The Seduction of Wonders

Prozac1964

Warlord
Well, the good news is I've been playing better lately since I learned the importance of science, however I have a bad habit of wanting to build every building that is a wonder. It really is a seduction of sorts, like the buildings are enchanted and I get a "Must Build Wonder" spell cast on me.

Building wonders takes my focus off of science and then suddenly I notice I've fallen behind on my science progress.

First I'll build something like:

Stonehenge - then I get the fever and have to build:
Temple of Artemis - then....
Statue of Zeus - then .....
Colossus - then.....
Great Lighthouse.....

You get the idea. :D For me the thrill is completing the wonder before another Civ builds it. It's silly I know, nonetheless it get's me off task of science, food, pop, military units. And since I've been trying to master dom vics, building wonders is something I think I should monitor better. :blush:

Anyone else have the problem of trying to build all the wonders?? :)

Yeah it is best to only go for a handful of wonders that are good or the ones that help you get to your win condition. If someone else builds a wonder you want, go take it from them :sniper:

I make it a rule to build one wonder per era at most. Exception made for Renaissance.

Try playing on a higher difficulty level. The AI will beat you to them, and you learn to be much more careful in terms of which wonders to pursue.

I like Aea's advice, to restrict yourself to only one wonder per era.

Or, try for a fast domination game starting with CB and don't build any wonders.

I try to only build wonders that will help me towards my victory condition, and only if I think I might be able to beat the AI to it. I know the seduction of wanting to try and build every wonder you can, but it will really get in the way of more important considerations. If you are playing a domination game and are taking over AI capitals, you end up with a ton of wonders anyway.

Yeah, if you're going domination, never build wonders (although sometimes you only get the benefits if you built them). Otherwise be very strategic, and only go after them if they synergize with your Civ and/or victory condition. The later game ones can be easier, since you're so spaced with technology and there are pre-reqs with some wonders. Also, having GE's are nice for making sure you don't use production on lost wonders.

I admit I try to build a lot of wonders if I've got a great start (like salt).

It's a tough habit to break.

Be really careful with ancient era and classical era wonders, because most of them aren't worth building, and on higher difficulties some of them are quite hard to get. Mausoleum of Halicarnassos, Pyramids, Hanging Gardens, Petra and Oracle can be strong depending on the situation so you can try for one of those (you reallisticaly can't expect to build more than one without giving up on something more important). On rare occasions the Great Lighthouse may be ok.

Anyone else have the problem of trying to build all the wonders?? :)

Your next game make a rule that you won't build any wonders... You are allowed to capture them though.

Build order; scout, scout, shrine, settler, settler, settler....

National College by turn 80 and then tech towards education and universities.

Top Bottom