The Sims 2 | "Nehru" Legacy Challenge (Reader Participation Welcome)

Smellincoffee

Trekkie At Large
I've been playing The Sims 2 ever since its release in 2004, but I've never completed a 'legacy challenge', in which I play a given family through ten generations. There are lots of rules for scoring and so on (this many points added for sims who die happy, so many points taken away for Sims who pass out into their spaghetti, etc), but I'll not be keeping track of all the little victories and failures. That's tedious. The challenge will be to stay interested in this family alone for ten generations, and so I'm going to open parts of it up to readers -- particularly in naming kids.

First, let's meet our Founding Father, Hieronymous Nehru. Hiero, or "Harry", is a Knowledge sim who is active, neat, and nice. His heart's desire is to be a City Planner, but for the moment he's a scientist. Knowledge sims are obsessive about wanting to learn skills, and are eager to try being abducted by aliens, turned into a witch or vampire, and saved from death. Hiero is also a Fortune sim, meaning he'll want a constant barrage of increasingly nice things.

The rules for Legacy challenges require the founder to buy a 5x5 plot of land, which leaves him or her with only a little over $4000 to spend on furniture and such. Rather than wasting money trying to build a home I don't have the means to complete, I build a little shower/toilet room and let Hiero be an outdoorsman.

Meet the neighbors, doubtless curious about who might've left a storage shed and a bunch of furniture sitting out in the middle of an open field.

Study faster, Hiero. The sooner you get promoted, the sooner you don't have to sleep in the snow.

Hiero's social life.

When not at work or chatting on CFC, Hiero works on his skills so he can manage to make pop-tarts without setting fire to his..er, field.

Eh...blue!

Nice going, Hiero. You're not poor enough.

It appears the weather has decided to add a foot of snow to Hiero's decor. I'm thinking I may need to improve his living situation soonish.

Attaboy, Hiero. Keep this up and you'll get a roof!

Helpful hint: take a shower before hitting on your coworker.

After a night spent (alone) in a tent partially engulfed by snow, Hiero's looking a little frostbitten.

I can't have my founding father die of cold, so I decide to spend all of Hiero's savings on walls...

....and linoleum. That's the secret to getting girls. Show them your brand new linoelum.

Hiero's prowess in Cooking, Cleaning, and Logic see the promotions keep rolling in. It's hard work, though, and sometimes Hiero can't handle it:

Aren't you glad you passed out onto sparking clean linoleum instead of wet, dead grass?

Still, with all the money he's earning, he now has fancy wallpaper, an actual stove, and a dishwasher. Now he doesn't have to tote his dirty dishes out to the trashcan anymore.

Seeing as he and Kim have become such great friends, and have in fact made out a time or two, Harry inquires about Kim's job. She's at the top of the Scientist career, with great hours and good pay.

Two days is plenty of time to get to know someone, right?

And so they marry, and Kim brings money ($5000) which I use to buy a bed. They need babies, after all.

Excellent. No work required here, and she can do all the cooking and leave Hiero to study his cleaning and logic.

You may proceed with the babymaking.

A Mad Scientist with an interest in tinkering? That can only mean one thing: Giant Death Robot.

...well, maybe I could let her rest, seeing as she's pregnant and all.

...ooh. Looks like Generation 2 is on its way.

And it's there, shortly before the birth of Generation 2, that I leave off. What shall their new child be named? ... that's in your hands, because as of now suggestions are open.

Casey? Tatiana for a daughter...

Mr. New Vegas. :p

Alternatively, Billy Joe - or Billie Joe, if it's a girl.

Well, this is getting off to an interesting start! Will be reading intently. Also: Willhelm if boy, Sam if girl.

Sorry to leave you hanging, there, Kim. I mean, Chris. (I don't know why I've been calling her Kim.) Proceed.

IT'S A GIRL!

...and thus our first possible heir, named by FeelGood, enters the house. (Well, shack.)

"Chris" goes off to her first day on the job as a Mad Scientists, dressed rather suitably for it, I think.

Hiero's skills are really coming along.

...and someone obviously appreciates it!

Time passes quickly, and soon Tatiana is ready to enter her toddling years. Oh, boy.

If she's going to toddle, she might as well learn to do it properly.

Because I hate having to call for grocery deliveries, almost every lot I play has a garden so Sims can restock their refrigerators by themselves. I don't know how tomatoes and eggplants are turned into pork chops and lobster, but that's the miracles of technology for you.

Hiero and Chris have kept themselves busy, I see.

Soon, there will be giant death robots. Soon.

Eeny, meeny miny -- theory.

Well done, Hiero!

