1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Silmarillion

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Nicheal, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

a CIV2 Test of Time Scenario by Nicheal
    a huge Master Piece made in Germany
    yes yes yo :crazyeye:

There are some MGE Scenarios like -i think- the Scenarios ´Beleriand´ and ´Dagor Bragollach II´,
    but -i think- no Test of Time Scenarios for the Silmarillion.
    I always had the Idea of creating such a huge Scenario for Test of Time.
    And after creating ´The Lord of the Silver Skull´ i had the Skills to do that quite well...

and... i... did. And as i said: yes yes yo!

:king:

´The Lord of the Silver Skull´ i introduced to you CIV Fanatics too early, and now it
    feels like that ´The Silmarillion´ cannot be introduced late enough...
    The Scenario is really huuuge, and a Master Piece of CIV2 Test of Time Art -i think-,
    but for example in Curt Siblings ´American Kingdoms´ you can conquer everything
    quite easily, in Nicheals ´The Silmarillion´ it is not like an easy CIV2 Thing...
    But, at least, i think, there is now a Possibility to play that great Story CIV2 Test of Time!
    And, at last, i did that Scenario like it was in my Mind, and i am very proud of, and i
    could spend my Time being in Awe of it... to PLAY that feels like...

yes yes yo!

Attached Files:

2. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Good stuff! If its as good as you think it should be the best ToT scenario of all time :D

When will you release this masterpiece oh great one?

3. Hans99

Hans99 Chieftain

I remember reading the book, were impressed when the Balrogs appeared to save their master from Ungolianth. Looking forward to this.

Bisch'd a Fässle Maladiez... :goodjob:

4. Arthedain

Arthedain - Celestial Being - SLeague Staff

Looking forward to this one :) I'm never gonna get around to finish my own scenario set in Beleriand :hammer2:

5. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

To be honest, i wait for some reactions. As i said, ´The Lord of the Silver Skull´ i introduced
    too early, to release a 0.9 Version is sad, cause the first Taste of the new Scenario
    is the freshest one, and if there are too many Faults in it, that Taste will become sadness.
    That caused that i wanted to do ´The Silmarillion´ quite perfect before i release it.
    But now, all these Things and Things are done, and everything grew deeper and deeper,
    i dont want to leave these deep Lands of lonely and beloved Artworking, you understand?
    To give that ´magical Piece of Art´ to you Dudes and Guys will end that Taste of lonely Arts,
    but it feels like it ended at last, and i wait for some reactions to develop that Happening to me.

-The Beleriand Map is 120 x 240

-All seven Empires playable
    Orcs (Morgoth), Noldor (Fingolfin), Gondolins (Turgon),
    Nargothronds (Finrod Felagund), Sindar (Thingol), Edain (Hurin), Dwarves (Azaghal)

-The Elves/Edain/Dwarves Events.txt is 90.3 kb

-The Morgoth Events.txt is 90.4 kb uuuuuuu!

-The Units are created by me, and as i ever do:
    I ´patchwork´ out of Catfishs or Fairlines existing Units my own Units
    by using Arms and Legs and Clothes and Helmets...
    and a Graphic Program to recolour all that Stuff.
    I could ask Fairline like Sibling does, but i got no Answer,
    and it is better anyway -i think- there is another Unit Graphic Designer
    (Patchwork Artist) like me to get another Styles, hu?

-You will need the CIV2Unlimited .EXE and .DLL to get all these
    Morgoth Hordes Cheates which you cannot defeat, harr!

-I played a Testgame until Turn 120 and Dagor Aglareb caused the Fall of East Dorthonion,
    the Warc Knights burned East Dorthonion down, and after the Siege of the Town of Aglon
    was unsuccessful by Trolls and Warc Knights, these silly Bastards bypassed Aglon
    by passing the fallen East Dorthonion to South and then to the East for conquering Himlad,
    while Fingolfin defended West Dorthonion holding its Capital

-So what. I finished that Testgame by some Changes in Scenario.SAV and Silmarillion.SCN
    and Rules.txt, made the last few important Changes and now i am here

-O yes. And there are seven Skins for free choose

@McMonkey

At least it will be awesome enough and playable CIV2 Test of Time Art.
    7.84 MB .RAR...

