RRRaskolnikov

Goldfish
Hi folks :),

Well, the revenge of Apocalyse Now...

Game settings:

Pangea map (no time to loose on exploration...), standard size
Epic Speed
Emperor
We must win by domination or conquest asap (waiting for tanks is lame :lol:)
Leader: Toku

Beating the AI, discussion, and fun are the focus of this game... 24/48 rule apply...

I included Ramses for giggles :D:

And the start:

Nice overall, waiting for bureaucraty :)... early pottery makes sense.

Roster: room for one brave soul if Pigswill doesn't show up in the next 48h.

Roster:
Shyuhe -> up!
Raskolnikov -> on deck!
Paulus
Diamondeye
Rolo
(Pigswill)

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Toku BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    29.6 KB · Views: 97
Checking in. Probably going to settle in place unless I see something better after warrior 1E.

Worker first, tech AH then BW?

How many turns do I play?

Signing in. As Raskolnikov has already noted this looks like an excellent bureau capitol. AH/Mining/BW makes sense.

Hey Liq, nice to see you in here :) Yes, that Apoc Now really was damned. Let's hope we run into Ramesses early this time... :mwaha: (my use of this smiley has grown on me since we started AN)

@Liq: Tx... hopefully this game will end differently :lol:
@Shyuhe: agree on the tech path... I think play until BW so we can discuss dotmap...

Cheers

You can slot me in for some Toku action if pigswill doesn't show. :)

Well apparently everybody forgot that Toku doesn't start with mining OR agriculture. So I had to tech agriculture -- AH -- mining -- BW. It took... 57 turns :lol: In that time, I built one warrior and one worker, almost finished a settler, and lost our brave scouting warrior to lions.

So on with the report. I settled in place as I didn't see any reason to move. Our capital is in a kick ass location. And those two huts next to our start? Money. Literally:

We have our regular assortment of nuts on this map. Diplo is looking pretty hairy already and we're definitely not getting a mono religion continent this game.

Nut 1:
Spoiler :

Nut 2:
Spoiler :

Nut 3:
Spoiler :

Nut 4 (kind of reasonable guy):
Spoiler :

Nut 5 (only techer of the group):
Spoiler :

And victim:

We got a crappy event to start the game:

Hopefully it won't come to bite us.

BW is in. No bronze nearby. But we do have horses in a good spot. It'd be better if that stupid peak wasn't there. Settler is due in a few turns, we can revolt to slavery and whip it out now if we want (which is probably a good idea since we have pigs + 2 farmed FP).

The northern land:

And around our capital:

We should expand out as far as we can using those gold mines. Then backfill the silver mine when we need the additional :)

Attachments

• Raskolnikov BC-2575.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.8 KB · Views: 80
At least this isn't going to be a fast-teching monoreligious happy continent. Even with only one religion, Monty and Shaka are still going to attack somebody. :D

We have two religious nuts (Monty and Charle) with their own religion and Shaka who's going to attack someone no matter what. Diplo is looking up already... Toku is much better in an environment where everyone hates each other. Japan is of course very good at holding its own in wars due to the Toku military bonuses. ;)

I don't remember saying that I was OK with the settling spot :p ( In fact I'm not: half of the tiles of the BFC are riverside and we aren't :p ). But what is done is done......

So we have 2 nutjobs and 2 religious nuts.... this might be quite interesting :devil:

Wow that looks like a map I rolled. Everyone's favorite Monty, The Burger King, and Mr Shaka... All you are missing is who... Boudica, maybe some Rags?

Perhaps replace Greece for a backstabber like Cathy? lol

You should be glad you rolled up as Japan, else you'd prolly have toku sitting in some critical choke point.

This should be a fun game to Lurk.. Kick those psychos where it hurts!

Cheers!
-Liq

Oh yeah, what a nice set of nutheads! This'll be muuch more fun.

Oh and I second Ricardo's sentiment on the settling thing... By the way, where are we going to settle next? I was actually thinking that the NE corner of our peninsula looks like there could be some nice islands out there, if that's what we want. Otherwise, I guess it's towards horses and all of our brawling brothers!

Hi team :hatsoff:,

The map looks really nice with the two golds and silver... I would grab them asap as well as the stone and marble.
I would try some wonders as the AIs aren't that close, after at least two settlers (horse - gold, and gold - stone)...
Oracle (early Monarchy?), Great lib? both? I don't know if the Mids are doable, but the stone might help with the protective wall trick and fast Moai...

Tech path could be: pottery, masonry , myst, meditation, PH?
Conservative play could be : pottery, Writing...
I think I am up iirc... will play tomorrow :)

Thoughts?
Dotmaps?

Cheers

edit: @Sweetachson: if Pigswill doesn't show up today you are in ;)

I don't remember saying that I was OK with the settling spot :p ( In fact I'm not: half of the tiles of the BFC are riverside and we aren't :p ). But what is done is done......