Given that Tatiana is getting too big for that crib, she'll need a bed-- and your charming little shack is showing the limits of its size.

Given that I only built this shack so Hiero wouldn't drop dead of cold, it's worked surprisingly well until now. The only pathfinding problem they have is that no one can access the bathroom when Chris is working on a robot.

After moving all their furniture into a neat pile, I tear down the shack and make an actual home for the Nehru family. That large puddle marks the shack's bathroom. They already had most of their needed furniture, but now they have three bathrooms, new counters (ones that AREN'T slabs of plastic bolted into the walls), and room to grow.

Kim and Hiero discuss how nice it is to have tables, electricity, and windows. Before they sat living their lives in a dark box made of drywall.

The years have been good to this former lab rat who spent his days huddling in a tent.

Now the old "yard filled with furniture" and succeeding shack have been replaced by a proper, if mostly empty, home....

...and his family is growing.

It's a boy!

Generation 2 is now two persons strong, and unless Hiero and Chris surprise me, that's where I'll leave it. The rules state that only one of them may become Heir and live in the house, while the other -- "the spare to the heir" must take off on his or her own, to be more or less forgotten about unless the heir dies before having kids. I don't know who will succeed Hiero: we'll see who is most worthy as they grow up.

Kaiser. Can't have a female inheriting the whole bloody line!

Only time will tell...

Good story, makes me want to reinstall it. :goodjob:

Nehru Legacy Challenge 2.2
------------------------------

Tatiana is also the name of a Christian saint, the patron of students. It's fitting that Tatiana spends virtually all of her time playing chess.

She may not have a name that hearkens to the glory of Rome, but she is a model student...

Isn't it nice to have a family dinner? These guys used to eat on the couch or standing up. Both Hiero and Chris are sporting pudges now.

Your days of idling are over, Kaiser: time to justify your popularity.

...well, I guess you can learn to walk first.

Well, I can't see anyone discovering that in a research plant, so...desert it is!

Only a step away from Mad Scientist now, Hiero!

...why is he wearing pink?

:sad: So embarrassing. They have plenty of money, but I tend to forget to send them to fetch their bills. He only steals the old outdoor chess set, though, so I replace it with a proper set and provide comfortable chairs to boot.

You've been a Scientist most of your life, Hiero. Just what have you been DOING out in the field and in the labs if not doing science? (That pop-up only happens when a Sim participates in their preferred hobby for the first time.)

Playing CIV? Ah, well. Carry on.

Winter in Riverblossoms Hills (the relatively unplayed neighborhood in which I'm using for this Legacy) are long and cold. "Snow days" in which Tatiana doesn't have to go to school are common.

Kaiser's toddling days are a roaring success; he acquires several Creativity points when not learning to walk, talk, pee, and intimidate his parents by screaming at them.

Oh, come on, guys. Empty nest syndrome is a long way off. You don't need to make another baby.

Odds are you can't, anyway. You're not as fertile as you used to be. (I have a mod called Autonomous Casual Romance, which allows Sims to pursue Romantic interactions with sims of their own accord, instead of me having to force them. That includes Woohoo.

How's about a friendly wager, kids? Whoever wins becomes Heir.

Don't do that yet! Who won?

..usually one Sim starts crying or throwing things, but both of them just laughed at game's end and I didn't see who won, despite focusing the camera on them for its entire length...

Tatiana is now a teenager. Game rules say I'm supposed to roll the dice to see what her Aspiration is, but I'll stick to my own method of looking at her personality, interests, and preferred hobbies. Tatiana is very outgoing and sociable, and interested in people-centered activities like Politics and Entertainment, so I make her a Popularity sim with a secondary Knowledge aspiration.

I'm glad the game randomizes her Likes and Dislikes, though sometime there are odd combinations.

Oh, come off it. You are NOT pregnant.

Let's go with...Intangible. I'm taking a risk here: Hiero is guaranteed a promotion this time, because Chris and Tatiana spent ALL DAY talking on the phone and making friends for him. Usually I never do chance cards when there's a guaranteed promotion in the wings, but since this is a Legacy challenge, I decided to take every card he gets.

...suit yourself, Hiero. Doesn't leave you a lot of time to complete Science and transition into Architecture, though.

Tatiana is interested in Tinkering, like her mom, so she's working as a mechanic and making toy robots on mom's Giant Death Robot station.

...huh. Guess she was pregnant.

It must be love.

Ack! TWINS?
:eek:

Well, time to submit your favorite twin names -- and I don't know their sex yet, so they can be both male, both female, or mixed.

The one above just beats everything, but I might as well try.

Pollux and Castor

Top Bottom