@Hans99

Balrogs? Whats that?

@Arthedain

You should. I would like to see your Beleriand Ruins!

:)

6. McMonkey

So it is not finished right now, correct? Do you have a rough idea how long before it will be finished? Sounds very exciting. Good luck!

7. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

It was finished yesterday, Dude.

The Testgame was about 120 Turns, but the Events.txt Happenings end in Turn 400.
    I would need to do a further Testgame to see if these News work and til Turn 400,
    but THAT YOU could do. No. I think everything is quite done. Dont know what else
    could be done, that Events.txt is over 90 kb fullsize function, and i did not even tell
    you the WHOLE Things... i could release it right now...

:D

8. Hans99

Hans99 Chieftain

Balrogs, Flame of Udun, the fire Daemon that gandalf fought in Moria. They once were many, but at the lord of the rings times the one in moria was propably the last one left.

9. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

Hey Guys! The Glorious of you found out already, that the Silmarillion 1.0 was in the
    Download Database... now my 1.1 is released, the Events.txts are now only
    90.2 kb for Elves/Edain/Dwarves and 90.3 kb for Morgoth, but my .RAR is 7.89 MB now...
    (the most Changes are some Txts here and there, the Events.txt got another .WAV
    for Heroe Risings, and that caused the 0.1 kb Change, and the Unit Values a bit better)

Spoiler Screenshot :

And in the Lands of Beleriand
    the Lands of the Elves and Pain
    as the Dark Lord rises and
    conquers like a damned Flame again

there fight the Noldor and
    there fight the Powers of Light
    to fight back the Silmaril
    but is there any Hope?

There might...

@Hans99

Hahaha! Cool Joke to bluff my Joke!
    A Guy who modds Tolkiens Silmarillion should know -we all know- what Balrogs are...

So, here is the CIV2 Test of Time Scenario ´The Silmarillion´ by Nicheal.

Have fun!

10. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

This seems quite interesting - I'll give it a shot!

11. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

I notice you have "civunlimited" included - What does this exe change in-game?

12. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

Hi Curt!
    I dont know if you ´know´ the Silmarillion (to know for sure, but read it?),
    but there is a third Battle called Dagor Aglareb. I noticed that the most cheated Enemies
    did not appear. If the Scenario reaches the Unit Max it would be better to take CIV2Unlimited,
    like, for example, McMonkey does in his ´Fortress Europe´. He knows more about for sure.

I know some different Test of Time .EXEs: One exceeds the Map 10,000 and another Stuff,
    another is a No-CD Crack, another is an XP Crack, and that CIV2Unlimited.EXE
    is -i think- a Limits Exceeder, nothing else. It is a very good .EXE which i prefer.
    More i dont know. But to give that Scenario a try, Dude, thats a good Idea!

:goodjob:

13. McMonkey

Far out! I'm taking a look now and hopefully I will find time to play properly on the weekend.

As Nicheal says, Civ2Unlimited's primary purpose is a limit exceeder. The most useful limit it removes (or at least moves to an impossibly high level) is the max units which was a major obstacle to many large scenarios, Red Front being a prime example.

14. AGRICOLA

AGRICOLA Chieftain

I just downloaded and installed the latest RAR software and used it to extract the files from the scenario download. All I got was a 7.62 Meg folder full of 58 bitmap images. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Have you ever played the Scenario for the full 400 turns using Ely's CIV2/TOT Unlimited? I've used the Unlimited.exe with no problems on at least 10 scenarios but only once on a scen over 100 turns. In that instance, the game blew up on turn ~130 for no apparent reason and there were inexplicable changes in the save. I have no idea if this was an isolated problem or something intrinsic to the Unlimited.exe.

