discontent to your city)
- This is your only option for non-state religious dissent
- For state religion dissent, you can run the city project or you can use the "Quell Religious Dissent" mission available on a clergy member (100 civics and 2 orders, takes 1 year)

Cults

- Cults are like shrines, except you don't build them and get them from events
- They have some pretty strong bonuses
- They also have a chance to trigger negative events

Top Bottom