Yes we can't build a levee but on the upside, we have 3 grass and 3 plains hills and more than enough food to work them. 1E may be better long term but we'd need a settler for the marble then. 1SE would have given more food but I moved the warrior 1NE so couldn't see the wheat.

Oh yeah, what a nice set of nutheads! This'll be muuch more fun.

Oh and I second Ricardo's sentiment on the settling thing... By the way, where are we going to settle next? I was actually thinking that the NE corner of our peninsula looks like there could be some nice islands out there, if that's what we want. Otherwise, I guess it's towards horses and all of our brawling brothers!

I would settle 1NW of the horse. Grow to size 2 working horses, then work the gold mine. 2W of the horse is a stronger long-term site but it'll need a border pop to give us chariots as anti-barb.

Hi guys,

I would have settle 2 west of the gold yeah working the oasis while waiting to whip the monument... barbarians aren't likely to be a huge problem with that peninsula... perhaps I'am too confident this time... anyway there is also one ocean tile which can be a fish :)please:)...

I will play in today, will post a dotmap before so we can discuss further more :)
Any thoughts on the wonders?

edit: Sorry Rolo and DE btw, I thought the cap was a given, we will move slowly now :blush:

Well, I felt dotmapping without more exploration wasn't efficient... and in the end, barb archers prevented us from doing any kind of good scouting... :rolleyes: I played till the end of pottery (no I didn't played 8 turns...).

At the beginning of the round, I moved the western warrior toward the forested plain hill near the gold... you never know :mischief:...

Spoiler :

And indeed, the map generator was kind enough to provide fish! (I swear I didn't worldbuildered anything :p)

At the same time, we got the herboral event:

Spoiler :

As I was planning to whip a worker next (we have fast growth in Kyoto tx to the irragated floodplains), I took the big package, 2 free health for the end of time and two unhappy people to whip :lol:...

Spoiler :

I revolted to slavery.

Research is set to mysticism for a monument in Osaka...
I then went hunting -> archery as they were many archers around and I didn't feel safe with warriors...
I still produced two of them: one is Combat one + cover, trying to reach 10 xp, he is near the sheep - wheat site. Another is going near Osaka to fogbust/defend against barbies...

We have three workers now chopping our second settler (ready in 2 turns with the chop).

Core:

Spoiler :

Stone, gold area:

Spoiler :

For next player: There is an archer in the fog north west of the wheat... dance him!

I marked some sites near Kyoto:
A is for floodplains, silver. I think it should be our next city, for another happy resource and another great source of commerce.
B has two (poor but still) food resources, it could grow our first scientist, work two mines, and whip some troops...
C is a production city with sheep and wheat, a candidate for Moaï...
D is a later filler to work the spice and marble...

We still need more exploration near the other gold and the stone (perhaps for city 4).

Tech path:
I selected IW... it can be usefull as the copper will be grabbed by Monty and with the far too numerous psycho on this map, I think we need more military...
Other options could be:
writing -> alpha -> trade for IW, math
writing ->aesthetics -> trade for IW, math, alpha
other path (sailing? oracle path?)

We need to discuss a little future plans... with the gold(s) and the silver we can tech quite fast in the early game, so we could do various stuffs (cat war, wonder apporach...). We just need to figure out what we wanna do and what is the winning idea on this map :goodjob:

Completely OT:
Spoiler :
just look at this...

6 food resources+ double holy city... tx Capac! I was so chocked when I saw this city I had to share it ;)

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Shogun BC-1925.CivBeyondSwordSave
    83.8 KB · Views: 75
Roster duty ;):

Shyuhe
Raskolnikov
Paulus -> up!
Diamondeye -> on deck!
Rolo
Sweetacshon -> now in!

I would settle #3 next to rice/ivory. It's not a site we want to give Monty if we're going to war, and gold can cover its cost.

Archers don't cross borders that early on emperor. With enough workers and good fogbusting, we should have been able to get the horses online fast enough to protect our cities (read, I hate teching archery when bronze or horses are nearby).

I would tech masonry -- writing -- aesthetics. Monty has better targets than us, and we're protective so archer spam will cover us until construction at least.

I would settle #3 next to rice/ivory. It's not a site we want to give Monty if we're going to war, and gold can cover its cost.

Archers don't cross borders that early on emperor. With enough workers and good fogbusting, we should have been able to get the horses online fast enough to protect our cities (read, I hate teching archery when bronze or horses are nearby).

I would tech masonry -- writing -- aesthetics. Monty has better targets than us, and we're protective so archer spam will cover us until construction at least.

Hum archery is done anyway... the problem is that chariot can't handle spears very well, and now (3.17) they come earlier than axes.
About the ivory: We could still settle the silver next to improve research... to tech faster to IW... to settle (and improve!) the rice ivory site. We would need at least two archers I think to defend the settler and workers heading there as well. Going for the ivory now as is problematic as we don't have the troops to fogbust so far away from Kyoto at the moment, and we couldn't improve the rice (we could improve the ivory but not chop the jungle on it).

I think we need to agree on third city before Paulus play :)

Top Bottom