Can the scen be won in a reasonable number of turns, less than 200 for example? I have found that the most interesting and challenging scens are less than 100 turns in length, in some cases much less - Red Front 1.4, Up the Deadly Boot, Lost Legions, the various versions of Lord of the Rings, Market Garden, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: Repeated download and extraction. This time got all the scen files. Definitely another modern day miracle! :banana:

15. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

Hi Agricola!
    That would be an ugly surprise that CIV2Unlimited cracks at a Time...
    Dont know. No. I played in my first Testgame until Turn ~120 to see, that all the
    Cheats for the Dagor Aglareb are fully loaded. In my current Testgame i tried to
    conquer Thangorodrim and failed. Now it is Turn ~60 and Fingolfin rose.

Perhaps with FULL Enragement, it would be possible to conquer that damned Town,
    but the Scenario is in fact not created to conquer Angband... that is a bad Thing
    in my Scenario that you have to fight Morgoth, but you cant defeat him.
    The Silmarillion is created to create a High Elvish Empire and to develop everything.

To try to conquer Angband, but to fail. Perhaps when you are able to build Catapults,
    but that Tec will need its Time to research for. O yes. I know two Things which can
    blow up Test of Time: If your Terrain Transformations include a Loop, and if your
    Tec Tree includes a Loop. And when you transform or research, bang! out.

I hope that CIV2Unlimited will work properly, or i must decrease the Units Cheats...

:blush:

16. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Hey, I'm not playing CivII but people still making scenarios for it so long after it's been released is praiseworthy. :hatsoff:
    Still, it's Beren Erchamion, not Ercharmion :)

17. Hans99

Hans99 Chieftain

@ Takhisis

Nichael is from Bavaria, they have their own description for everything ;)

18. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

Forgive me for saying so, but a scenario that has not been playtested to the end, is not finished. A scenario should be repeatedly playtested by the designer to the last turn, and preferably by others besides, before it is released. This is not only to eliminate bugs, but also to ensure the scenario is balanced and challenging.

Recently there have been a number of incomplete scenarios released. If a scenario doesn't have a Readme file or Victory Conditions, then it is not finished. It's great that we have some new folks willing to take on the onerous task of building scenarios, but a Civ2 scenario, particularly one made using ToT, is a major project. Perhaps new designers could consider more modest projects in order to be able to provide us with a finished product?

19. Ingvar VII

Ingvar VII Chieftain

The scenario looks awesome.
    The map should be a bit more explored for the factions, beyond just the areas around each city. Makes it very confusing to play as is, even though I have played other Silmaril scenarios, and read the book again and again.

20. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

@Takhisis

Yes, that sucks all the Time.
    Tolkien was a Linguist, who made his Stories out of the Elven Language.
    And on the Basics of the different Language Developments of Britain and Germany,
    some Words are replaced, like Ercharmion. In Germany it is Beren Ercharmion.
    In Germany, for example, is the Spider which Gollum uses to kill Frodo, named Kankra.
    In Britain, i think, is she named Shelob. These crazy Idiots replaced even personal Names
    by the ´Changeling´ of British and German Language!
    I hate that much... but if you, @Takhisis, and you, @other Guys, want to find another
    Names false in Britain, say it! I will NOT take a crazy-making Look into the world wide
    Changelings of Tolkiens Languages, which is completely idiot, i think.

@Hans99

God bless Bavaria! :)

@techumseh

There is nothing to forgive. Said i, that it is finished? I said, i released it.
    So that some Guys could play and critizise it, so that i could do the same.

For example, i found out that to make a CITYPRODUCTION with Wonders
    it produces Errors.

Spoiler Events.txt :
    @IF
    CITYPRODUCTION
    builder=anybody
    improvement=42
    @THEN
    PLAYWAVEFILE
    DwarveWarrior.wav
    TEXT
    ^^
    ^^The Dwarve Blacksmith was built, the
    ^^legendary Halls of Secrets and Powers!
    ^^
    ENDTEXT
    CREATEUNIT
    incapital
    owner=triggerreceiver
    unit=Dwarve FirstAxe
    count=12
    veteran=no
    homecity=none
    @ENDIF

@IF
    CITYPRODUCTION
    builder=anybody
    improvement=47
    @THEN
    PLAYWAVEFILE
    Evil.wav
    TEXT
    ^^
    ^^The Hammer of War was built, the
    ^^mighty and brutal Whip of Strength!
    ^^
    ENDTEXT
    CREATEUNIT
    incapital
    owner=triggerreceiver
    unit=Troll
    count=6
    veteran=no
    homecity=none
    MODIFYREPUTATION
    who=TriggerReceiver
    betray=8
    @ENDIF

@IF
    CITYPRODUCTION
    builder=anybody
    improvement=59
    @THEN
    PLAYWAVEFILE
    Evil.wav
    TEXT
    ^^
    ^^The Great Emperor has risen, the
    ^^dark and bloody Reign of Death began!
    ^^
    ENDTEXT
    CREATEUNIT
    incapital
    owner=triggerreceiver
    unit=Balrog
    count=3
    veteran=no
    homecity=none
    MODIFYREPUTATION
    who=TriggerReceiver
    betray=8
    @ENDIF

For the Mithril Mine as a normal Improvement these Files seem to be ok, but for
    these Wonders it seems that this Wonder is not done, and that Wonder is done every Turn
    while it is not even built yet. Had to take these three Files out of Business.

techumseh, i cannot find all the Bugs, even the greatest Modder :)king:), cannot
    find all the Bugs, cause there is much to think about, much to proof and much to fail,
    cause Test of Time makes many Faults, and i am only Nicheal, not techumseh.

My Intention to create ´The Silmarillion´ was, that i had this great Scenario in my Mind,
    and i wanted to see that manifested for real, wanted to create a smooth
    Terrain Graphics and Values Set to get a new Kind of Terrain Development,
    wanted to create smooth Unit Graphics for all the Elves, Edain, Dwarves and Orcs
    to balance these great Units in Nicheal Style, wanted to create a huge Beleriand Map
    for a Scenario Two Map plus Space Ship Game, wanted to create smooth Town Graphics,
    wanted to create smooth and expensive Improvements and Wonders for a long Journey
    to conquer, to explore, to fight, to develop a smooth Empire. All that is done, Dude.

And if there are Bugs, Dude, i wanted that this Game is basically there, in my thought Way.
    And if a Guy thinks, there could be another Thing done, then do what is to do!

I wanted to create a whole new World, a whole new Way of Beleriand to PLAY Beleriand,
    to conquer Angband is nearly impossible, is, for sure, the Major TARGET, but not the Major

ENJOYMENT of the thought Game. There are no Victory Conditions. I wanted to create
    the Joy of playing Beleriand. You can conquer, explore, fight, develop, you can do
    nearly everything with Terrain, Units, Improvements, Wonders, Wars, you can do
    the Space Ship Game, you have two huge Maps to explore, a whole Tec Tree, and all
    is free for Joy, nothing else. Angband in the North is the constant Breath of Pain,
    which forces you, until the Events.txt overcheats your Game by conquering everything,
    and you have only little Hope to succeed as built Empire, like it is in the Silmarillion itself.

@Ingvar VII

Yes, you are right. :D
    Many Scenarios are completely uncovered Map and have Victory Conditions or
    Major Objectives for 80 til 100 Turn Games. I try to create an absolutely free Game,
    in which you can develop every single Way. To cover the whole Map forces you
    to conquer your own Empire and to explore your Enemies and Allies. I wish to enjoy
    the uncovering and discovering of the whole Game itself.

What would be there in Beleriand, IF you defeated Angband or Morgoth?
    There would be Beleriand and its Empires. Develop your Empire, thats the Game.
    And enjoy Beleriand...

(and help me little Modder to find all these silly Bugs, i cannot! Beren Erchamion tells)

:)

-Has anyone played over Turn 130 to see if CIV2Unlimited still works? (my 2nd Testgame is actually ~110)
    -Release of the 1.2 Version of the Silmarillion, @techumseh: the final Version, hopefully, will be 2.0!
    Dwarve Values better, Archers/Ballista/Catapult/Trebuchet x2 vs Flights, Warc more expensive,
    these 3 Wonder CITYPRODUCTIONS out, Events.txt the Cheatment of Angbands Armies ´better´ i hope

1.2 Version released

O, hey Guys, an interesting Thing: To cancel the Option to buy Enemy Towns i deleted the File in Game.txt.
    That works very well... i hope. Any Comments?